Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 06:53 AM

23,275 posts, read 10,574,851 times

Advertisements

Some people go through life grinning, always happy when things go wrong. I had a customer like that and it wasnt a fake mask, it was a woman deeply into religion, maybe not that well educated but she was serious about the passion she had for life and always finding the good in people.

I dont know if it's a hoax, but they got this new therapy with a 40 percent chance of rewiring your brain. It sounds crazy as hell, they put you in a medical position with nurses around promising nobody ever died from it, and the effects only last about an hour.

I dont know if it's some kind of acid or magic mushrooms or what, but they claim 40 percent of people are happy all the time after their brain got rewired.

Kinda reminds me of that House episode where dude tried to throw a hand grenade and it blew his hand off but he could still feel the hand.

Anyhow, House being who House is, he broke into dudes house, drank all his codeine cough syrup, basically held dude hostage until he put his hand in a box to let go of the grenade he couldnt let go of.

Then he just let House walk out like he did nothing wrong after he stole dude"s vicodin, well, he didnt need them anymore anyway.

Good times, good times.

Bueller?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2024, 10:36 AM

88,867 posts, read 85,323,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
The other point I like to make adjacent to this one is, "how exactly would anyone ever tell the difference between an absent god, an indifferent god, a god so capricious in its actions that they are indistinguishable from random happenstance, or a non-existent god?"

I haven't been inclined to think of my journey so much in terms of what I did or didn't feel, as in terms of what did or didn't prove to be true or to work as advertised. Maybe that's just me being a dude, but I would have been okay with living 100% by faith and 0% by feelings if god would answer when I called out to him by meeting some practical and non-self-serving need. Protecting my loved ones for instance. Because if god had fulfilled his extravagant, explicit and lavish promises to me as a believer, I would have at least had the feeling that it was a good thing and that all was right with the world. Feeling safe, grounded, valued and affirmed is better in my book than just feeing some disembodied joy or something. While having actual conversations or something would be even better, I could live with just palpable evidence of god's interventions in my life. But alas ... bupkis.
You might have a point there. Upthread, EscAlaMike said he didn't think of emotion as a factor in friendship (my paraphrase) which struck me as odd, but that may fall into the same category of female v. male perspectives. My friends are my friends because they are people for whom I have a close emotional attachment, not because we have common goals as EAMike said. In general, of course. Not going down that road any further.

Old 05-03-2024, 05:22 PM

20,167 posts, read 13,604,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You might have a point there. Upthread, EscAlaMike said he didn't think of emotion as a factor in friendship (my paraphrase) which struck me as odd, but that may fall into the same category of female v. male perspectives. My friends are my friends because they are people for whom I have a close emotional attachment, not because we have common goals as EAMike said. In general, of course. Not going down that road any further.
Lol yeah I guess I won't touch that with a 20 foot pole, either ... I am at least able to listen very patiently and attentively as my wife talks through her emotional experiences of and with her friends, so there's that ;-)

Old 05-03-2024, 10:32 PM

88,867 posts, read 85,323,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Lol yeah I guess I won't touch that with a 20 foot pole, either ... I am at least able to listen very patiently and attentively as my wife talks through her emotional experiences of and with her friends, so there's that ;-)
Good, good, always nice to see a well-trained man.

I hope Mrs. mordant is doing well.

Old 05-05-2024, 05:57 PM

149 posts, read 31,863 times
If Jesus is having all these personal relationships why are thing so bad.I believe the bible says the holy spirit guilds you which is Jesus.If Jesus spoke to me I would check with a doctor or a pastor to make sure I'm not nuts. Everyone wants a sign from God.Personal relationships with Jesus are a recent addition to Christianity and we are told we must feel this now or there is something wrong with our faith.I will say no I don't if I said I did I would be lying Jesus does not speak to me but the holy spirit I can say I have experienced.I refuse to answer anymore because how many people lie when they are asked that question?If Jesus speaks to you your a special person and I am happy for you but for most of us we will not have that experience.

Old 05-05-2024, 07:21 PM

5,527 posts, read 7,373,688 times
I have had many many acquaintances over the years. Some I would loosely refer to as "friends".

The fact is that I have had just a few friends that I would consider true friends.

We know each other intimately. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

We can be vulnerable with each other. We can rely on each other.

We LOVE each other. IMPERFECTLY.

But there is One friend Who is the PERFECT friend. Who Loves Perfectly.

And I know that because, in my better moments, I desire to be a PERFECT friend.

And I have the PERFECT "instructor"

Old 05-06-2024, 08:32 AM

10,095 posts, read 5,018,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul888 View Post
If Jesus is having all these personal relationships why are thing so bad.................
I find Jesus forewarns us at Matthew 7:21-23 because MANY would call Jesus as Lord but prove false to him.
Also, in both Matthew chapter 24 and Luke 21 Jesus lets us know how bad things will get. ( darkest before the dawn )
The world scene is as described at 2nd Timothy 3:1-5,13 because many display the selfish distorted form of love which is in sharp contrast to the Christ-like love defined at 1st Corinthians 13:4-6; John 13:34-35

Old 05-07-2024, 03:58 PM

43,495 posts, read 18,592,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul888 View Post
If Jesus is having all these personal relationships why are thing so bad.I believe the bible says the holy spirit guilds you which is Jesus.If Jesus spoke to me I would check with a doctor or a pastor to make sure I'm not nuts. Everyone wants a sign from God.Personal relationships with Jesus are a recent addition to Christianity and we are told we must feel this now or there is something wrong with our faith.I will say no I don't if I said I did I would be lying Jesus does not speak to me but the holy spirit I can say I have experienced.I refuse to answer anymore because how many people lie when they are asked that question?If Jesus speaks to you you're a special person and I am happy for you but for most of us we will not have that experience.
I call it "spirituality"...something that I felt was missing from organized religions.

Have you ever watched a sunset/sunrise and just marveled at it ?
If you have and it gives you "this feeling" then God talked to you.
Nature is God's world..that's where he "talks to you".

Old 05-07-2024, 07:23 PM

20,167 posts, read 13,604,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I hope Mrs. mordant is doing well.
She is doing well considering 3 major surgeries in the span of 8 months. Back on track with getting exercise and regaining full strength. She is restarting some planned activities. In good spirits. It's great to see her mostly herself!

Old 05-08-2024, 02:24 PM

11,128 posts, read 6,721,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I call it "spirituality"...something that I felt was missing from organized religions.

Have you ever watched a sunset/sunrise and just marveled at it ?
If you have and it gives you "this feeling" then God talked to you.
Nature is God's world..that's where he "talks to you".
This is really helpful. Nature is how I see God and "experience" God. We get to see marvelous sunsets over the ocean and it is very moving. So are all God's critters and their incredible adaptations.

But to me, that is a separate experience from what a "friend" feels like. In a book I read recently, Jesus "Friendship" with us was described as being our advocate in heaven, before God. He is pleading our case, so to speak, intervening for us.

So maybe he's more like a nice no-fee lawyer, than what we consider a "friend"....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity