Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 04:50 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom-in-Christ View Post
I am a believer in Christ and I think that God's plan of salvation is one of Universal Reconciliation. I have never said there are more than one path to God. Salvation comes through belief and submission to Christ because no one can come to the Father accept through Jesus. Unitarians believe in more than one path leading to God, Universalists don't. We merely disagree on if there is a chance for repentance and thus salvation after mortal death or not. I believe God is sovereign over ALL THINGS, including death. Every knee shall bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.

We can both discuss this in Glory but I am sure who is right or wrong will have no significance when dwelling with Christ for all eternity(to the ages of the ages). Amazing how the mistranslation of one word and its various tenses can cause all of this strife...

In Christ.
That one was repped.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:55 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
If you are correct in your beliefs, and we are wrong, how will it effect us in the long run?
If we are correct and you are wrong...then what?
What i can say from experience is that when the Lord as delivered me from the bondage He as shown that i have been in, through the carnality of my mind and my misconception of Him , it's painful , but He is the great physician and gently tends to the pain at the same time .
I have wept on numerous occasions because of the shameful things i have believed about my Lord .

Maybe this will be the effect in the long run.

Moderator cut: copyright violation.

Last edited by june 7th; 06-28-2009 at 01:08 PM..

Old 06-26-2009, 07:09 PM

14,885 posts, read 17,164,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom-in-Christ
I am a believer in Christ and I think that God's plan of salvation is one of Universal Reconciliation. I have never said there are more than one path to God. Salvation comes through belief and submission to Christ because no one can come to the Father accept through Jesus. Unitarians believe in more than one path leading to God, Universalists don't. We merely disagree on if there is a chance for repentance and thus salvation after mortal death or not. I believe God is sovereign over ALL THINGS, including death. Every knee shall bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.

We can both discuss this in Glory but I am sure who is right or wrong will have no significance when dwelling with Christ for all eternity(to the ages of the ages). Amazing how the mistranslation of one word and its various tenses can cause all of this strife...

In Christ
Amen. God bless.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:15 PM

192 posts, read 215,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
The core problem with the non-universal view is that it is rooted in fear: you advocate hedging your bets that God will smite and hate out of fear of the possibility.
The non-universal view is rooted in scripture. Some choose to abuse it by invoking fear, but that is not it's root. In fact, it is USers as much as those you criticize that are invoking it as fear-based. ETers cannot hedge bets, because that suggests one hasn't really yielded to God, but rather has the appearance of yielding to God. Perfect love casts out fear.

Quote:
Takes a lot more courage to stand strong in the name of universal and unconditional love (and experience what that love really means), face the condemnation of society rooted in fear and, perhaps someday, the judgment of a god.
Courage does not count with regard to God's supremacy or the salvation he makes available to all.

Quote:
In such a hypothetical case, I would simply say to that god, "I don't want any part of your heaven. You demand fear from your followers, and that does not take courage. That simply takes servitude through threat of punishment like a child submissive to an abusive father who demands love with a leather belt held high. There is no growth in that. I'll take your Hell. Can't be any worse than that."
Hypothetical or otherwise, how foolish it would be to think you would have such an attitude with God. What is man that he can call God demanding and abusive. Your words sound like one who does not love discipline. I dare say you do not understand God to think you can outright defy him so; to say you think you know what "hell" might be like and so willingingly opt for it. I realize you may want to project an angered feeling based upon his premise question, but, brother, you should be ashamed of your response.

Proverbs 3:11-12 My son, do not despise the LORD's discipline or be weary of his reproof, for the LORD reproves him who he loves, as a father the son in whom he delights.

Proverbs 12:1-3 Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid. Agood man obtains favor from the LORD, but a man of evil devices he condemns. No one is established by wickness, but the root of the righteous will never be moved.

Last edited by Just1Man; 06-26-2009 at 10:33 PM..

Old 06-26-2009, 10:17 PM

702 posts, read 1,006,504 times
Perhaps, in part, the underestimation of the power associated with the God Who is love, strengthens the thought He cannot be ruler over all if He isn't cruel enough. That seems to be the human logic with which the Empires of Man have been based. Mercilous cruelty and greatest force has nevertheless proven unsuccesful to maintain previous Empires of Man. But that where they failed, God will succeed with love?! Ridiculous indeed, to the carnal lmind; but, "With God all things are possible."

Old 06-26-2009, 10:29 PM

106 posts, read 136,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
If you are correct in your beliefs, and we are wrong, how will it effect us in the long run?
If we are correct and you are wrong...then what?
If we're wrong: we're still saved because we STILL believe in Christ's sacrifice to us, and we just thought God was more powerful than what most people assumed. But, seriously, if he really sends people to Hell for eternity without mercy: I want nothing to do with him.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:30 PM

702 posts, read 1,006,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Man View Post
Perfect love casts out fear.

[omit. . .]

Hypothetical or otherwise, how foolish it would be to think you would have such an attitude with God. What is man that he can call God demanding and abusive. Your words sound like one who does not love discipline.

I dare say you do not understand God to think you can outright defy him so; to say you think you know what "hell" might be like and so willingingly opt for it. I realize you may want to project an angered feeling based upon his premise question, but, brother, you should be ashamed of your response.
A god who makes all things for His pleasure makes man and the lake of fire knows ahead of time He will have pleasure in torturing them in fire without ceasing for ever. He has determined to make us in His image and likeness, commanding us to imitate Him as His dear children. We are then to become Masters Torturers who really enjoy the anointing to miraculously continue torturing without ceasing.

You want to be with all that? I say you have a sick mind then, and are a dangerous person, advocating such evils against your fellow man for whom Christ died. We know people in the past who claimed they were God's bride, His Church, and under deleticio carborundum consigned men to temporal flames that they might save them from eternal flames. This went on in England for 200 years. Who knows, you may act upon such leadings from your god against my children. What must I do to prevent you?

Old 06-26-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom-in-Christ View Post

In Christ.
Aside from an interpretation of the "age-during" or "ages of ages", what scriptural support is there for salvation after death?

With regard to mistranslation, it has been often said by USers that "age-during" or "ages of ages" does not actually mean eternal or forever, but that it means only for a time (is limited). However, this cannot apply to God himself in Rev 15:7.

Revelation 15:7 And one of the four living creatures gave to the seven angels seven golden bowls full of the wrath of God who lives forever and ever.

The same word is used here. Either it is saying God is only "ages of ages"
or it says he is eternal. I tend to be of the opinion "ages of ages" means eternal. You can't have it both ways.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:35 PM

23,018 posts, read 34,390,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domoman View Post
If we're wrong: we're still saved because we STILL believe in Christ's sacrifice to us, and we just thought God was more powerful than what most people assumed. But, seriously, if he really sends people to Hell for eternity without mercy: I want nothing to do with him.
Without mercy????? He isn't going to send anyone to hell, they will be sending themselves for rejecting Him. You want mercy just look at the cross, look at how patient He is waiting for more to be saved. But He is also a just God and He will do what He said in His Word, hell is eternal separation from Him.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMRohde View Post
Perhaps, in part, the underestimation of the power associated with the God Who is love, strengthens the thought He cannot be ruler over all if He isn't cruel enough. That seems to be the human logic with which the Empires of Man have been based. Mercilous cruelty and greatest force has nevertheless proven unsuccesful to maintain previous Empires of Man. But that where they failed, God will succeed with love?! Ridiculous indeed, to the carnal lmind; but, "With God all things are possible."
Perhaps, in part, the underestimation of the righteousness of God and his desire that all who would believe would have eternal life, strengthens the thought He cannot be truly loving if he expects us to relate and respond to him in order to receive the gracious gift of salvation. That seems to be the human logic with which Adam and Eve were deceived in Eden.
"Surely God didn't say you shall die?" becomes
"Surely God didn't say forever and ever?"
Likewise, "God knows when you eat of it you will be like him [God would be jealous]" becomes
"God will send you to the lake of fire forever because he is cruel!"
Ridiculous indeed because it has been tried before; but "Do not be deceived. God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap." (Gal 6:7)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity