Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 04:17 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,184,699 times

Advertisements

Reverend1111 - Holding to this notion is another symptom of thinking the universe revolves around us. God has placed us where we are, and has sovereign control of all that is.

The fact that we can't see any restraint doesn't mean there isn't any. I prefer the "backyard" analogy: we think we have access to all of our world, both good and bad things and the choice between the two; when in actuality, there is a fence (invisible to us) that keeps us from going beyond His decree.

Personally, I believe He works within us (as Phil 2:13 states), but perhaps that gives you a little perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 06:08 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,711,259 times
^
I think if you experienced what Reverend is saying you would not assert s/he believes the universe revolves around us. It's actually a far more humbling awareness of just how vast and multifaceted the universe is than the one focused on God-Jesus-follower.

It is giving one's ego over to God in complete trust, perhaps the most selfless act an individual could do.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:20 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,306,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I had a good discussion with Alpha yesterday about predestination and "free will" came up. I see free will totally different than most. I don't see free will have anything to do with salvation. If we are dead in our sins and God brings us to life. How can we go against our own nature of hating God to now loving God? what changed us? My question is if we TRULY had FREE will then why can't we not sin? Are we not bound either in sin or righteousness? Can one be independent of sin or righteousness, is there an outside source I don't know about or are we locked in either and if God is the one who unlocks us then did not God violate our free will? If free will IS choice and we make the choice to to be with Him (somehow going against our own nature by acting independently without any interference of God) then how does that not take away any of God's glory?
Well, I felt that if God broke our free will He could make us worship Him, but we have a choice. I mean we can turn from Him if we like. If we were not truely free, then we all would worship God, but everyone does not.

If God violated our free will then we would never have a choice, we would all just do what God told us to do, but we don't..

Old 05-05-2009, 06:42 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,391,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Disagree. Check out Romans 7.
Hi elmer, there are two types of sin, one that does not lead to death (those in romans 7 that happen AGAINST our will) and sin that leads to death (those we freely commit against His commandments.)

Old 05-05-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
God does not 'violate' anything!, but the term " free will" is not found in the scriptures. The fact that God allows us to either chose Him and His Way, or chose our own way is definitely scriptural.
The bad things that happen to us is not necessarilly from God, or from the Devil. It may be a poor choice on our part. I do believe God 'allows' things to happen that, in our eyes, are terrible things. We do not know how He thinks on these things. We are assured that "all things work together for good to those who love God, and are called according to His purpose". We do not know what all that entails.
Far be it from me to question or condemn God for the things that happen. ( I cannot say if I may do so if some terrible thing should happen to one of my loved ones.)
Hi Tow, yes freewill is in scripture, its one word not two.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:56 PM

283 posts, read 409,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Hi elmer, there are two types of sin, one that does not lead to death (those in romans 7 that happen AGAINST our will) and sin that leads to death (those we freely commit against His commandments.)

Boo read it again bad example for you good for those who should hate sin.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdparty View Post
Boo read it again bad example for you good for those who should hate sin.

I don't need to read it again TP, I know what it says and it takes nothing away from what I beleive.

Freewill does not take away Gods sovergnty it only enhences it.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:22 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,393,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
Well, I felt that if God broke our free will He could make us worship Him, but we have a choice. I mean we can turn from Him if we like. If we were not truely free, then we all would worship God, but everyone does not.

If God violated our free will then we would never have a choice, we would all just do what God told us to do, but we don't..
AMEN! Great post.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:28 PM

283 posts, read 409,824 times
Were you not talking about two kinds of sin? or are we back to the zen of freewill remember Romans 8:1-8 it seems like were being told that we choose remain slaves to sin or slaves to righteous law.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:36 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,711,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post

Why in the world would God want us to worship him, free will or not? Only insecure people demand worship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity