Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:14 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Judas was never a "Christian" to begin with. He went to hell because he never repented and put His trust in Christ.
Judas was predestined to commit that sin..He had no choice in the matter (IMO) He also died before Christ died for our sins..(IMO) he may have gone to paradise where the ones who died before Christs sacrifice for our sins were held captive ..There they waited to be led out of the captivity of sin..awaiting the sacrifice of Gods Son to give them forgiveness

One more IMO. Paradise ceased to exist after Christ led the captives from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 11:14 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,789,218 times
Quote:
There is scripture to support that Judas never believed Jesus was God nor is it certain that he was convinced that Jesus was the messiah because he always referred to Jesus as "Rabbi".

Can you site the scripture reference? Also, is Jesus not referred to as "Rabbi" many times in the Bible and by many people?

I am not trying to be contentious, just trying to understand.

Thank you.

<><

Old 11-18-2008, 11:20 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times
Quote:
There is scripture to support that Judas never believed Jesus was God nor is it certain that he was convinced that Jesus was the messiah because he always referred to Jesus as "Rabbi".

Judas not only lacked faith in Christ, but he had little or no personal relationship with Jesus. I read that theologians believed the order of the apostles went by their closeness with Jesus, Judas was No.12 and the last apostle. Judas never tried to get close to Jesus.

Bible hardly mentions Judas and when it does, nothing good. Judas was consumed with greed, so much so that he actually stole from God's treasury proving he really didn't believe in Jesus. Judas followed Jesus for the wrong reasons, his own selfish ones. There is so much more I could say about Judas, you could write a book.

Judas did not go to hell because he committed suicide.
I think there's a stronger case for Judas being hardened than for Pharaoh, whose heart was hardened by God. Jesus came to die, right?

Quote:
For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.

Therefore hath He mercy on whom He will have mercy, and whom He will He hardeneth. Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth He yet find fault? For who hath resisted His will? (Romans 9:17-19)
Judas simply did what he was created to do. There's bigger plan than what we can see from our vantage point.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:21 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Judas was predestined to commit that sin..He had no choice in the matter (IMO) He also died before Christ died for our sins..(IMO) he may have gone to paradise where the ones who died before Christs sacrifice for our sins were held captive ..There they waited to be led out of the captivity of sin..awaiting the sacrifice of Gods Son to give them forgiveness

One more IMO. Paradise ceased to exist after Christ led the captives from there.
Didn't see this blue - good post.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:23 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
Can you site the scripture reference? Also, is Jesus not referred to as "Rabbi" many times in the Bible and by many people?

I am not trying to be contentious, just trying to understand.

Thank you.

<><
Dude no problem.

Other disciples at times made great professions of faith and loyalty even called Jesus, "Lord". Jesus asked, Peter who do you say, I am? Timothy calling Jesus, "My Lord and my God". Judas never acknowledged Jesus as nothing more than a teacher.

(John 6:64)
"64 Yet there are some of you who do not believe.†For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him."

Old 11-18-2008, 11:54 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,283,607 times
Quote:
Quote:
I know that suicide has been discussed in the past. I'm sorry, I didn't do a search. I don't think that it has had it's own discussion thread and I wanted to start one due to a post by another member in another thread.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/6194538-post25.html

The question was...

...if God does not give people more than they can handle, why do so many people commit suicide?

And then they answered their own question with...

(yeah, yeah, I know...they lack faith).

I think the act of suicide is terrible. In my life, I have personally known one young man who took his own life. He had many struggles and I was saddened that I did not see them in time to offer some help. He was a wonderful young man and missed by many.

I do not think that when a person commits suicide that it means that they have necessarily given up on God. Perhaps they have just given up on this world. I also do not believe that just because a person commits suicide that they are damned to hell. I do not put limitations on the grace of God and only God knows the heart of His children.

Thoughts....

I feel that regardless to what a person belief system is,
despair is despair, to the point of suicide
I always question whether this person should have had a better support system, we as believers should never leave a person alone in this type of pain...
there's the questions..
Psychological crisis intervention...did the healthcare practitioner see it coming?
was a medical problem, chemical imbalance?
sometimes the religious can put too much pressure on a person, and are at times not loving and caring enough because they are more concerned with a form of godliness and the outward expressions of worship, but some have hearts of stone and can cause one to otherwise stumble, because they don't have LOVE
I have lots of questions , because I have not read the other thread (guess I should have)
But the only thing that I have no question about is that you cannot receive forgiveness after you have murdered yourself;

Old 11-18-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
I feel that regardless to what a person belief system is,
despair is despair, to the point of suicide
I always question whether this person should have had a better support system, we as believers should never leave a person alone in this type of pain...
there's the questions..
Psychological crisis intervention...did the healthcare practitioner see it coming?
was a medical problem, chemical imbalance?
sometimes the religious can put too much pressure on a person, and are at times not loving and caring enough because they are more concerned with a form of godliness and the outward expressions of worship, but some have hearts of stone and can cause one to otherwise stumble, because they don't have LOVE
I have lots of questions , because I have not read the other thread (guess I should have)
But the only thing that I have no question about is that you cannot receive forgiveness after you have murdered yourself;
So if I as a Christian had a huge argument with my wife, said something I shouldn't have even cursed at her, thrown in a God's name in vain (blasphemy) in anger and the left the house still smoking from the argument ran through a stop sign and got broad sided by a semi killing me instantly.

Will I still go to heaven?

Old 11-18-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
So if I as a Christian had a huge argument with my wife, said something I shouldn't have even cursed at her, thrown in a God's name in vain (blasphemy) in anger and the left the house still smoking from the argument ran through a stop sign and got broad sided by a semi killing me instantly.

Will I still go to heaven?
My personal feeling is that God knows your heart. Obviously, only God would know the answer to whether after the above scenerio you will go to heaven.

As I have said before, I do not limit the grace of God.

ps: fundamentalist, I'm not a dude.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
My personal feeling is that God knows your heart. Obviously, only God would know the answer to whether after the above scenerio you will go to heaven.

As I have said before, I do not limit the grace of God.

ps: fundamentalist, I'm not a dude.
LOL.....Figure of speech, I call ladies dude as well. I am sorry if I insulted you.

I believe that person will still go to heaven because there is one, only one sin that is unforgivable and that is dieing in your sins without repenting and putting your trust in Jesus Christ.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
LOL.....Figure of speech, I call ladies dude as well. I am sorry if I insulted you.
No offense. I have been called much worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity