Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 12:53 PM

157 posts, read 243,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
Tee hee hee, Big T came into the room while I was reading it and I was SOBBING. It is a beautiful story but you have to get through a sad start, just wanted to warn you. You seem to have a very sweet gentle spirit! I cry at every sappy commerical,movie, book...yep I am also crier...tee hee hee. But I also enjoy a lot of laughter!

It's the curse/blessing of possessing empathy! I'll let you know what I think of the book when I read it. I read fast, so I should be able to get it done in a day, but I probably won't be able to pick it up until tomorrow. From what my friend said today and what many of you have said on this board, I'm certain I'll come away with a lot to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 01:08 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieCT View Post
Uh-oh. I guess that means I better have the tissues ready before I start reading! I'm a crier when I read sad books or watch sad movies.
Christie, it really was a wonderful book, imo..I saw nothing in it that I think God would condemn us for ..It is great insight to anyone having trouble with understanding the term "trinity" because I have really never heard an explanation that was easily understandable..I think if I were a grieving parent the parts about Missy in the afterlife would have helped me find closure and release..

Old 04-27-2009, 01:13 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,884,865 times
I agree Miss Blue. This book has helped me in a lot of ways. My relationship with God was strengthend because of it and I know others whom it has really made a connection with. All from a beautiful story from a father to his children. I just love that. I love the way the RELATIONSHIPS are portrayed in this book. Beautiful.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:59 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Christie, it really was a wonderful book, imo..I saw nothing in it that I think God would condemn us for ..It is great insight to anyone having trouble with understanding the term "trinity" because I have really never heard an explanation that was easily understandable..I think if I were a grieving parent the parts about Missy in the afterlife would have helped me find closure and release..

He presented the Trinity wrongly.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:06 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
He presented the Trinity wrongly.
I think he did a pretty good job of explaining the three persons of the trinity as I have posted several posts in this thread about that, I won't repeat what has been said..I have no problem with your opinion, and I have to respect you for it, it just isn't mine

Old 04-27-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
The friend who recommended it to me today had it recommended to her to help her deal with the untimely death of her husband. Don't worry, Miss Blue--I'm not deterred in the slightest by those accusing it of being blasphemous or heretical (if anything, it just makes me want to read it more . . . )

By the standards of some people on this board, I am a heretic. Thank goodness they don't burn people at the stake anymore (at least, not yet).

But I will definitely cry. I lost my father when I was 3, my stepfather right before I turned 12, and my mother in 2005 when I was 29. And none of those losses could ever prepare me for the loss of any of my children, so the premise of this book will definitely be very tough for me (tears are inevitable). But I also think that books like these, if it is what I think it is, can help those who are intimate with grief to cope better with the pain of it. That's what I'm hoping for, anyway.

I'll be sure to share my experience with the novel when I'm through reading it.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:09 PM

I just finished reading The Shack. Wow. There are so many things to say about this novel, but I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't read it, but I will say that it is profoundly moving and very thought-provoking.

I highly recommend it.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:13 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,884,865 times
Wow Christie...awesome. You can post about it. We have all through the thread! Did you need the tissues?

Old 04-28-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
Wow Christie...awesome. You can post about it. We have all through the thread! Did you need the tissues?

I cried on and off through the whole thing. The only part I felt kind of bad about at the end was that I know, where I am spiritually right now, that I couldn't have forgiven the man who killed his daughter the way he did. I hope one day I get to the place spiritually where I could do that, but I know that, at least at this moment, I haven't gotten to that place yet.

What was interesting for me on a personal level is that a lot of the concepts discussed in this novel (such as evil and darkness only existing in their opposition to goodness and light, which means that, in the current world-construct, you can't have one without the other) are ideas my husband and I have discussed for years but were wary of discussing with certain people we know--I get the impression that a lot of the people I've met on this board (like you little T) found the same thing when you read it. Did it make you feel less alone in your thoughts and questions, too?

Added to that, it raised some ideas that were wholly new and original to me, ideas that I can't wait to discuss with my husband, and with anyone else on here who's interested!

Last edited by ChristieCT; 04-28-2009 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: I really need to learn to proofread BEFORE posting . . .

Old 04-28-2009, 12:32 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i read it. good book. the mid book transition of some 5 pages was rough. kind of sloppy and smaltzy. the rest was good.
1st 1/2 was basic trama of a child snatching. the last 1/2 was classic explanation of evil and role of foregiveness for the christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity