Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2022, 09:54 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,142,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Christ founded a society that He called the Church. This society was endowed by Christ with real Authority.

That's awfully naive. Witchcraft, occultism, Voodoo/Hoodoo, Druidism, New Age spirituality; these are not spiritualities tainted by man?
Christ's "church" is of people in general; not organizations, denominations, and specialized groups that man organizes and controls. There was absolutely nothing organized in the true church of Jesus' time as a body of believers, which occurred freely, openly, and naturally. Formalized churches are an affront to God, as though man can somehow get it better or more right than what Jesus simply set up.

And awfully sad that you offended God by lumping the Holy Spirit with witchcraft, occultism, etc. No wonder why you are clueless in the ways of God. You don't have the Holy Spirit to correct you and fend off all the erroneous teachings and ways of your Catholic Church. You've allowed yourself to become a prisoner to religion, and mouthpiece for flawed men.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 09-28-2022 at 10:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2022, 11:05 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:
Yes. I aim to follow the whole counsel of God - the full Apostolic Tradition of which Scripture is a part. You have rejected the entirety of the Apostolic Tradition in favor of only a part of it - Scripture alone.

I understand that your system satisfies you; but when I lived it, I found it unsatisfactory and now find it untenable.
You completely ignored my point--that when we believe an organization simply because it says "believe me", we open ourselves to all sorts of things.

Again...why believe the RCC over the LDS or Watchtower? They also claim tradition and divine authority imparted by special revelation.

Old 09-28-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
You should investigate the claims for yourself and determine which is more credible.

You know a tree by its fruits.
I have. That's why I believe the idea of perpetual virginity, and the Marian dogmas to be false.

Old 09-28-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
She is a "perpetual virgin" because she is state of purified mind.
You realize, of course, that the Catholic Church teaches that she was assumed bodily into Heaven, right? Her entire physical body as she had on earth is said to exist in Heaven. She did not die and was resurrected, or changed, according to their teachings. There was no purification according to the teaching, as they believe she was immaculately conceived without sin and that she never had to be purified.

Old 09-28-2022, 11:15 AM

11,428 posts, read 5,973,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Does that mean her marriage to Joseph was illegitimate? I've seen couples get annulments because they didn't consummate the wedding. What of Mary and Joseph?

An illegitimate child can't be born to a married couple, by definition.

Def. illegitimate - begotten outside of wedlock.

It is true that not consumating marriage is one condition for a trouble free annulment, but the lack of consumation doesn't negate the marriage process. There is no legal requirement for married couples to ever have sex.

Some trivia: a child married to a couple who were married fraudulently is still not an illegitimate child as lont as the parent believed they were married. This would cover couples who were married by a fake priest or fake Justice of the Peace, or a ship's Captain at sea. As long as the couple sought in good faith to be married and believed an authority had married them, their child is legitimate.

Old 09-28-2022, 11:15 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Quote:
You completely ignored my point--that when we believe an organization simply because it says "believe me", we open ourselves to all sorts of things.

Again...why believe the RCC over the LDS or Watchtower? They also claim tradition and divine authority imparted by special revelation.
We don't believe an organization *simply because* they say "believe me". We believe because their claims of legitimacy are credible.

I do not believe the LDS or JW claims to be credible.

Old 09-28-2022, 11:16 AM

Quote:
We don't believe an organization *simply because* they say "believe me". We believe because their claims of legitimacy are credible.

I do not believe the LDS or JW claims to be credible.
The fact that you can't see the irony of this is astounding.

Old 09-28-2022, 11:17 AM

19,973 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Yes. He could have still been fully God and fully man any way He chose to. He could have sprung out of the earth already fully God and fully man.

He wanted to be born of a woman.
I, too, was born of a woman.

Old 09-28-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
An illegitimate child can't be born to a married couple, by definition.

Def. illegitimate - begotten outside of wedlock.

It is true that not consumating marriage is one condition for a trouble free annulment, but the lack of consumation doesn't negate the marriage process. There is no legal requirement for married couples to ever have sex.

Some trivia: a child married to a couple who were married fraudulently is still not an illegitimate child as lont as the parent believed they were married. This would cover couples who were married by a fake priest or fake Justice of the Peace, or a ship's Captain at sea. As long as the couple sought in good faith to be married and believed an authority had married them, their child is legitimate.
No one called Jesus "illegitimate". The question is regarding the marriage. And, if they were married but chose not to consummate it, it can certainly be said that they did not seek in good faith to be married. That would have made them merely roommates.

Old 09-28-2022, 11:20 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Quote:
The fact that you can't see the irony of this is astounding.
The Catholic claim that it is the very society founded by Christ is a credible one that is backed up in many different ways, including by simply following the historical line of succession.

The LDS claim to possess the restored Apostolicity is not credible.

Where do you see irony here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity