Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 02:30 PM

3,211 posts, read 1,058,593 times

Advertisements

He's an avatar, giving unconditional love, regardless of the person. It can be a reformed criminal, or it can be a devoted saint. His love is the same.

If you (in general) give love to Jesus, he takes it and gives it to God.

Just my understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2024, 04:08 PM

10,095 posts, read 5,014,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post
He's an avatar, giving unconditional love, regardless of the person. It can be a reformed criminal, or it can be a devoted saint. His love is the same.
If you (in general) give love to Jesus, he takes it and gives it to God.
Just my understanding.
Unconditional love "IF". Please notice that little word 'if' at 1st John 1:7 because 'if' carries with it a BIG meaning "IF...."
I like that you brought out ' reformed criminal ' because the wicked are 'destroyed forever' - Psalms 92:7; 104:35; 145:20; Prov. 2:21-22

Last edited by Matthew 4:4; 05-08-2024 at 04:22 PM..

Old 05-08-2024, 04:21 PM

10,095 posts, read 5,014,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
...................But to me, that is a separate experience from what a "friend" feels like. In a book I read recently, Jesus "Friendship" with us was described as being our advocate in heaven, before God. He is pleading our case, so to speak, intervening for us.
So maybe he's more like a nice no-fee lawyer, than what we consider a "friend"....
Since a friend sticks closer than a brother - Proverbs 17:17 - and usually even a nice no-fee lawyer is Not such a friend.
If you were arrested for a crime you did Not commit but the Judge issues the death penalty for you, how would you feel
A voice in the courtroom speaks up and says to you, " I'll take your punishment in your place " How would you feel
The Judges then asks the person, " Are you sure? "
The person replies to the Judge, " Yes Father I am sure! " How would you feel ?
That is the type of friend Jesus is to you.

Old 05-08-2024, 04:26 PM

1,271 posts, read 577,119 times
Is "Jesus as a friend" any different than kids who have imaginary friends?

If so, how?

Old 05-08-2024, 05:03 PM

20,151 posts, read 13,593,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
Is "Jesus as a friend" any different than kids who have imaginary friends?

If so, how?
In my observation, you don't often see Christians imagining Jesus' side of the conversation. To the point that when they occasionally do, it is jarring and seems sacrilegious. I remember a pentecostal radio preacher or TV evangelist -- might or might not have been Oral Roberts -- who would sometimes pretend to be interrupted in the middle of an oration, tilted his head quizzically, and then ask, "what was that, Jesus? ... oh, Jesus just reminded me to tell you ..."

For the most part, Christians seem to admit only to God "impressing something on them", or "sensing something" spiritually, but they leave a lot of weasel room as they don't want to be seen to be so ridiculous as to actually be conversing with God, or make some claim for something god said that turns out to be totally wrong or not to come to pass, etc.

I heard the following joke told by a charismatic Christian once: A guy was giving a prophecy, which began: "Behold, when Elijah led the children of Israel through the Red Sea ..." The guy sits down after giving the word from God, his wife whispers in his ear, and he stands back up: "Behold, I the Lord your God hath made a mistake..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity