Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 09:21 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
That's where it is! In Corinthians. I remember studying this in school.

Works great for those who have the pick of the litter early on. Marry someone I'm not attracted to or burn? Today, most people would keep burning. St. Paul was somewhat "disconnected" from reality when it came to sexual matters. Many scholars even think his words should not be taken literally. Furthermore, his advice is certainly out of touch with today's times and the litigious climate on the marital playing field.
No, he was not disconnected or out of touch. He knew when to fast [many forms of it] and pray when the flesh was begining to get out of control. He learned that the Law of Christ was to die daily to self so as not to be repressed. Too much suppresion of the human nature leads to a repressed person more potent of evil. Better to be hot or cold Jesus said then to be in between/luke warm.

God can not deal effectively with self deceived people but He can deal with people who are honest and seek a real solution in dieing to self by being resurrected to a newness of nature daily until layer upon layer you become like Christ. Jesus said take up the cross daily by seeking and then obeying.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
How does this apply to men making up new sins and forcing them onto others as if God were somehow involved?
It only applys to what God has revealed to the individual, not what I say or what others say. There are some things that may be sin for some but not for others. Sin that is basic to us all is spelled out in the Scripture. I don't need to add to that.

Last edited by garya123; 08-10-2012 at 09:39 PM..

Old 08-10-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
All sin is forgivable and if someone truely has Christ in their heart they are forgiven even before they sin, but sin still makes their relationship questionable.

I have prayed on this repeatedly and in my opinion it would be a sin such as overeating, laziness, overdrinking (not being an alchoholic just not knowing your limit or not not paying attention to haw many you drink). Anything done in excess can be sin but not unto death.

I have struggled with this topic as well as many other temptations and I just take them to the Lord in prayer and repentance because I don't know for sure if they are sins or not. Remember Paul lived his remaining days with a thorn in his side and prayed to be released from it and God told him "My grace is sufficiant." It was never revealed what this thorn was.
The thorn as the Scripture says was a demon that sought to condemn Paul any time he got puffed up because of his vast knowlege of the Lord. Satan is the accuser seeking to destroy through sin. It is written, "Knowlege puffs up but love edifys."

Paul had to learn always to humble himself and use the knowlege given for the edification of the Church not just something to vainly boast about. If he got out of line he heard from that devil who sought a foothold to further plague Paul. Paul was reminded by that, that only by walking humbly with God would he retain all the strength of peace, joy, love and wisdom needed to overcome the devil and continue the work of the Lord.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:29 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
No, he was not disconnected or out of touch. He knew when to fast [many forms of it] and pray when the flesh was begining to get out of control. He learned that the Law of Christ was to die daily to self so as not to be repressed. Too much suppresion of the human nature leads to a repressed person more potent of evil. Better to be hot or cold Jesus said then to be in between/luke warm.

God can not deal effectively with self deceived people but He can deal with people who are honest and seek a real solution in dieing to self by being resurrected to a newness of nature daily until layer upon layer you become like Christ. Jesus said take up the cross daily by seeking and then obeying.
Say it straight out. Keep masturbating and you will perish! Am I correct?

Old 08-11-2012, 07:51 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
... Sin that is basic to us all is spelled out in the Scripture.
I agree.

God lays out and explains all sin.

Quote:
... I don't need to add to that.
You do not 'need' to add onto God's Word. I agree here as well.

Adding Man's Doctrine onto God's is bad.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Say it straight out. Keep masturbating and you will perish! Am I correct?
No, not saying that at all. All have differant things to overcome and at differant times. Human nature is so complex that Jesus said judge not and condemn not. Judge not that a person is as capable as perhaps you are or not in overcoming certain things and when they fail, condemn not but rather encourage.

Last edited by garya123; 08-11-2012 at 10:34 AM..

Old 08-12-2012, 05:12 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
No. I masturbate when ever I want to. And I am a Christian. I was never taught that this was wrong - not by my church or by my parents.

Where do people come up with this?
They make it up. The scriptures are certainly silent on the topic. And anyone who claims they never do it is very likely a liar or perhaps in certain cases asexual.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:18 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
They make it up. The scriptures are certainly silent on the topic. And anyone who claims they never do it is very likely a liar or perhaps in certain cases asexual.
Masturbate away, folks. It's all religious babble and guilt. You'll sleep better at night. And you'll be more efficient the next day.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:05 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,398,845 times
Yes it is a sin and should be punished, in the Middle Ages they used to whip the sinner's genitals

take a look to the holy books for more info

Old 08-13-2012, 06:44 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
It's something that believers that need to overcome. If you're not a born-again believer it does not matter as you are not justified by Faith in Christ and have received forgiveness of sins although there are varying degrees of damnation in which all will receive just penalty for their "works".

Justification comes by the Grace (unmerited, undeserved) free gift of God to an individual's repentant heart. So anyone looking to receive Salvation from Eternal Damnation - Justification by Christ - simply needs to humble themselves and seek God's forgiveness. Regeneration leads to obedience of the Faith/response to the gospel message producing fruit by the indwelling Spirit.

Believers need to hate sin. Masturbation is a sin of the flesh. We are to present our bodies as a living sacrifice. Sometimes I wish I'd get physically beaten when I fail in this, but ascetic practices does not please God. We have to overcome by the power of the Holy Spirit remembering these sins put Jesus on that Cross.

It's not easy sometimes in this day and age where sexual images are just about everywhere you look, but there is no excuse. The believer is not only letting themselves down but the Lord and the entire body of Christ when a member falls into this type of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.