Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 09:36 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar5822 View Post
I don't know about you, but if I had magical powers, I wouldn't tell a soul.
I'd be working with every scientist and doctor trying to get cures for diseases. The thing that gets me is when people claim they have powers and would rather show off their so called talents instead of doing better things. It's like when people accused Criss Angel of having powers. He said in a radio interview that if he had powers, he'd have actual time for a life instead of creating new illusions and filming his show. Not only that, but if he had actual powers he would not waste his time doing magic tricks. He's be helping people. People who claim to have powers are nothing more than illusionists without the title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 09:42 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed Liberal View Post
I don't know what you are talking about, there are many verses proving what I said. You have covenants, that's why one was called "OLD" and the other "NEW". Those particular Laws did not make it into the New Testament

You make the same mistakes as many Christians who buy into prosperity preaching, taking that from the "OLD" testament trying to apply in into the New Testament and still using Old Testament standards, it was done away with but they still cling to it because they love the idea of God making them rich.

(anyway this is getting off topic. If you want to talk further then start a new thread or find a similar. I will respond)
Actually what you speak of has a theological name to it: The Deuteronomical Worldview, something I most certainly do not subscribe to. It's a very strange departure from the substance of my remarks, and shows that you're really not interested in anything but blathering on with your own comments.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:04 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
I see no real difference in the Harry Potter stories than,say, Star Wars or any other fantasy lit. Hogwarts seems no different than the Jedi Academy in that the students are learning to use and channel energy( or magic if you will) in a classic good vs evil setting. I don't think that Rowling is promoting occultism or the worship of darkness. The stories are intended to be fun though I do agree that they are not always appropriate for very young readers. I have read them and so has my son. My wife is a very religious lady and she sees no issue with the stories. It's fantasy, pure and simple. There are no references to christian deities or demons nor to any other religions in the stories. Just good against evil in the most simplistic form. I see no need to get overly exited about Harry Potter. He's just a fictional character in a fictional setting. IMHO

Old 10-08-2008, 10:22 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
I will try to get back on topic here.

I don't like the worldview that comes across in most media today. God is eerily absent from most families and situations in ficitonal stories. Supernatural power is increasing as a theme in works, especially that directed toward children. My daughter is reading a current trilogy that is very popular, the name escapes me, but it centers around a family of good and bad vampires.

I would prefer they find avenues of entertainment that is more God centered, but it isn't going to happen in the Hollywood driven culture of our day. Instead I use it to open up a dialogue with them on a Christian worldview and point out how much of what the characters are seeking in good vs. evil battles and use of supernatural powers is to be found in a relationship with Jesus. I point out specific issues that I see that divert from biblical teaching and ask questions, not in a pounding the bible over their head sort of way, but in context of how it contrasts to what we stand for and believe as a family of faith.

As a father that is responsible for raising children, my first responsibility is to raise them in a home of faith, live that faith in front of them and teach them how that faith is pertinent in every area of life. I cannot isolate them from things of this world I don't like, but I can teach them how to be "in this world and not of it." To let my kids read Harry Potter and not point out that the setting of witchcraft and magic that envelopes the whole story line is not a biblical viewpoint is negligence on my behalf. I don't care if it is what gets kids to read, I don't care if there are good themes running through the stories, the basic premise is unbiblical and my children need to be able to discern that.

However, I must add that banning these books and movies, especially as they enter teen years, is a dangerous precedent as well. They will come in contact with a world view opposite to Christianity. Instead of isolating them and pretending that there is not a war for their hearts and minds, it is better to deal with the culture we live in head on and show how our faith is real in any and every situation.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:32 AM

789 posts, read 1,334,485 times
If you don't like Harry Potter just let your kids read the Bible. They get the infanticide, genocide, war, death, plague, vengeance, magic, rape, etc all in one convenient book. Honestly, to the people that think reading Harry Potter is equal to practicing witchcraft: I hope you don't procreate.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:42 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancofu View Post
If you don't like Harry Potter just let your kids read the Bible. They get the infanticide, genocide, war, death, plague, vengeance, magic, rape, etc all in one convenient book. Honestly, to the people that think reading Harry Potter is equal to practicing witchcraft: I hope you don't procreate.
That's a "Nazi" thing to say.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:43 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
Are you against Harry Potter books and movies because of the magic and witchcraft stuff? Why or why not?
If one's against Harry Potter, than I'd assume they'd be against Wizard of Oz? I see nothing wrong w/ enjoying the books and movies. You can watch the movies as a family and discuss the good and evil just like Lord of the Ring movies.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:45 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I think they're invaluable to get kids (ages 10 and up) interested in reading. If christians want to get kids into reading fiction, they should come up with something just as good instead of simply complaining about what's already been written.

It neither promotes witchcraft nor condemns it. JK Rowling doesn't even believe in magic.
The Narnia series of books by C.L. Lewis are an excellent reading.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:47 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
If one's against Harry Potter, than I'd assume they'd be against Wizard of Oz? I see nothing wrong w/ enjoying the books and movies. You can watch the movies as a family and discuss the good and evil just like Lord of the Ring movies.
Yeah, I agree with this. Where do we draw the line? There's Star Wars as someone else mentioned, Wizard of Oz, Lord of the Rings, A Christmas Carol (don't forget the ghosts of Christmases Past, Present, and Future), and then there's the entire realm of Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Toothfairy as well in which there obviously has to be some magic going on. Are "good" Christians limiting exposure to all of these things as well?

Old 10-08-2008, 10:51 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Yeah, I agree with this. Where do we draw the line? There's Star Wars as someone else mentioned, Wizard of Oz, Lord of the Rings, A Christmas Carol (don't forget the ghosts of Christmases Past, Present, and Future), and then there's the entire realm of Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Toothfairy as well in which there obviously has to be some magic going on. Are "good" Christians limiting exposure to all of these things as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
You have to be kidding, if you can't see anything wrong with that statement you just agreed on or made then I don't know what to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity