Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 10:22 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times

Advertisements

I tuned in a bit late and he was saying that he didn't have much of a science background but he had read some book by someone whose name he had already given so I didn't catch the name, but it was some anti-evolution book which he had read three times and he (a guy who admitted that he didn't have much of a science background) said that the science in the book against evolution was absolutely rock solid (No, is isn't). But then he said, ''And by the way, did you know that the latest evidence from the Webb telescope is that there was no big bang''? Then in a smug voice he said, ''Really! I never would have guessed.'' And that had me doing this -

NO!!!!! That is not the evidence from the Webb telescope. Astronomers are not panicking over anything that the Webb telescope has shown and they are not now doubting the big bang (except for those who never held to the big bang model in the first place). That is internet click bait misinformation which some people (young earth creationists) are only too eager to accept as a fact. But it is not a fact. The big bang model is not in doubt by any astronomer who previously accepted it as valid.

I turned the broadcast off and am going to take a shower and go workout at the gym.

Good grief!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2022, 10:35 AM

923 posts, read 240,137 times
What if everything you see in the world around you is God's eternal decree made visible by his creation of time, space and matter.

In Hebrews 11:3 the writer says; “By faith we understand that the worlds were set in order at God’s command, so that the visible has its origin in the invisible.”

Calvin translates it; “so that they became the visibles of things not visible,” or, not apparent. And then says; “thus the same truth is taught here, as in Rom. 1:20, where it is said, that the invisible things of God are made known to us by the creation of the world, they being seen in his works.”

So are we looking at eternity made visible through the matter God created to make it visible? And this can easily fit into 6 literal days. Because the distances and age were already here. Only now made visible 6-7000 years ago.

The same way metal shavings when dusted on a piece of paper with a magnet below, reveal the magnetic waves. Like a huge house, light-years across. Where God applies matter and all the lights come on at once. Taking moments for what would take trillions of light-years using space-time measurements.

This is just my theory and it seems to reconcile science and the bible.

Old 08-28-2022, 10:55 AM

88 posts, read 33,516 times
On the evangelical radio station that I sometimes listen to when I work out in the garage, I was surprised to hear one of the hosts that I regard as at least semi-rational launch into a defense of a young earth.

His point was that Adam and Eve were created as fully formed adults.

If you'd asked Adam on the day he was created how old he was and he'd said one day, you would've said "Gee, you look like you're 35 or 40!"

Similarly, god created a fully formed earth.

I can't remember what this theory is called, but it's basically the idea that when you read a novel all the characters and settings are fully formed and you know nothing about their histories before chapter one.

I admire the creativity, but it's beyond stupid.

No one really and truly believes the earth is 7000 years old.

It's the ultimate example of what I said about organized religion in general on a thread I just started: posing, posturing and pretending.

Old 08-28-2022, 11:03 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,393,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonked View Post
On the evangelical radio station that I sometimes listen to when I work out in the garage, I was surprised to hear one of the hosts that I regard as at least semi-rational launch into a defense of a young earth.

His point was that Adam and Eve were created as fully formed adults.

If you'd asked Adam on the day he was created how old he was and he'd said one day, you would've said "Gee, you look like you're 35 or 40!"

Similarly, god created a fully formed earth.

I can't remember what this theory is called, but it's basically the idea that when you read a novel all the characters and settings are fully formed and you know nothing about their histories before chapter one.

I admire the creativity, but it's beyond stupid.

No one really and truly believes the earth is 7000 years old.

It's the ultimate example of what I said about organized religion in general on a thread I just started: posing, posturing and pretending.
That would be a shock to those who do truly believe the earth is between 7 and 10 thousand years old.

Old 08-28-2022, 11:13 AM

23,175 posts, read 10,468,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I tuned in a bit late and he was saying that he didn't have much of a science background but he had read some book by someone whose name he had already given so I didn't catch the name, but it was some anti-evolution book which he had read three times and he (a guy who admitted that he didn't have much of a science background) said that the science in the book against evolution was absolutely rock solid (No, is isn't). But then he said, ''And by the way, did you know that the latest evidence from the Webb telescope is that there was no big bang''? Then in a smug voice he said, ''Really! I never would have guessed.'' And that had me doing this -

NO!!!!! That is not the evidence from the Webb telescope. Astronomers are not panicking over anything that the Webb telescope has shown and they are not now doubting the big bang (except for those who never held to the big bang model in the first place). That is internet click bait misinformation which some people (young earth creationists) are only too eager to accept as a fact. But it is not a fact. The big bang model is not in doubt by any astronomer who previously accepted it as valid.

I turned the broadcast off and am going to take a shower and go workout at the gym.

Good grief!!!
I know right, that stuff just popped up about like the same click bait that says," WHAT'S THIS? SCIENTIST AT NASA JUST LEARNED OF SAHARA DESERT TO CAVE INTO A HIDDEN SEA."

So irritating when they figured out how people were cllcking on James Webb, now its the same photo over and over proving the dumbest untrue stuff, heck, I should have done the same. So irritating.

Old 08-28-2022, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
That would be a shock to those who do truly believe the earth is between 7 and 10 thousand years old.

6000 years old, it sure made watching cool dinosaurs shows hard to do when everyone knows God created the world with the bones already in the ground, that they never lived, he's God, he can do anything.

I mean, I am 5 years old when the Flintstones came out, and dont even get me started on Barbara Eden, the most beautiful GODDESS anyone had ever seen or heard of being a teen in the 70's the wicked Pagan Goddess that I adored. Couple months ago I saw people making fun of her for getting old and some people need to be slapped, sorry, when I was young, you just didnt say whatever you wanted especially about an adored aging most beautiful woman ever born or who will ever be born because she got old?

Hope she has fun being tortured in hell for eternity lol.

Certainly, if you believe the earth is older than 6000 years old or you watch ungodly tv you must be an Atheiest, now go and get all your Kiss Album cause we having an alley bonfire where burning vinyls will release demons all night.

Old 08-28-2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
6000 years old, it sure made watching cool dinosaurs shows hard to do when everyone knows God created the world with the bones already in the ground, that they never lived, he's God, he can do anything.

I mean, I am 5 years old when the Flintstones came out, and dont even get me started on Barbara Eden, the most beautiful GODDESS anyone had ever seen or heard of being a teen in the 70's the wicked Pagan Goddess that I adored. Couple months ago I saw people making fun of her for getting old and some people need to be slapped, sorry, when I was young, you just didnt say whatever you wanted especially about an adored aging most beautiful woman ever born or who will ever be born because she got old?

Hope she has fun being tortured in hell for eternity lol.

Certainly, if you believe the earth is older than 6000 years old or you watch ungodly tv you must be an Atheiest, now go and get all your Kiss Album cause we having an alley bonfire where burning vinyls will release demons all night.
Lol you are aging yourself HF, and your age must be very close to mine. Maybe it was gazoo who put the bones in the earth

Old 08-28-2022, 12:42 PM

88 posts, read 33,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
If there were any, it would be a shock to them.

The age of the universe and the earth have been established to a level of scientific certainty that exceeds my certainty my car is in my garage.

Unless god is a devious cosmic jokester who just enjoys messing with peoples' minds, and we can't trust the brains and senses with which the same god has ostensibly blessed us, young earth creationism is lunacy on the same level as flat earthism.

I firmly don't believe any young earth creationist could pass a polygraph test.

But then, some people insist they actually believe Scientology is true, too.

Old 08-28-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:

The age of the universe and the earth have been established to a level of scientific certainty that exceeds my certainty my car is in my garage.

Unless god is a devious cosmic jokester who just enjoys messing with peoples' minds, and we can't trust the brains and senses with which the same god has ostensibly blessed us, young earth creationism is lunacy on the same level as flat earthism.

Well it must be nice to know what everyone believe and they would have no problems passing a polygraph test.
I think they are mistaken but for you to say they cannot really believe what they say they believe is putting yourself in the place of God.

Old 08-28-2022, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Now wait just a min, we flat earthers arent connected with the young earth people. We are about to send our own rocket up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity