Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 08:17 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,992,865 times

Advertisements

Yes. I really do mean it.

No. I haven't lost my mind. (Yet.)

I have a question for Christians so here I am...back again briefly (hi, Alpha!). I believe strongly in God but am not a Christian. I recently started to become friends with one of the moms at my son's school. I even watched her kids for her once. They had an awesome time. Her children are my younger two's ages almost exactly (5 and 2).

I've been helping her tons with finding freelance work. I even helped her with some wording for a job proposal. I gave her all my freelance URLs to look up and apply to.

I'm crazy about Halloween and my house is all decorated, so I guess knowing this, she sent me some links to Halloween craft sites.

Well, I wrote her back all excited that I was going to use one of her stencils to recreate this, which I got off of all places a Martha Stewart site and then used for an article I was writing:

Yeah, it's creepy and gnarly. I mean it's for Halloween!

She wrote me back this sentence, no punctuation, no signature, no winkey or smiley face, no nothing:

you are truly sick

I was taken aback but thought maybe she was just kidding. So I wrote her back a cheery note that I hoped she wasn't offended by my pumpkin and that I got it off a Martha Stewart site. I did not hear back from her. I know she's been in her email box because she has (inadvertently) been SPAMming me as usual with forwarded stuff (I'm on her list of like a gajillion people).

I saw her at school today. We ALWAYS talk both before and after school. Today she waved halfheartedly at me and whizzed by.

My husband thinks she's a fundamentalist Christian (or he theorizes so, anyway) and that she was horrified by the snakes. Can this be possible? Does this woman think I'm Satanic because I love Halloween and play with snakes? (Well, not routinely. Just this once.) I know this sounds stupid but I'm serious.

Let us face facts here, peeps. Disliking someone's pumpkin is not exactly a logical reason to call someone sick and to never speak to her again.

I know she's on the "very practicing" Christian side because she talks about her church group, and she asked me once if I go to church (I don't) and she gave me these little cartoons for my kids to borrow, called Veggie Tales, which are Biblical vignettes starring cartoon vegetables. So my husband's theory is plausible...

Would any fundamentalist Christians on here be horrified by that pumpkin? This only sounds more stupid the more I type about it so I'll stop here. But my feelings are HURT and I feel like crying and I can't believe I lost a friend over...a pumpkin. I guess I'm looking for an explanation. And she doesn't seem to be forthcoming with one, so........

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 08:22 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,586,374 times
geez what else did you send in the email?

Old 10-27-2008, 08:23 PM

LOL! Just that. But believe it or not, that was the FIRST thing I thought. "Oh my god, did I send the wrong picture?" I thought maybe I'd accidentally attached the lovely photo I got the other day of my husband giving the camera the middle finger because he didn't want his picture taken...........Nope. That was it. Just the pumpkin!

I'm joking around here but I am hurt really deeply.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:24 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,586,374 times
btw if you're not a Christian or don't claim to be then she shouldn't get mad at you AT ALL.

She should understand that you dont hold the same ideas/beliefs as she does, and for her to get mad like that shows that she doesn't have the love of God

Old 10-27-2008, 08:26 PM

Thanks, renriq. I'm sad, I feel sick right now.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:30 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,439,258 times
I will speak base on my knowledge of what I do and don't do. First, I am a believer in Christ Jesus. I've been call a zealot, a fanatic, amongst other things, but to each his own. I do not believe in, nor do I celebrate Halloween. It is possible without intentionally knowing this, you may have offended your friend? Approach her and tell her you are truly sorry for offending her and in order for your friendship to progress, you may have to sit with her and learn what to say and do while you are in her presence, vice versa. All is not lost. Just a misunderstanding of sorts. And yes, you're pumpkin is horrific. (Smile, but I'm sure you intended it to be that way.) Be Bless.

Your soon to be sister in Christ Jesus?

Old 10-27-2008, 08:32 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,620,576 times
I don't even know how to respond to this. I'm a fundamentalist, but this is not how I would react. First of all, please don't take this the wrong way, but I would never have become friends with a person who was not a Christian. The Bible tells us not to be yoked to unbelievers.

Secondly, she has absolutely no right to treat you this way after becoming friends with you. What would I do? Confront her! Ask her what the dealio is and if she is offended because of her religious beliefs. At least you will have your answer.

On a side note...I hate holloween and everything it stands for. But I would never say something like that to you and then just leave you hanging. Her ways are not very Christ-like, imo.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:32 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,153,236 times
I personally feel she is feeling guilty for giving you the sites on which to get the stuff. Probably has nothing to do with you, as it is most likely to do with her conscience. Fundies CAN get that way. Things will be back to normal once the season is done. Does her kids trick or treat with yours? Or at all?

Old 10-27-2008, 08:39 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,505,098 times
LOL, Jerz, your pumpkin scared the bejeebs out of me..Now if those are real snakes, don't expect me to come trick or treatin at your door..Not because of any religious reason..Just those snakes
I think you should enter a contest..Happy Halloween!!

Old 10-27-2008, 08:48 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,499,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
btw if you're not a Christian or don't claim to be then she shouldn't get mad at you AT ALL.

She should understand that you dont hold the same ideas/beliefs as she does, and for her to get mad like that shows that she doesn't have the love of God
She shouldn`t get mad regardless...but unfortunately that`s how a lot of people that are influenced by the church act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity