Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:14 AM

624 posts, read 1,072,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup Eli View Post
Hello BigV

But isn't the works of Jesus result in

John 8:32

which is at least considered a component of salvation (to be free)? I say component

because each person must determine "their salvation" but the foundation is

Jesus who has become the author of salvation through the Holy Spirit.

So thoughts become action (not scriptural here but remember Jesus said if you lust after a woman in your mind its the same as...) the saying goes If you ask, ye shall receive. Asking a question which is drafted in your mind will give you the experience (answer) you will know and so desire.

Both what you mentioned and what I am hopefully relaying are starting points in my opinion but it's not how you start it's how you finish (end) the race set before us all (this part can be found scripturally that is the "end" specifically "your end").

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Thanks.
I don't think Jesus meant righteous works, but miracles, like resurrection. Since Jesus mentioned 'even greater works' will be done by believers and supposedly Jesus was the height of perfection.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'd say that I'm leaning towards skeptical/agnostic worldview now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 08:10 AM

87 posts, read 87,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
I don't think Jesus meant righteous works, but miracles, like resurrection. Since Jesus mentioned 'even greater works' will be done by believers and supposedly Jesus was the height of perfection.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'd say that I'm leaning towards skeptical/agnostic worldview now
Greetings again BigV

These greater works, even the believer at his time did not know these 'greater works' and this is what gets the believers in Christ of today yesterday and probably tomorrow entangled and ultimately give up on their walk.

Remember Jesus was asked "how can we do the works of God" Even the people of his day did not know how to do the works of God if they asked this question. In short Jesus mentioning "greater works" would leave them ultimately befuddled so he reserved that "priviledge" for his disciples. And the truth of the matter it did just that.

Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

That's simple enough word wise but in deed it's very hard because you must build your life (again salvation) around that at almost every moment you have time to ponder.

If you don't do the least how can you know these "greater works". (Oh I am going into faith and the points thereof but I will not.) I think all of us need to stick with feeding the hungry, visiting the sick and those in prison, etc. This world is full of people in these straits regardless of religious or spiritual orientation needing these deeds done now(in "your" own time) and I think forever.

As of today, devils can perform 'miracles' so for me I'll leave these so call 'greater works' to them. I dont want to get ahead of myself.

The world is all encompassing to include every view of humanity in terms of belief and deeds. No one is born with a belief, only what they can sharpen (their knowing) to form their belief and habits(deeds). I cannot find fault in that if I possess the same.

Peace.

Just my thoughts on this matter.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity