Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 05:55 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,827 times

Advertisements

I've been doing some reading and came across this article. The link will take you to the rest of the story. I somewhat agree with what this person is stating.

We are on the verge -- within 10 years -- of a major collapse of evangelical Christianity. This breakdown will follow the deterioration of the mainline Protestant world and it will fundamentally alter the religious and cultural environment in the West.

Within two generations, evangelicalism will be a house deserted of half its occupants. (Between 25 and 35 percent of Americans today are Evangelicals.) In the "Protestant" 20th century, Evangelicals flourished. But they will soon be living in a very secular and religiously antagonistic 21st century.

This collapse will herald the arrival of an anti-Christian chapter of the post-Christian West. Intolerance of Christianity will rise to levels many of us have not believed possible in our lifetimes, and public policy will become hostile toward evangelical Christianity, seeing it as the opponent of the common good.

The Coming Evangelical Collapse | | AlterNet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 06:01 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,331,016 times
Ye, have little faith. Let me ask you a question; Which two people use religion, God's words, and the teachings of Christ to gain power over men to destroy nations?

Old 05-27-2009, 06:19 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,827 times
I have quite a bit of faith. I'm not freaking out or worried about anything. Just thought this is interesting information and IMO has some validity to it.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:25 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
I have quite a bit of faith. I'm not freaking out or worried about anything. Just thought this is interesting information and IMO has some validity to it.
America is only an extension of Europe. Wherever Europe is, America will follow suit in a century.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:31 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,695,693 times
Quote:
I've been doing some reading and came across this article. The link will take you to the rest of the story. I somewhat agree with what this person is stating.

We are on the verge -- within 10 years -- of a major collapse of evangelical Christianity. This breakdown will follow the deterioration of the mainline Protestant world and it will fundamentally alter the religious and cultural environment in the West.

Within two generations, evangelicalism will be a house deserted of half its occupants. (Between 25 and 35 percent of Americans today are Evangelicals.) In the "Protestant" 20th century, Evangelicals flourished. But they will soon be living in a very secular and religiously antagonistic 21st century.

This collapse will herald the arrival of an anti-Christian chapter of the post-Christian West. Intolerance of Christianity will rise to levels many of us have not believed possible in our lifetimes, and public policy will become hostile toward evangelical Christianity, seeing it as the opponent of the common good.

I believe it! With what we are seeing right here in this forum is a good example of that coming to past!
There is so much un-truth and falling away from the leading of the Holy Spirit and instead people are believing in the fleshy, sensual, itchy ear doctrines of man!

We see this right now....
~ Expect evangelicalism to look more like the pragmatic, therapeutic, church-growth oriented megachurches that have defined success. Emphasis will shift from doctrine to relevance, motivation, and personal success -- resulting in churches further compromised and weakened in their ability to pass on the faith.

Our churches have bought into the "find yourself" doctrine for some time now!
Preaching in denying the flesh and repentance is a no, no!

I believe the Holy Spirit is beginning to withdraw from this world right now!! The hatred that is spewing out every where especially among the one's who called them selves Christian....it is awful!!

I do believe you will be seeing more and more of the true believers meeting in homes and so forth.
The churches are and have been quenching the Holy Spirit for a long time!!

Blessings

Old 05-27-2009, 06:35 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
Unfortunately Hoosier you may be right in what you're saying and their demise will be their own doings. People today do not want to have any kind of religion forced upon them regardless of what it is and the more the evangelicals try to force their belief upon other people the more those people are going to resist and the more people they're going to turn away from them, people today want to believe, however they want to believe in their own way and not the way somebody tells them they have to believe. I see in the future that there will be many people who will say they are Christians but will not believe the way their sacred book tells them they should, there will come a time when there will be a new kind of Christianity, the kind that is more tolerant of other religions and beliefs not the hell and damnation kind, that will be a thing of the past.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:37 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
It is an interesting read of someone's opinion Personally, I see more people becoming upset and leaving the organized religions and the pomp and circumstance of the Sunday worship service and all the money that is involved in their buildings and contents..More and more seem to be seeking the Church without the entertainment that is meant to draw the crowds and the money in..Too much time is spent on the luxuries and wealth of the world and not enough on allowing Christ to be the focus of worship service..So I believe people are leaving not because they are losing their faith, but because their faith is strong and they are seeking a more "Christ centered" worship service..

Good discussion subject Hoosier

Old 05-27-2009, 06:50 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
I believe it! With what we are seeing right here in this forum is a good example of that coming to past!
There is so much un-truth and falling away from the leading of the Holy Spirit and instead people are believing in the fleshy, sensual, itchy ear doctrines of man!

We see this right now....
~ Expect evangelicalism to look more like the pragmatic, therapeutic, church-growth oriented megachurches that have defined success. Emphasis will shift from doctrine to relevance, motivation, and personal success -- resulting in churches further compromised and weakened in their ability to pass on the faith.

Our churches have bought into the "find yourself" doctrine for some time now!
Preaching in denying the flesh and repentance is a no, no!

I believe the Holy Spirit is beginning to withdraw from this world right now!! The hatred that is spewing out every where especially among the one's who called them selves Christian....it is awful!!

I do believe you will be seeing more and more of the true believers meeting in homes and so forth.
The churches are and have been quenching the Holy Spirit for a long time!!

Blessings
Itchy ear doctrines . You mean like that love is of God and everyone that loveth is born of God.

God as been calling out His people from the Church for years , and have been meeting in homes throughout the nations of the world.

The Holy Spirit tabernacles in His people , the Holy Spirit is here in abundance.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:57 PM

428 posts, read 800,247 times
Quote:

I don't know about all that, but are you sure about the 25-35% Americans being Evangelical? I myself have been raised as such and around the Evangelical crowd my whole life, and even I don't think the percentage is anywhere near that high...

I think the thought, or perhaps fear, or perhaps expectation, of this whole scenario you have described is founded in the anti-Christian rumblings heard in some circles that exists today, in large part because of the general Christian stance on homosexual rights.

I think it is unfortunate that Christians want to deny the same rights to gay couples...but that is another thread. IMO, if they would change their stance on this civil right's issue, then so many people wouldn't feel like Christians are injecting their personal beliefs into the law in a detrimental way.

It is rooted in this: no one wants to be told and treated as a second class citizen simply because of who they are.

Just food for thought.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:23 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,621,075 times
Moderator cut: deleted

Hoosier you make a good point, Ptsum...you don't.

If anyone thinks that the disappearance of evangelical/fundmental Christianity is a good thing, then I guess you think that the end of days is a good thing also because that's what is happening. The falling away is taking place right now, and silencing of Christians like us is detrimental to all of society. Don't believe me? Then watch and see what happens. I think I hear rumblings in California.

Last edited by june 7th; 05-27-2009 at 08:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity