Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 09:23 AM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Well... I'd bring church home... Bible study, small groups, prayer meeting, and keep it social and relaxed.... and always include food!
That is what I would say if I was one to attend church. I wouldn't walk in a church, I can't put myself in that much jeopardy, or them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 11:22 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confussed69 View Post
My husband has turned to being a stronger Christian which I have no problem but he is a abuser at the same time mentally and at times physically he is wushu washy bible in hand and if u make him mad it's done always walking on egg shells but yet uses god towards it he feels I must be in the word as well kinda a forcing issue I have my own relationship with god he has changed and that is good he needs too but basically making or threatening to leave because he can't grow with me I just don't know it's all confusing
I am so sorry you are dealing with this. This relationship isn't healthy. Abuse and Christian do not go hand and hand. You mentioned he is physically abusive as well. I fear for you. You cannot make him mad. He is already a mad person. Mad hearts will always claim that others "make" them mad which isn't true. Someone gave you some advice in this thread. Please update us on what is going on.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:33 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,721,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
You are powerless over her, but God is not. Turn the issue over to Him, and keep taking your children to Church. I commend you, as my daughter won't take her 2 little girls to church because her husband won't go. That's a cop out.
I was quite surprised to come on here and see this thread after so many years. My heart breaks because things really haven't changed much. My daughter has been ill for the past few years, however she has been the one to show an amazing amount of faith. On the weekends she is well enough to attend church, she and I go. My wife and 14 year old son do not attend. I realize attending church is not required for salvation. Both my son and wife do know the Lord.

Someone had mentioned trying a different church. I did that a few years ago and everyone was very unhappy about that decision. So, we went back to our original church (which I truly love). I've given up trying to get anyone to attend. I pray and hope and like I said, when my daughter is well enough she and I attend. I'm not regular now as with the illness my kids need me, and my wife usually heads to the office or errands during that time. I do miss the fellowship! Thanks for bringing this thread back to life.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:49 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,970,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
I was quite surprised to come on here and see this thread after so many years. My heart breaks because things really haven't changed much. My daughter has been ill for the past few years, however she has been the one to show an amazing amount of faith. On the weekends she is well enough to attend church, she and I go. My wife and 14 year old son do not attend. I realize attending church is not required for salvation. Both my son and wife do know the Lord.
Someone had mentioned trying a different church. I did that a few years ago and everyone was very unhappy about that decision. So, we went back to our original church (which I truly love). I've given up trying to get anyone to attend. I pray and hope and like I said, when my daughter is well enough she and I attend. I'm not regular now as with the illness my kids need me, and my wife usually heads to the office or errands during that time. I do miss the fellowship! Thanks for bringing this thread back to life.
If attending with the congregation is Not a requirement, then how does one explain the words at Hebrews 10:24-26

If one deliberately stays away, and that one can know the Lord, but does the Lord know that one ?

Old 04-25-2017, 07:26 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,113,422 times
Quote:

Being powerless is frustrating, but it can actually turn into a blessing. In many difficulties in life, realizing I'm powerless has made me more dependent on God, and helped me become closer to Him. Praying for you and your family.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:08 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
If attending with the congregation is Not a requirement, then how does one explain the words at Hebrews 10:24-26

If one deliberately stays away, and that one can know the Lord, but does the Lord know that one ?
Where two come together, he is in their midst's.
There is no need to entertain a pack of wolves.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:33 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,705,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post

Greek g1997
The word used for gathering together is only used twice in the New Testament, the other time is in 2Th 2:1 And, brothers, we entreat you, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and of our gathering together to Him,
It doesn't sound to me as saying you need to go to church, but is more to do with the spiritual side of things

Old 04-26-2017, 10:02 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
How do you emotionally handle the fact that your spouse tells you she wants to go to church with you, but never attends? Every Sunday there is always a reason to not attend. The kids see it and I see it, but she does not see it. This has been going on for years and puts a strain on our relationship. I encourage her to come with us, but I know ultimately it is her choice. How do you emotionally deal with this?
Have you considered stoning your wife?

Stoning is a method of execution during which a group of people, usually peers of the guilty party, throws stones at the condemned person until he or she dies. Death by stoning was prescribed in the Old Testament Law as a punishment for various sins. Both animals and people could be the subjects of stoning (Exodus 21:28), and stoning seems to have been associated with sins that caused irreparable damage to the spiritual or ceremonial purity of a person or an animal.

Some sins that resulted in stoning in the Old Testament were murder (Leviticus 24:17), idolatry (Deuteronomy 17:2–5), approaching near to Mount Sinai while the presence of God was there (Exodus 19:12–13), practicing necromancy or the occult (Leviticus 20:27), and blaspheming the name of the Lord (Leviticus 24:16). Stoning was probably the punishment for various types of sexual sin, as well (Deuteronomy 22:24); the related passages in Leviticus 20 do not specify the method of execution, only that the guilty party was to be “put to death.”

Old 04-26-2017, 10:09 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Have you considered stoning your wife?

Stoning is a method of execution during which a group of people, usually peers of the guilty party, throws stones at the condemned person until he or she dies. Death by stoning was prescribed in the Old Testament Law as a punishment for various sins. Both animals and people could be the subjects of stoning (Exodus 21:28), and stoning seems to have been associated with sins that caused irreparable damage to the spiritual or ceremonial purity of a person or an animal.

Some sins that resulted in stoning in the Old Testament were murder (Leviticus 24:17), idolatry (Deuteronomy 17:2–5), approaching near to Mount Sinai while the presence of God was there (Exodus 19:12–13), practicing necromancy or the occult (Leviticus 20:27), and blaspheming the name of the Lord (Leviticus 24:16). Stoning was probably the punishment for various types of sexual sin, as well (Deuteronomy 22:24); the related passages in Leviticus 20 do not specify the method of execution, only that the guilty party was to be “put to death.”
The death penalty was a civil punishment for the children of Israel and not only illegal today, but would be a sin.

...but you knew that. You just wanted to cause division and strife in yet another thread in the Christian forum.

I hope people will ignore these attempts.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:04 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
The death penalty was a civil punishment for the children of Israel and not only illegal today, but would be a sin.

...but you knew that. You just wanted to cause division and strife in yet another thread in the Christian forum.

I hope people will ignore these attempts.
There are many here among us who feel that life still embraces the OT practices. Though I will admit that of the 613 laws, most modern folks have turned their backs on 612 of them ans still cling tenaciously to just one OT law.

I hope more people will ignore the OT foolishness and embrace the new covenant of Christ..

But then you new that already and just wanted to cause confusion among the brethren...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity