Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 06:12 PM

793 posts, read 2,215,510 times

Advertisements

I believe the one world religion will be humanism. It is already taught in western countries as Evolution. They gonna try to spread this fantasy all over the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 02:03 PM

11 posts, read 22,219 times
How is it that you can say that the book of Revelations is far behind us?? I challenge that. The book of Revelations is just that.. to reveal
To me it seems that you are taking more of a Esoteric view of Revelations. Which I do not challenge, But the motivations behind such a statement.
I myself take more of a believe that all Christians then alive will be taken up to meet Christ before the Tribulation begins. In this manner, Christians are "kept" from the Tribulation, much as Noah was removed before God judged the antediluvian world
Excerpt..The author of Revelation identifies himself several times as "John" (1:1, 4, 9; 22:8). The author also states that he was in exile on the island of Patmos when he received his first vision (1:9; 4:1–2). As a result, the author of Revelation is referred to as John of Patmos. John explicitly addresses Revelation to seven churches of Asia Minor: Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamos, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea (1:4, 11). All of these sites are located in what is now Turkey. The traditional view holds that John the Apostle—considered to have written the Gospel and epistles by the same name—was exiled on Patmos in the Aegean archipelago during the reign of Emperor Domitian, and wrote the Revelation there. Those in favor of a single common author point to similarities between the Gospel and Revelation. For example, both works are soteriological (e.g., referring to Jesus as a lamb) and possess a high Christology, stressing Jesus' divine side as opposed to the human side stressed by the Synoptic Gospels. In the Gospel of John and in Revelation, Jesus is referred to as "the Word of God" (Ὁ λόγος τοῦ Θεοῦ), although the context in Revelation is very different from John. The Word in Rev 19:13 is involved in judgment but in John 1:1, the image is used to speak of a role in creation and redemption.[10] Explanations of the differences between John's work by proponents of the single-author view include factoring in underlying motifs and purposes, authorial target audience, the author's collaboration with or utilization of different scribes and the advanced age of John the Apostle when he wrote Revelation. Like his Old Testament counterpart Daniel, John was kept alive to receive the prophetic vision.
A natural reading of the text would reveal that John is writing literally as he sees the vision (Rev 1:11; 10:4; 14:3; 19:9; 21:5) and that he is warned by an angel not to alter the text through a subsequent edit (Rev 22:18-19), in order to maintain the textual integrity of the book. Christian tradition says that John the Evangelist was one of Christ's original twelve apostles; the only one to live into old age; and not martyred for his faith. John the Evangelist is associated with Ephesus, where he is said to have lived and been buried. Some believe that after a short life he was exiled to Patmos, where he wrote the Book of Revelation. However this is a matter of debate, with some attributing authorship to John of Patmos or John the Presbyter. It also debated whether John the Evangelist is the same as St. John the Apostle.
To me and my faith, I do believe that the book of Revelations are of a prophecy of things to come, things that shall, and of the final battle, the revelation to John, disciple whom Jesus loved.
Christian beliefs are so far stretched, that only now can the second coming of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, the Alpha and the Omega, the morning and evening star, that we ever fight amongst ourselves. That is the victory that satan wishes to obtain, and I shall not bicker with anyone on their core values, but only to challenge the motive behind them. Where there are three or more gathered in my name, shall I be there. That is the challenge of Christ, to lead us as a group to come together and fellowship.
So shall I leave this to all, even of the peoples that are not of Christian faith. Know this, the prophet Mohammad recognized Christ, as a prophet yes, but that is what our book of Revelations is. To come

Old 12-04-2008, 03:47 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,192,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siss_Bear View Post
How is it that you can say that the book of Revelations is far behind us?? I challenge that. The book of Revelations is just that.. to reveal
Let's not forget it's the "Revelation of Jesus Christ" (Rev 1:1)

The book is a spiritual one, and we must be led of His Spirit to understand what the Spirit is saying to the Churches. (1 Cor 2:14)

Old 12-04-2008, 05:39 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,495,049 times
Quote:
To me it seems that you are taking more of a Esoteric view of Revelations. Which I do not challenge, But the motivations behind such a statement.
I myself take more of a believe that all Christians then alive will be taken up to meet Christ before the Tribulation begins. In this manner, Christians are "kept" from the Tribulation, much as Noah was removed before God judged the antediluvian world
Excerpt..The author of Revelation identifies himself several times as "John" (1:1, 4, 9; 22:8). The author also states that he was in exile on the island of Patmos when he received his first vision (1:9; 4:1–2). As a result, the author of Revelation is referred to as John of Patmos. John explicitly addresses Revelation to seven churches of Asia Minor: Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamos, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea (1:4, 11). All of these sites are located in what is now Turkey. The traditional view holds that John the Apostle—considered to have written the Gospel and epistles by the same name—was exiled on Patmos in the Aegean archipelago during the reign of Emperor Domitian, and wrote the Revelation there. Those in favor of a single common author point to similarities between the Gospel and Revelation. For example, both works are soteriological (e.g., referring to Jesus as a lamb) and possess a high Christology, stressing Jesus' divine side as opposed to the human side stressed by the Synoptic Gospels. In the Gospel of John and in Revelation, Jesus is referred to as "the Word of God" (Ὁ λόγος τοῦ Θεοῦ), although the context in Revelation is very different from John. The Word in Rev 19:13 is involved in judgment but in John 1:1, the image is used to speak of a role in creation and redemption.[10] Explanations of the differences between John's work by proponents of the single-author view include factoring in underlying motifs and purposes, authorial target audience, the author's collaboration with or utilization of different scribes and the advanced age of John the Apostle when he wrote Revelation. Like his Old Testament counterpart Daniel, John was kept alive to receive the prophetic vision.
A natural reading of the text would reveal that John is writing literally as he sees the vision (Rev 1:11; 10:4; 14:3; 19:9; 21:5) and that he is warned by an angel not to alter the text through a subsequent edit (Rev 22:18-19), in order to maintain the textual integrity of the book. Christian tradition says that John the Evangelist was one of Christ's original twelve apostles; the only one to live into old age; and not martyred for his faith. John the Evangelist is associated with Ephesus, where he is said to have lived and been buried. Some believe that after a short life he was exiled to Patmos, where he wrote the Book of Revelation. However this is a matter of debate, with some attributing authorship to John of Patmos or John the Presbyter. It also debated whether John the Evangelist is the same as St. John the Apostle.
To me and my faith, I do believe that the book of Revelations are of a prophecy of things to come, things that shall, and of the final battle, the revelation to John, disciple whom Jesus loved.
Christian beliefs are so far stretched, that only now can the second coming of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, the Alpha and the Omega, the morning and evening star, that we ever fight amongst ourselves. That is the victory that satan wishes to obtain, and I shall not bicker with anyone on their core values, but only to challenge the motive behind them. Where there are three or more gathered in my name, shall I be there. That is the challenge of Christ, to lead us as a group to come together and fellowship.
So shall I leave this to all, even of the peoples that are not of Christian faith. Know this, the prophet Mohammad recognized Christ, as a prophet yes, but that is what our book of Revelations is. To come
Greetings, Siss Bear: I had a difficult time reading your post but tried to muddle through. How can I say that the contents of the book of Revelation are far behind us? Because the book itself declares it to be so!

Do you acknowledge the clear time indicators in both the first and last chapters of the Revelation? Was not John shown those things which were to "soon" take place (Rev. 1:1; 22:6); was he not told that the time for the fulfillment was then "near" (Rev. 1:3; 22:10)?

Was not Daniel told to seal up the prophecy because the things prophesied were for a time far off (Dan. 8:26)? Was not John told to NOT seal up the prophecy because the time was then at hand (Rev. 22:10)?

The contents of the book of Revelation deal with the fulfillment of Jesus' promised coming judgment upon that reprobate, apostate, murderous, and rebellious generation of Jews (see Matthew 23). It is the fulfillment of Jesus' words--"Behold, your house is being left unto you desolate." It deals with the time of the end of the Old Covenant system of types and shadows and the full establishment of the New Covenant in His blood--Jesus Himself being the anti-type of all the OT types!

Will you acknowledge the time indicators in the book of Revelation?

Preterist

Old 12-04-2008, 05:57 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,841,161 times
I believe the verses pertaining to the reformation of Israel being a sign are actually found just before the part about this generation will not pass away. Therefor Israel becoming a nation in 1948 is significant and the generation that was alive at thet time will not pass away until Christ returns. That could be up to 120 years considering at the time of Noah God said let a man time be 120years.

Take a look at Matt 24:32,33, Israel is the olive branch.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
I believe the verses pertaining to the reformation of Israel being a sign are actually found just before the part about this generation will not pass away. Therefor Israel becoming a nation in 1948 is significant and the generation that was alive at thet time will not pass away until Christ returns. That could be up to 120 years considering at the time of Noah God said let a man time be 120years.

Greetings, RobinD69: You are exactly right. The verses pertaining to the fig tree (not Israel) do recede verse 34. Did you also notice that Jesus is speaking directly to His disciples right there with Him? He tells them to "learn the parable of the fig tree. They were to learn the parable. What is the parable? It is this: as easily as one can see the signs of the coming of summer in the budding of the fig tree (See also Luke 21 where Luke adds "and all the trees!"), so should someone know the signs of the times. In this case, it was Jesus' very disciples right there with Him who were to know and see the signs of the times!

Notice what Jesus says directly to them: "when YOU see all these things [to include verses 29-31], [you] know that it is near; at the doors!"

Furthermore, every time and without exception (and there are at least 20 instances!) when Jesus used the expression "this generation" he always meant His contemporaries. Always!

RobinD69: The text does not say "the generation that will be alive when all these things happen." It clearly and simply says "this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place." Jesus is not speaking of some far-off generation but rather He is speaking of that very generation in which He lived--the generation He always, always spoke of when He used the expression "this generation."

The fig tree is a fig tree is a fig tree. To make it out to be some far-removed, future nation of Israel is to read into the text something Jesus never intended. Israel is not the olive branch. Jesus clearly indicated that He was coming back to that very generation, and He did!

In Christ, Preterist

Old 12-05-2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Hello, Siss Bear: May I ask you some simple questions and would you mind answering them from your own insights? Look at Revelation 1:1, 3 and 22:6 and 10. Now empty your mind momentarily of everything you have been taught about this book and read about this book, and tell me honestly what your initial gut reaction is when you read the words: "the things which must shortly take place . . . the time is near."

Is it not your first inclination to think that the things revealed to John in the Revelation were things that were in his day to take place soon because the time of their fulfillment was near--in his lifetime? Is that not the normal, most basic way one would understand such words? Do you not find it interesting that these words are found in both the first and last chapters? Do you not find it interesting that while Daniel was told to seal up the words of the prophecy because the time for fulfillment was far off (Daniel 8) John was told to NOT seal up the words of the prophecy because the time was near?

What do you (not your pastor, not the authors of the books you've read, not Wikipedia, but you) think of these clear words? Why are such strong and repeated time indicators given in the Revelation? Why, Siss Bear?

Preterist

Old 12-05-2008, 04:07 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,754,277 times
Default GENESIS 7000, Thousand Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post

I think this study may correspond with your comments about man life span’ as we know it will be an appointed time and in that time span of God's will, will commence an already things are starting to happen. We have found that there is a biblical calendar and in our Bible, by using the age and birth of people and also generations in the Bible stories and the seven years Jubilee, where I believe a time of famine and the time the harvest and about the fig tree too. This is just my opinion.

GENESIS
And it came to pass; When men began to multiply on the face of the earth and daughters were born unto them. The daughters of men are the unsaved. That the sons of GOD saw the daughters of men that they were fair: and they took them wives of all which they chose. The son of GOD are angel . And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh; yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years. There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that. When the Son of GOD came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown. And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. These are the generations of Noah. The earth also war corrupt before GOD, and the earth was filled with violence. And GOD looked upon the earth, and behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted his way upon the earth. And GOD said unto Noah the end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with Violence through them; and behold, and that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was of evil continually.

And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every fowl of the air, upon all that moveth upon the earth and upon all fish of the sea; into your hand are they delivered. And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every man; at the hand of every man’s brother will I require the life of man. Whoso sheddeth man’s blood by man shall his blood be shed; for in the image of GOD made man. For yet seven days I come to judge the world.

7OOO thousand years

4990BC The Great Flood
7000 years after the flood. The New Testament began (AD) The flood was 4990 (BC).

When you go from the Old Testament to the New Testament there is no year with zero, so you need to add a one.

The Second Epistle of II Peter 3:8But beloved be not the ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. So

II Peterchapter 3 verse 6, 4990 BC, The great flood. II Peter chapter 3 verse 7, By fire, 2011 AD. Genesis chapter 7 verse 10, 7 days to get into Christ.
Since one day is a thousand years and a thousand years is one day, God meant seven thousand years, to get into Christ.

I Thessalonians 5:1-6 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. For when they shall say peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that the day should overtake you as a thief. Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day; are we not of the night, nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.
Luke 17:24-30 For as the lightning, that lighteneth out of the one part under heaven, shineth unto the other part under heaven; so shall also the Son of man be in his day. But first must he suffer many things, and be rejected of this generation. And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man. They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all. Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded; But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all. Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.

As we read in Genesis Chapter 8:22, While the earth remained, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.

7000 years thousand minus 4990 BC is 2010; take the zero and make it a one. 2011? AD

From the Cross, 7000, We had 7000 years to get unto Christ

Could just be true, we know that noah preached the gospel to those people in that time in history as he was building for ark for 120 years

Old 12-05-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWordIsOne View Post
I think this study may correspond with your comments about man life span’ as we know it will be an appointed time and in that time span of God's will, will commence an already things are starting to happen. We have found that there is a biblical calendar and in our Bible, by using the age and birth of people and also generations in the Bible stories and the seven years Jubilee, where I believe a time of famine and the time the harvest and about the fig tree too. This is just my opinion.

GENESIS
And it came to pass; When men began to multiply on the face of the earth and daughters were born unto them. The daughters of men are the unsaved. That the sons of GOD saw the daughters of men that they were fair: and they took them wives of all which they chose. The son of GOD are angel . And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh; yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years. There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that. When the Son of GOD came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown. And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. These are the generations of Noah. The earth also war corrupt before GOD, and the earth was filled with violence. And GOD looked upon the earth, and behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted his way upon the earth. And GOD said unto Noah the end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with Violence through them; and behold, and that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was of evil continually.

And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every fowl of the air, upon all that moveth upon the earth and upon all fish of the sea; into your hand are they delivered. And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every man; at the hand of every man’s brother will I require the life of man. Whoso sheddeth man’s blood by man shall his blood be shed; for in the image of GOD made man. For yet seven days I come to judge the world.

7OOO thousand years

4990BC The Great Flood
7000 years after the flood. The New Testament began (AD) The flood was 4990 (BC).

When you go from the Old Testament to the New Testament there is no year with zero, so you need to add a one.

The Second Epistle of II Peter 3:8But beloved be not the ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. So

II Peterchapter 3 verse 6, 4990 BC, The great flood. II Peter chapter 3 verse 7, By fire, 2011 AD. Genesis chapter 7 verse 10, 7 days to get into Christ.
Since one day is a thousand years and a thousand years is one day, God meant seven thousand years, to get into Christ.

I Thessalonians 5:1-6 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. For when they shall say peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that the day should overtake you as a thief. Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day; are we not of the night, nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.
Luke 17:24-30 For as the lightning, that lighteneth out of the one part under heaven, shineth unto the other part under heaven; so shall also the Son of man be in his day. But first must he suffer many things, and be rejected of this generation. And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man. They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all. Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded; But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all. Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.

As we read in Genesis Chapter 8:22, While the earth remained, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.

7000 years thousand minus 4990 BC is 2010; take the zero and make it a one. 2011? AD

From the Cross, 7000, We had 7000 years to get unto Christ

Could just be true, we know that noah preached the gospel to those people in that time in history as he was building for ark for 120 years
TheWordIsOne: This is all groundless speculation, of course. 2011 will come and go and then people will have to, as usual, readjust their figures!

Preterist

Old 12-05-2008, 04:52 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,754,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
TheWordIsOne: This is all groundless speculation, of course. 2011 will come and go and then people will have to, as usual, readjust their figures!

Preterist

Preteris man needs Hope, it is said the proplem of the world will be burn by the sands of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity