Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 07:54 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,883 times

Advertisements

I just had to re-read that chapter....after i asked about doubting and how i do that...even when Peter did doubt, and Jesus replied what he did...he STILL was there to reach out and caught Peter
and did not let him fall. Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 08:15 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,274,020 times
Default Chapter 14

This phrase struck me...
Matt 14:9 And the king was sorry: nevertheless for the oath’s sake, and them which sat with him at meat, he commanded it to be given her.
The great pressure that we think we feel from "those that sit with us at meat" can cause us to do things we do not want to do.. or not do things we know we should do. Just a simple point..

But the part that especially spoke to me today were these verses:
25 And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea.
26 And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear.

27 But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.
Sometimes Jesus walks into my life unannounced.. and I'm fearful. What does He want? What is He going to ask of me? I'd rather just be sailing in my little boat... But then He says "Don't be afraid. I just want to help you!"

And then maybe like Peter, I start out bravely in the path He is pointing out to me (a task He is asking.. a sanctification He is requiring), but soon the waves come, and I forget that He is there! How foolish.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:43 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,663,356 times
Default I'm back...Need to catch up...

Matthew 9:13...
Then Jesus added, "Now go and learn the meaning of this Scripture: 'I want you to show mercy, not offer sacrifices.' For I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners."

...so....I did...

Matthew 12:7 But if you had known what THIS means, 'I desire mercy and not sacrifice you would not have condemned the guiltless. (8) For the Son of Man > (a title that Jesus used for Himself), is Lord, even over the Sabbath.
Hosea 6:6 For I desire mercy (I want you to show love) and not sacrifice (and not offer sacrifices.) And the knowledge of God (I want you to know Me (-to know God) more than burndt offerings (more than I want burndt offerings).

show-shew-6213; to do or make - accomplish, advance, become, bear, bruise, maintain,be meet, observe, prepare.
2 Sam 22:26 "With the merciful (faithful) You, O Lord, show Yourself merciful (faithful); With a blameless man (a man of integrity), You, O Lord will show Yourself blameless.
Psalms 18:26 "With the pure, You, O Lord, will show Yourself pure; but with the wicked, You show Yourself hostile.
Zech. 7:9 Thus says the Lord of hosts: 'Execute true justice (Judge fairly). Show mercy and compassion (mercy and kindness). Everyone to his brother.
2 Co. 8:24 Therefore show to them, and before the churches, the proof of your love...

Mercy-2617; from 2616; kindness; by inpl. (towards God) piety; rarely (by app..) reproof, or (subject.) beauty: -favor, good deed, kindly, (loving-) kindness, merciful (kindness), mercy, pity, reproach. to bow (the neck only-in courtesy to an equal), i.e. to be kind; also (but rarely) to reprove: -shew self merciful, put to shame.
Ps. 25:10 All the paths of the Lord are mercy and truth.
Ps. 37:21 The wicked borrows and does not repay, But the righteous shows mercy and gives.
Ps. 89:14 He who oppresses the poor reproaches his Maker, But he who honors Him has mercy on the needy.
Matt. 5:7 Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy
Rom. 9:21 When a potter makes jars out of clay, doesn't he have a right to use the same lump of clay to make one jar for decoration and another to throw garbage into? (22) In the same way, even though God has the right to show his anger and his power, he is very patient with those on whom his anger falls, who were made for destruction. (23) He does this to make the riches of his glory shine even brighter on those to whom he shows mercy, who were prepared in advance for glory. (11:30) For as you were once disobedient to God, yet have now obtained mercy through their obedience, (31) Even so these also have now been disobedient, that through the mercy shown you they also may obtain mercy. (32) For God has committed them all to disobedience, that He might have mercy on all. (33) Oh, the depths of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable ARE His decisions and His ways! (36) For of Him and through Him and to Him ARE all things, to whom BE glory forever. Amen.
SERVE GOD WITH SPIRITUAL GIFTS
Rom.12:8...He who exhorts, in exortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.
THE LIGHT OF CHRIST'S GOSPEL
2 Co. 4:1 Therefore, since we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we do not lose heart. (2) But we have renounced the hidden things of shame, not walking in craftiness nor handling the Word of God deceitfully, but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God. (3) But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, (4) Whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them. (5) For we do not preach ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord, and ourselves your bondservants (your servants) for Jesus' sake. (6) For God, who said, "Let there be light in the darkness," has made this light shine in our hearts so we could know the glory of God that is seen in the face of Jesus Christ. (7) We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure. This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves. (8) We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but never abondoned by God. We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed. (10) Through suffering, our bodies continue to share in the death of Jesus so that the life of Jesus may also be seen in our dying bodies. (12) So we live in the face of death, but this has resulted in eternal life for YOU! (16) That is why we never give up. Though our bodies are dying, our spirits are being renewed every day. (17) For our present troubles are small and won't last very long. Yet they will produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever! (18) For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever.

offer-7126; to approach (cause. bring near) for whatever purpose: (cause to) approach, (cause to) bring (forth, near), (cause to) come (near, nigh), (cause to) draw near (nigh), go (near), be at hand, join, be near, offer, present, produce, make ready, stand, take.

sacrifice-2077; from 2076; slaughter, i.e. the flesh of an animal; a sacrifice (the victim or the act): -offer(-ing)
Ps. 40:6 Sacrifice and offering You Lord did not desire: My eyes You have opened. Burndt offering and sin offering, You Lord did not require...or...(NLT) You take no delight in sacrifices or offerings (doing something for You, bringing something to You) - that's not what You're after. Being religious, acting pious - that's not what You're asking for. You've opened my ears so I can listen.
Ps.51:17 The sacrifices You desire is a broken spirit (shattered pride). You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.
Pr.15:8 The sacrifices of the wicked IS an abomination to the Lord. But He delights in the prayers of the upright.
Pr. 20:3 The Lord is more pleased when we do what is right and just than when we offer him sacrifices.
Heb. 10:4 For it is not possible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins. (5) That is why, when Christ came into the world, he said to God, "You did not want animal sacrifices or sin offerings. But You have given Me a body to offer. (60 You were not pleased with burndt offerings or other offerings for sin. (7) Then I said, "Look, I have come to do Your will, O God - (He cancels the first covenant in order to put the second one into effect...) (10) For God's will was for us to be made holy by the sacfifice of the body of Jesus Christ, once for all time. (14) For by that one offering He forever made perfect those who are being made holy. (18) And when sins have been forgiven, there is not need to offer any more sacrifices.
Isaiah 1:11 "What makes you think I want all your sacrifices?" says the Lord. "I am sick of your burndt offerings. I get no pleasure...(12) When you come to worship Me, who asked you for this? (13) Stop bringing Me your meaningless gifts; the incense of your offerings disqusts Me! (14) I hate your celebrations and your annual feasts! They are a burden to Me. I cannot stand them! (15) When you lift up your hands in prayer I will not look. Though you offer many prayers, I will not listen, for your hands are covered with the blood of innocent vicitms. (16) (17) Wash yourselves and be clean! Get your sins out of My sight! Give up your evil ways. Learn to do good! Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the cause of the orphans, Fight for the rights of widows. (18) "Come now, Let's settle this, " says the Lord. "Though your sins are like scarlet, I will make them white as snow. (19) If you will only obey Me, you will have plenty to eat. (20) But if you turn away and refuse to listen, you will be devoured by the sword of your enemies. I, the Lord, have spoken!"

With all my love...in Christ.

Last edited by Verna Perry; 02-25-2009 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-25-2009, 07:17 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,393,868 times
Sometimes Jesus will send us into a storm as He did the disciples, but He will never leave us, as He never left them. We need to remember He is in all storms with us, He is over the storm, and He will bring us through the storm. Peter sank when he took his eyes off Jesus, I sink when I take my eyes off Him too, but He is always there to pull me back when I call out to Him, just as He did for Peter.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:14 AM

Chapter 15

This chapter reminds me to watch what comes out of my mouth. Reminding ourselves that words are unclean. How quick we are to forget that when we are angry, sad or mean. We can plant that seed in others but its how we water it with our mouths to how it will grow.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:29 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,120 times
I agree, Ann.(Can I call you 'Ann?')

I was struck yet again by Jesus' telling us it's what is in our hearts that matters....not what rule or regulation we do or don't follow. Christ's commands are not optional...we must Love God and we must Love each other.

I was also a bit captivated by Jesus' encounter with the woman who was the non-Jew. What a testimony to the completeness of Christ for the world. And what an intriguing encounter.

Seriously, what an awesome God we serve!

Old 02-26-2009, 09:31 AM

Verses8-9 The Pharisees knew a lot about God, but they didn't know God. It's not enough just to know about Him, we must KNOW Him. And we do this by reading His Word, praying, a real relationship with Him.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:33 AM

Absolutely Alpha.

May i ask a question with the women who was non-Jew...When jesus said "It is not right to take the childrens bread and give it to the dogs." And she replied..."Yes, Lord, but even the doges eat the crumbs that fall from their masters table."
What is this actually saying....I'm confused a little with this... (sorry, im just a learning vessel)

Old 02-26-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineann View Post
Absolutely Alpha.

May i ask a question with the women who was non-Jew...When jesus said "It is not right to take the childrens bread and give it to the dogs." And she replied..."Yes, Lord, but even the doges eat the crumbs that fall from their masters table."
What is this actually saying....I'm confused a little with this... (sorry, im just a learning vessel)
Hey we are all learning vessels
Dog was a term used by the Jews commonly applied to Gentiles because the Jews considered these pagan people no more likely than dogs to receive God's blessing. Jesus was not degrading the woman by using this term, He was reflecting the Jews attitude. The woman did not argue, instead using Jesus choice of words she agreed to be considered a dog as long as she could receive God's blessing for her daughter.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:58 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,700,649 times
The gospel was to be preach first to the Jew, then the Gentiles.

The word dog was a term that the Jews often used for Gentiles. The Jews considered Gentiles ritually unclean.
Tyre and Sidon (Gentile territory) and the woman (whom was a Gentile) represented the Gentiles and that God was showing that all people would be included in His kingdom.

Her humility and perseverance and simple acceptance of Jesus word, this woman becomes a model for our faith!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity