Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 06:26 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times

Advertisements

Does that mean her marriage to Joseph was illegitimate? I've seen couples get annulments because they didn't consummate the wedding. What of Mary and Joseph?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2022, 07:18 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
This strikes me as a uniquely Catholic preoccupation rooted in the conflation of chastity with virtue. I could be wrong. I just don't know anyone asking this "pressing question" but Catholics. Paul didn't help much of course with saying remaining unmarried was the more elevated route in life, and marriage was a concession to people's "weakness", so it would imply that Mary could not be venerated if she had stooped to the horrible low of having sex.

Personally I never really understood at a gut level why it's so important that Mary was a virgin at all. Probably back in the day it was thought that the curse was transmitted through the man, but we know today that any genetic trait could also come from the mother's side, so there's no real protection in Mary apparently receiving some magic sperm from on high. Jesus should have just sprung out of god's forehead straight to earth, really. So this whole thing strikes me as some epic level crazy nonsense. Why make things more complicated than they need to be?

Old 09-27-2022, 07:20 AM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Does that mean her marriage to Joseph was illegitimate? I've seen couples get annulments because they didn't consummate the wedding. What of Mary and Joseph?
No, because it was always intended to be a continent marriage. There was no expectation of sexual relations.

Old 09-27-2022, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Personally I never really understood at a gut level why it's so important that Mary was a virgin at all. Probably back in the day it was thought that the curse was transmitted through the man, but we know today that any genetic trait could also come from the mother's side, so there's no real protection in Mary apparently receiving some magic sperm from on high. Jesus should have just sprung out of god's forehead straight to earth, really. So this whole thing strikes me as some epic level crazy nonsense. Why make things more complicated than they need to be?
The virgin birth is an historical claim. It's not that it necessarily had to be that way, but that's how it was. God could have come into the world any way He saw fit.

Believe the claim or don't, but it's not some manufactured solution to satisfy some kind of logical problem.

Old 09-27-2022, 07:34 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
The virgin birth is an historical claim. It's not that it necessarily had to be that way, but that's how it was. God could have come into the world any way He saw fit.

Believe the claim or don't, but it's not some manufactured solution to satisfy some kind of logical problem.
Do Catholics hold that god was fully man and fully god at the same time? I suppose the would necessitate Jesus being born to a human woman at least, if not a virgin -- rather than, say, simply appearing out of nowhere or something of that nature.

Old 09-27-2022, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Do Catholics hold that god was fully man and fully god at the same time? I suppose the would necessitate Jesus being born to a human woman at least, if not a virgin -- rather than, say, simply appearing out of nowhere or something of that nature.
Yes. He could have still been fully God and fully man any way He chose to. He could have sprung out of the earth already fully God and fully man.

He wanted to be born of a woman.

Old 09-27-2022, 08:14 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Quote:
No, because it was always intended to be a continent marriage. There was no expectation of sexual relations.

Even the Revised Standard version of the Catholic Bible doesn't agree with you. Here are the last two verses of Matthew 1.

24 When Joseph woke from sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him; he took his wife, 25 but knew her not until she had borne a son; and he called his name Jesus.

I think we all know our scriptural euphemisms to know what "knew her not" meant. And the word "until" means that it eventually happened.

Then there's the New American Bible, Vatican Edition

24 When Joseph awoke, he did as the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took his wife into his home.
25 He had no relations with her until she bore a son, and he named him Jesus.

By relations, I'm pretty sure they don't mean having discussions about the household checking account.

There is no scriptural basis for Mary's virginity. The origins of the myth of Mary's perpetual virginity didn't appear until the 2nd Century with the non-canonical Protoevangelium of James.

The argument for Mary's perpetual virginity is further undermined by Luke 2:7, which describes Christ as Mary's first-born son. That is a very odd choice of words if Mary remained a virgin afterwards. Why include that descriptor at all? Why not describe as her only child?

And of course, there are several references in the Bible to Jesus's brothers and sisters, which the Catholic church has to tap dance around by naming them cousins. Yet cousins was a complete different word in the languages of the time, just as it is today.

In other words, Mary and Joseph almost certainly went on to have a passel of kids after the birth of Christ in the normal way. Does this make Christ any less holy? Does it make Mary any less blessed? Of course not.

Why should we care? The problem with this kind of nonsense is that the encrustation of myth--especially when such myths are flatly contradicted by our own Bible--creates doubt for everything else.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 09-27-2022 at 08:53 AM..

Old 09-27-2022, 08:30 AM

17,801 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
If God can do the impossible thing of making a virgin give birth...

then obviously he can make a non- virgin still be a virgin if he wants.

He's God.

Old 09-27-2022, 09:52 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
So you believe Joseph and Mary INTENDED to have marital relations after Jesus was born?

Old 09-27-2022, 10:04 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
Mary is the princess of the universe for some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity