Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 03:41 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,557,354 times

Advertisements

If you are correct in your beliefs, and we are wrong, how will it effect us in the long run?
If we are correct and you are wrong...then what?

Old 06-26-2009, 03:53 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,954,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
If you are correct in your beliefs, and we are wrong, how will it effect us in the long run?

What if we are both wrong and we should be proclaiming Allahs name?

Old 06-26-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
What authority do you follow to do that???

Old 06-26-2009, 04:07 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,504,514 times
Quote:
Then you will be held accountable for preaching a false gospel. You will be held accountable for proclaiming to the masses that God will torture and unmercifully brutalize most every human being that has ever lived. When someone turned away from God because of the brutallity with which you painted God with, then you will answer to God for that. When the truth is finally known to all and it is revealed that you actually said these things about the creator then you must give account. You will not be able to say, you had no idea. The truth has been giving to you time and again.
It is an awful thing to fall into the wrath of God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Good point.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:13 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,720,099 times
You question is Pascal's wager.

The core problem with the non-universal view is that it is rooted in fear: you advocate hedging your bets that God will smite and hate out of fear of the possibility.

Takes a lot more courage to stand strong in the name of universal and unconditional love (and experience what that love really means), face the condemnation of society rooted in fear and, perhaps someday, the judgment of a god.

In such a hypothetical case, I would simply say to that god, "I don't want any part of your heaven. You demand fear from your followers, and that does not take courage. That simply takes servitude through threat of punishment like a child submissive to an abusive father who demands love with a leather belt held high. There is no growth in that. I'll take your Hell. Can't be any worse than that."

Old 06-26-2009, 04:14 PM

23,025 posts, read 34,415,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Then you will be held accountable for preaching a false gospel. You will be held accountable for proclaiming to the masses that God will torture and unmercifully brutalize most every human being that has ever lived. When someone turned away from God because of the brutallity with which you painted God with, then you will answer to God for that. When the truth is finally known to all and it is revealed that you actually said these things about the creator then you must give account. You will not be able to say, you had no idea. The truth has been giving to you time and again.
It is an awful thing to fall into the wrath of God.

And the same thing applies to YOU too

Old 06-26-2009, 04:14 PM

27 posts, read 31,531 times
Quote:
I am a believer in Christ and I think that God's plan of salvation is one of Universal Reconciliation. I have never said there are more than one path to God. Salvation comes through belief and submission to Christ because no one can come to the Father accept through Jesus. Unitarians believe in more than one path leading to God, Universalists don't. We merely disagree on if there is a chance for repentance and thus salvation after mortal death or not. I believe God is sovereign over ALL THINGS, including death. Every knee shall bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.

We can both discuss this in Glory but I am sure who is right or wrong will have no significance when dwelling with Christ for all eternity(to the ages of the ages). Amazing how the mistranslation of one word and its various tenses can cause all of this strife...

In Christ.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:19 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,338,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You question is Pascal's wager.

The core problem with the non-universal view is that it is rooted in fear: you advocate hedging your bets that God will smite and hate out of fear of the possibility.

Takes a lot more courage to stand strong in the name of universal and unconditional love (and experience what that love really means), face the condemnation of society rooted in fear and, perhaps someday, the judgment of a god.

In such a hypothetical case, I would simply say to that god, "I don't want any part of your heaven. You demand fear from your followers, and that does not take courage. That simply takes servitude through threat of punishment like a child submissive to an abusive father who demands love with a leather belt held high. There is no growth in that. I'll take your Hell. Can't be any worse than that."
Brilliant response

Old 06-26-2009, 04:22 PM

spm2, I really cannot believe that God is going to condemn anyone for obeying His doctrine, as it is reccorded in the new covenant.

I cannot find any scripture that says we will be condemned if we believe what the Holy Spirit inspired the writers to write about what will happen to the wicked and unbeliving.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:30 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,954,450 times
Quote:
What authority do you follow to do that???
The authority of the logic you are using.

It's simply a logical continuation of your point. When a person stands on the "what if" logic (as you are doing), then you must apply the same logic to your own beliefs or you will have no credibility.

So, you believe a certain way, but the "what if" logic is not limited to the choices YOU provide otherwise it is clear that you are only protecting your own viewpoint falsely.

So own up to your own logic.

I do not stand on the what if, I believe what I believe and it's as simple as that, if I am wrong, it will have to play out however it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity