Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2009, 07:29 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times

Advertisements

How do you emotionally handle the fact that your spouse tells you she wants to go to church with you, but never attends? Every Sunday there is always a reason to not attend. The kids see it and I see it, but she does not see it. This has been going on for years and puts a strain on our relationship. I encourage her to come with us, but I know ultimately it is her choice. How do you emotionally deal with this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 07:42 AM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
How do you emotionally handle the fact that your spouse tells you she wants to go to church with you, but never attends? Every Sunday there is always a reason to not attend. The kids see it and I see it, but she does not see it. This has been going on for years and puts a strain on our relationship. I encourage her to come with us, but I know ultimately it is her choice. How do you emotionally deal with this?
Well... I'd bring church home... Bible study, small groups, prayer meeting, and keep it social and relaxed.... and always include food!

Old 03-01-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Well... I'd bring church home... Bible study, small groups, prayer meeting, and keep it social and relaxed.... and always include food!
Thanks! And since I'm Baptist the food idea is a no-brainer!

Old 03-01-2009, 08:03 AM

and the emotional part.... devotion produces emotion.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:20 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
unfortunately there is nothing you can do about a spouse who will not attend church with you . If you force them they definately not go . I have tried to get my spouse to go to mass with me several times and to no avail and that is okay . I have learned to accept it . I am afraid that you might have to end up accepting the fact that your spouse may never attend . You must make peace with it yourself and I wish you much luck .

Old 03-01-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
unfortunately there is nothing you can do about a spouse who will not attend church with you . If you force them they definately not go . I have tried to get my spouse to go to mass with me several times and to no avail and that is okay . I have learned to accept it . I am afraid that you might have to end up accepting the fact that your spouse may never attend . You must make peace with it yourself and I wish you much luck .
Thanks. I guess it's tough because our faith is what brought us together and slowly hers seems to have faded. The Lord is still important to her, that I do know. There is so much I want to share as a couple, and I feel we're losing out by her not attending. You're right, it is her decision and I will not take that away from her. I cannot and will not force her to attend. As her husband that is not my position.

I do become concerned when our elementary-aged children try and understand why mom doesn't come with us. I have many friends at church and they love on the kids and me and always ask about my wife (in a very nice way...not judgemental). Emotionally it's just tough since this is what we based our friendship, relationship and marriage on.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:39 AM

14,875 posts, read 17,143,188 times
Maybe ask her to sit down and talk with you about what might be going on, in a nonjudgmental way, especially since this seems to be putting a strain on your relationship? God bless.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:02 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
phonelady is right! My spouse pretty much forced me to go for years and I was very resentful about it. You can't force religion on her! If she is a good person and devoted spouse then that is all you need.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:18 AM

When we deal with emotional issues, regarding spiritual matters, it may seem (to a man) we need a miracle to move our own family back into the "fold"... sometimes it's children, sometimes it's our wives. Often this can the most troubling aspect of our own faith, for we can become self condemning. Our leadership (important) as a men/man/husband stands for all to see. Titus and Timothy establishes a template of spiritual fruit, and one of those is how we manage our own household... our faith in God is reveled by these spiritual qualities.

We (men) however are not judged by God by our successes or failures, but by our faithfulness to Him. To often our faith can become "presumption" by relinquishing our role and giving it all to God. I do not believe God wants that for anyone. His expectations for us is to be unyielding to His call by staying engaged through prayer and supplication.

Miracles require participation. Miracles require a level of submission (emotional or physical) that comes from doing all we can with a never say die attitude. Our faithful path towards what is good is reveled by staying the course and seeking wise council. We are not charged with the outcome, we are charged with the "upward call in Christ". If we think of miracles as the wind, we must still raise our sails and stay faithfully at the helm.

Leadership is a lonely place. Faithful leadership is an empowering place, for His burden is light.

Hoosier... keep your sails up for a following wind.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:19 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,941,290 times
1 Corinthians 7
10 And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband:

11 But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.

12 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.

13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

16 For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?

17 But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so ordain I in all churches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity