Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 05:37 AM

2,984 posts, read 3,348,104 times

Advertisements

Romans 9:22

Quote:
What if God, choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath–prepared for destruction.
Fitted=katartivzw

Katartivzw=

To render or to fit.

To make sound or complete.

To mend what has been broken or rent.

To repair what has been broken or rent.

To put in order.

To arrange. To adjust.

To fit or frame for one's self.

To strengthen, to perfect, to complete.

To make one what he aught to be.

Dr. Marvin Vincent

Fitted= kathrtismena=

Literally: adjusted or mended.

Quote:
ei de qelwn o qeoV endeixasqai thn orghn kai gnwrisai to dunaton autou hnegken en pollh makroqumia skeuh orghV kathrtismena eiV apwleian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 05:49 AM

352 posts, read 553,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
And by hell, I am talking about the belief that people will be separated from God forever, for eternity, and will be tortured for eternity with no end. NO HOPE of being reconciled to God. ever. No hope of their carnal man being burned off and being reconciled to God.

Please answer each question, honestly if you will:

1. Do you fear that any of your loved ones will go there?
2. Do you fear that your neighbors will go there?
3. Do you fear strangers going there? What about people you can't seem to like or people you have ill feelings towards, famoust people even, whatever...?
The answer is yes to all three for me as well. It bothers me because I love my friends and family and I don't want to lose them.

Thanks for the thread, hopefully it will go somewhere interesting

Old 06-09-2009, 07:16 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times
Quote:
And by hell, I am talking about the belief that people will be separated from God forever, for eternity, and will be tortured for eternity with no end. NO HOPE of being reconciled to God. ever. No hope of their carnal man being burned off and being reconciled to God.

Yup
Quote:

yup
Quote:
3. Do you fear strangers going there? What about people you can't seem to like or people you have ill feelings towards, famoust people even, whatever...?
Of course I don't want anyone to go there. I don't wish it on anyone.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:09 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
I think you give the devil too much credit. The devil can only kill our temporal bodies. Only God has the power to destroy both the body and soul in hell. (Matthew 10:28)

Furthermore, God's judgment for the individual will be based on the individual's own actions. No one will be able to blame the devil.

~~~~~

I answer yes to all three, but with a stipulation. Based upon Matthew 10:28, I acknowledge the possibility that God will completely destroy both the body and the soul (in hell!). However, I'm not going to build doctrine based on one verse.

I do reject the doctrine of universal reconciliation based on many verses that have been presented by many people in many other threads. I'm not going to argue it.
Me giving the devil credit ????? I believe the Lord's arm is not to short save but obviously you believe in a devil who is able to over power the arm of God.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:13 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Me giving the devil credit ????? I believe the Lord's arm is not to short save but obviously you believe in a devil who is able to over power the arm of God.
Where do you get that? where is it anywhere that anyone sees or even says that the devil overcoming God? I have seen you make such accusations in other threads. You have every right to disagree with us but don't put inaccurate words in people's mouths. You are just creating strawmans, making bizarre judgments.

Every true Christian knows that the devil is defeated and that the devil is not even come close as a foe to God.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 06-09-2009 at 08:24 AM..

Old 06-09-2009, 09:03 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times
Quote:
Ok, one more thing before I leave...

Please guys, try not to blow this thread up into a huge debate.
Here we go again.

There's some points that I want to respond to, but I'd like to give sparrow a chance to continue first.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:54 AM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times
Ok, thanks little elmer.

Now, a follow-up question, if you all don't mind...(and would be so gracious), ok to those who answered yes to my questions:

Since I think most who answered yes, answered yes to all three questions... let's just focus on the first question about your loved ones.

1. Could you tell me what you think about when this fear crops up in your mind about your loved ones?

2. How often do you think about it?

3. What do you tell/ask God when the fear comes in your mind?

And the last question and the most important:

4. (I know you will say only God knows, but this is just a hypothetical situation), but if, let's say you could know definitely that your loved one WILL go to hell. and there is nothing at all that you can do to change it. (just bear with me, AGAIN this is a hypothetical situation.) Then...
  • a.If you cannot do ANYTHING to change it, how would you go about the rest of your life with that person?? Knowing he is definitely going to hell and you'll never see him/her again? Would you shower him or her with love? Or would you start to push him/her away, and keep your distance from him?
  • b. And what is your reasoning for doing so?
Again, the fourth question, if you can't answer this hypothetical question, then just skip it. But it is the most important question.

Thanks again, y'all...

If you want to skip a question, that's fine!!!
Answer as many as you can.
But the last question, really is the most important question.

Thanks guys!!

Old 06-09-2009, 10:22 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times
Quote:

1. Could you tell me what you think about when this fear crops up in your mind about your loved ones?
unfathomable but the fear is what drives me to give them the gospel. My fear is them cursing my name in hell because I never told them about that place or the gospel.

Quote:
2. How often do you think about it?
Everyday. Charlse Spurgeon said, "that if you have no desire for others to be saved, then you yourself are not saved be sure of that"
Quote:
3. What do you tell/ask God when the fear comes in your mind?
Nothing. I remember reading about all those years Job suffered and God did not respond to Job's pleas and finally when God did answer, did God give an explanation? No instead God asked Job, where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? If God said that to Job, what do you think He would tell me? Who am I compared to Job?

Quote:
4. (I know you will say only God knows, but this is just a hypothetical situation), but if, let's say you could know definitely that your loved one WILL go to hell. and there is nothing at all that you can do to change it. (just bear with me, AGAIN this is a hypothetical situation.) Then...
  • a.If you cannot do ANYTHING to change it, how would you go about the rest of your life with that person?? Knowing he is definitely going to hell and you'll never see him/her again? Would you shower him or her with love? Or would you start to push him/her away, and keep your distance from him?
  • I know what you are alluding to but it is not that simple. We are all sinners and all sin is a product of pride, we want to be liked; we don't want to be shun and we know preaching the gospel to our friends and family can result in us being outcasts, for example my wife's family is Muslim and they treat her differently now that she is a Christian, it hurts her very much but she is determined with the help of the Holy Spirit to fight against her pride and still give the gospel but she still misses her family a lot and war wages on and then there are some of us that do surrended and spend what precious moments we have left with them.
  • Quote:
    b. And what is your reasoning for doing so?
    Because I love them and I am commanded by God to tell everyone the good news.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 06-09-2009 at 10:46 AM..

Old 06-09-2009, 10:56 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,456 times
Quote:

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes, bad people, good people, famous people, hell is not limited by who it will accept. It accepts all that are rejected by God, who have themselves rejected God's son Jesus Christ and the work he did on the cross to save us from our sins.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:03 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
But haven`t you stated before that God has chosen most people to go there? That he actually created the overwhelming majority of men,women,and children knowing that just about all of them would go there?
You do not know who will go to hell. So for you to say ALL is in error. God does not chose who will go to hell, we chose ourselves by rejecting his son Jesus Christ.

God knows who will go to hell because he has a foreknowledge of all of history, but he did not affect the choice of those people who reject him based on his foreknowledge of the events as much as you can affect past events by your memory of them.

If God knows that many will go to hell, he will also know that many will go to heaven, in fact scripture is clear that there is such a multitude of people that will go to heaven that it says: "And I beheld a multitude of people from every tribe, toungue, kindred and nation, which no man could number..." So, heaven will be filled with a group of people which no man can number. That seems like a good reason for this time on earth, even with all of the pain and suffering we see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity