Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 02:01 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times

Advertisements

Revelations..

I don't really "get it".

I've done minor research on the book and to me it just doesn't jive with me.

I tend to take the Thomas Jefferson approach to the Book of Revelations (i.e.. most likely the dreams of a crazed maniac).

What am I missing? Why should I believe it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 02:09 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
I agree. It is easily attributed to the days of Nero's oppression and fantasies of God ending the world and bringing justice to Christians.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:30 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,944,684 times
It's all true and factual.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:41 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,201 times
Revelation is a book of visions...yes they are dreams. But they are dreams that depict future occurances and when studied along with the rest of the bible, they're thrilling and faith strengthening.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:42 PM

777 posts, read 1,441,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Revelations..

I don't really "get it".

I've done minor research on the book and to me it just doesn't jive with me.

I tend to take the Thomas Jefferson approach to the Book of Revelations (i.e.. most likely the dreams of a crazed maniac).

What am I missing? Why should I believe it?
That's sure to bring enlightenment. LOL

Old 12-29-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenevada View Post
Revelation is a book of visions...yes they are dreams. But they are dreams that depict future occurances and when studied along with the rest of the bible, they're thrilling and faith strengthening.
maybe thats where I'm missing something..

how does it tie in with the rest of the bible. what is the link?

Old 12-29-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richio View Post
That's sure to bring enlightenment. LOL
Sorry.. I couldn't tell if you were referring to my post or your overwhelmingly enlightened response to my post.

One asks for enlightenment (by virtue of the post)
One laughs at enlightenment (hint hint.. yours)

I understand. Its a tough question. However, if you could help the thread along with some enlightenment there might just be a rep for you.

For instance, maybe you could post your thoughts on the subject.. That tends to help the discussion along.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:52 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
My opinion is that everything in revelations has already happened except for the second coming of Christ..John , a very old man and probably the only remaining apostle was a prisoner..This was during the seige of Jerusaleum by crazy Nero the Roman emperor who who killed his owm mother..The Christians in Jerusaleum were being murdered, strarved , because their food ran out and according to historian had even reverted to cannibolism. in a few instances...Things were probably more gruesome in Jerusaleum than they are in the Gaza Strip today..Anyway John, out of fear of the Roman guards, and in hopes of getting his message of hope through to the christians wrote in code that only the christianwould understand..That is the reason the symbols in revelation are similiar to or the same as the ones in the ot books of Daniel and Ezekiel..(the christians/once Jewish understood and were familiar with the ot writings)..John was assuring the Christians that eventually good would overcome evil and that once again they would find happiness and dwell in peace, and safety and that God would restore their city and would dwell there as the ruler..

Old 12-29-2008, 02:56 PM

414 posts, read 777,025 times
Lightbulb Take a hint, in kindness!

Quote:
Sorry.. I couldn't tell if you were referring to my post or your overwhelmingly enlightened response to my post.

I understand. Its a tough question. However, if you could help the thread along with some enlightenment there might just be a rep for you.

For instance, maybe you could post your thoughts on the subject.. That tends to help the discussion along.

Bigthirsty, one might be quite willing to offer you a glass of water to drink, but even before that you tend to say you're not really thirsty.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:01 PM

777 posts, read 1,441,597 times
Quote:

I was just laughing at the "crazed maniac" thing.

I've studied Revelation for years and I know I'll never fully grasp it.

You don't have to lure me with a rep, but I'll see what I can come up with.
I'm sure in the mean time, you'll get some good answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity