Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 09:31 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your problem is that you think we are all one thing or the other, Twin . . . we are not. We are a cumulative composite of every thought and feeling we have ever had during our entire life.
The "wicked" parts do not remain after death. They must be "refined" out if we have not repented of them during life.
But that appears to be beyond the ears and sight of most who claim to be Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShalomPeace View Post
Psalm 18:47
He is the God who avenges me, who subdues nations under me

Psalm 58:10
The righteous will be glad when they are avenged, when they bathe their feet in the blood of the wicked.

Psalm 94:1
O LORD, the God who avenges, O God who avenges, shine forth.

Romans 12:19
Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord.

Hebrews 10:30
For we know him who said, "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," and again, "The Lord will judge his people."

Does God really avenge our enemies?
Has anyone has any testimonies to share about how God avenged your enemies?

Or maybe, if you are the culprit, has anyone any testimonies about how God had avenged you so that you felt remorse?

Why is it that every time I do something bad, even unknowingly, I end up feeling sore, lousy and disappointed with myself, but then when other people hurt me or mistreat me, they seem to get away with it without any feeling of remorse whatsoever?... In such instances, is it alright to pray for God’s revenge on them?.... Will God hear such prayers?

Hope to receive some good answers for peace of my mind ....
I know how you feel. I am not a Saint, but I am not the person some people protray me to be. The worst feeling a person can ever have is when others mistreat us. I have asked myself a thousand times when will it be my day? When will something bad happen to those who have wronged me? The only thing that keeps me going is that one day they will have to answer to God for what they have done. I know that one day I too will be judged and I am fine with that. Just knowing that they will receive their just punishment in the next life makes this life more bearable than before I discovered God's love.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,612 times
Quote:
Why is it that every time I do something bad, even unknowingly, I end up feeling sore, lousy and disappointed with myself, but then when other people hurt me or mistreat me, they seem to get away with it without any feeling of remorse whatsoever?

HEBREWS 12:5-12
Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)

5 Also you have forgotten the counsel which speaks with you as sons:
“My son, don’t despise the discipline of Adonai
or become despondent when he corrects you.
6 For Adonai disciplines those he loves
and whips everyone he accepts as a son.”

7 Regard your endurance as discipline; God is dealing with you as sons. For what son goes undisciplined by his father? 8 All legitimate sons undergo discipline; so if you don’t, you’re a mamzer (illegitimate) and not a son!
9 Furthermore, we had physical fathers who disciplined us, and we respected them; how much more should we submit to our spiritual Father and live! 10 For they disciplined us only for a short time and only as best they could; but he disciplines us in a way that provides genuine benefit to us and enables us to share in his holiness.
11 Now, all discipline, while it is happening, does indeed seem painful, not enjoyable; but for those who have been trained by it, it later produces its peaceful fruit, which is righteousness. 12 So,
strengthen your drooping arms,
and steady your tottering knees

Quote:
... In such instances, is it alright to pray for God’s revenge on them?.... Will God hear such prayers?
LUKE 9:54
World English Bible (WEB)

54 When his disciples, James and John, saw this, they said, “Lord, do you want us to command fire to come down from the sky, and destroy them, just as Elijah did?”
55 But he turned and rebuked them, “You don’t know of what kind of spirit you are. 56 For the Son of Man didn’t come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them.”
They went to another village.

Matthew 18:23-30
New American Standard Bible (NASB)

23 “For this reason the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to settle accounts with his slaves. 24 When he had begun to settle them, one who owed him ten thousand talents was brought to him. 25 But since he did not have the means to repay, his lord commanded him to be sold, along with his wife and children and all that he had, and repayment to be made. 26 So the slave fell to the ground and prostrated himself before him, saying, ‘Have patience with me and I will repay you everything.’ 27 And the lord of that slave felt compassion and released him and forgave him the debt. 28 But that slave went out and found one of his fellow slaves who owed him a hundred denarii; and he seized him and began to choke him, saying, ‘Pay back what you owe.’ 29 So his fellow slave fell to the ground and began to plead with him, saying, ‘Have patience with me and I will repay you.’ 30 But he was unwilling and went and threw him in prison until he should pay back what was owed. 31 So when his fellow slaves saw what had happened, they were deeply grieved and came and reported to their lord all that had happened. 32 Then summoning him, his lord *said to him, ‘You wicked slave, I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me. 33 Should you not also have had mercy on your fellow slave, in the same way that I had mercy on you?’ 34 And his lord, moved with anger, handed him over to the torturers until he should repay all that was owed him. 35 My heavenly Father will also do the same to you, if each of you does not forgive his brother from your heart.”

Quote:
Has anyone has any testimonies to share about how God avenged your enemies?
Matthew 18:7

7 “Woe to the world because of occasions of stumbling! For it must be that the occasions come, but woe to that person through whom the occasion comes!

Yes, God can avenge His own. But will He? Now!? ...Depends.

You point out that David prayed imprecatory (cursing) prayers. Jesus gave the parable about the widow (Luke 18:1-8). But can you see that there is a difference between wanting revenge and asking God to intervene in a hopeless situation? Are you being actively tormented by someone, or did they just sleight you and you need to have your sense of justice satisfied?

We are not God. We don't call the shots. We don't tell Him what the right thing to do is.

God is Ha Dayan Tzadiq: The Righteous Judge. What does it matter if he decides to punish a person now or give them room for repentance against the final destruction awaiting the ungodly? This is not your business. What is it to you if he decides to use the momentary profit of your enemies as an occasion to humble you? Will you harden your heart? It's like slapping the water with an open palm; whom will it hurt?

Ecclesiastes 7:10

English Standard Version (ESV)

10 Say not, “Why were the former days better than these?”
For it is not from wisdom that you ask this.

Job 38:4-7
New International Version (NIV)

4 “Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation?
Tell me, if you understand.
5 Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know!
Who stretched a measuring line across it?
6 On what were its footings set,
or who laid its cornerstone—
7 while the morning stars sang together
and all the angels shouted for joy?

John 21:21-22

21 Peter seeing him, said to Jesus, “Lord, what about this man?”
22 Jesus said to him, “If I desire that he stay until I come, what is that to you? You follow me.”

Yes, there is a SOON - coming judgement. We should judge our own standing with the Lord.

2 Peter 3:7,9,11-12,14-15 (
Just read the whole thing)
Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

7 But by the same word, the present heavens and earth are stored up for fire, being kept until the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men....

9 The Lord does not delay His promise, as some understand delay, but is patient with you, not wanting any to perish but all to come to repentance.

11 Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, it is clear what sort of people you should be in holy conduct and godliness 12 as you wait for and earnestly desire the coming of the day of God. The heavens will be on fire and be dissolved because of it, and the elements will melt with the heat.

14 Therefore, dear friends, while you wait for these things, make every effort to be found at peace with Him without spot or blemish. 15 Also, regard the patience of our Lord as an opportunity for salvation, just as our dear brother Paul has written to you according to the wisdom given to him

Last edited by pagurus0; 08-12-2013 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: correcting my ommissions

Old 08-12-2013, 01:42 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times
Quote:
No, that would require too much effort.

He tells his followers to commit the atrocities necessary to satisfy his desire for vengence.

Read Chapter 31 in the Book of Numbers - especially the first sentence.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,612 times
Default Guanzo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachles View Post
A town I was almost killed in was completely flooded a year later, and I watched it on Tv 2,000 miles away. My sister was raped, and a year later the mans daughter died in a house fire. God does the best dirty work.
Seriously? A whole town? Just for you? And that man's daughter... do suppose she didn't suffer at his hands? LISTEN TO YOURSELF!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity