Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 11:02 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,407,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Ok so rodger says it is a limited amount of time pertaining to whatever the subject is. Ex. Eternal damnation=limited to until the damnation is not needed.

You say it is a perpetual or uninterrupted amount of time pertaining to whatever the subject is? Ex. God is eternal = endless, eternal damnation= uninterrupted amount of damnation without specification as to the duration?

I must be dense tonight and I'm not being sarcastic. I don't see my problem with this. I mean I know what I believe but when I look at the sentence... Could you give me an example?
My contention is that here simply is no use of aionios that doesn't make perfect sense as a limited period of time as demonstrated by this concordance
THE EONS OF THE BIBLE WITH CONCORDANCE
The eons of the Bible With Concordance, God’s purpose of the eons.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:35 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,032,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgertutt View Post
God is the God of the eons, the aionios (eonian) God.
In no way does that limit Him.
It just tells us specifically Who the Boss is of what happens during the sin filled eons.
You say that now but when you say that aionios pertains to a limited duration then you are right back to limiting God. You can't have it both ways. Your preaching contradiction in doing so. If God is the aionion God then obviously aionion as and adjective can't be presenting God as limited but that is exactly what you say when you say that aionios pertains to a limited duration. Watch and I bet you go right back to saying that aionios pertains to a limited duration.

Paul

Old 10-01-2009, 05:37 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,032,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Ok so rodger says it is a limited amount of time pertaining to whatever the subject is. Ex. Eternal damnation=limited to until the damnation is not needed.

You say it is a perpetual or uninterrupted amount of time pertaining to whatever the subject is? Ex. God is eternal = endless, eternal damnation= uninterrupted amount of damnation without specification as to the duration?

I must be dense tonight and I'm not being sarcastic. I don't see my problem with this. I mean I know what I believe but when I look at the sentence... Could you give me an example?
Not perpetual, aionios doesn't address the end point. Perpetual or endless says their is no end point. I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that aionios says that some is and will continue to be beyond the current age.

Paul

Old 10-01-2009, 07:04 AM

Default "shown to denote limited duration"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Watch and I bet you go right back to saying that aionios pertains to a limited duration.

Paul
It is my understanding that on its own aionios literally just means "duration."

But as it is used in the Bible here is why I believe it always means a limited duration of time as demonstrated in this link of every use of it.
The eons of the Bible With Concordance, God’s purpose of the eons.

So you are right. I go right back to saying aionios, as it is used in the Bible, always pertains to a limited duration.
In fact, that is the rather lengthy title of this expostion by John Hanson, the contents of which explains in detail why I believe it.

THE GREEK WORD AIÓN -- AIÓNIOS, TRANSLATED Everlasting -- Eternal, IN THE HOLY BIBLE, SHOWN TO DENOTE LIMITED DURATION.
AIÓN -- AIÓNIOS

Old 10-01-2009, 07:42 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,948,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Perpetual or endless says their is no end point.
Paul

Perpetual does not inherantly mean no end point. A plant can bloom perpetually throughout its life span.

So there is an endpoint in that context.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:06 AM

Default aidios, not aionios means "perpetual"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Perpetual does not inherantly mean no end point. A plant can bloom perpetually throughout its life span.

I think you are right Phazelwood.

Youngs concordance says that it is aidios, not aionious, that means perpetual, and that it can mean "no end point" as Young applies it in Romans 1:20 in reference to "eternal (aidios) power and Godhead."

But even aidios can be limited by a qualifying phrase as it is in Jude 6, "unto the judgment of the great day."

Young always translates aionios as "age-during."
He obviously agrees with John Hanson about that being correct.

THE GREEK WORD AIÓN -- AIÓNIOS, TRANSLATED Everlasting -- Eternal, IN THE HOLY BIBLE, SHOWN TO DENOTE LIMITED DURATION.
AIÓN -- AIÓNIOS

Old 10-01-2009, 09:30 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,530,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post

Yes that is what I mean by perpetual. That in context to the subject it is unending or without interruption. Everlasting life could be considered perpetual without damaging either view of life as the spiritual continues into the next age but the physical was without interruption until death. Once a tree starts to fruit it will bring forth fruit perpetually, until it is cut down that is. But fruits perpetually into the next age if seeds from it caused another tree to give fruit.

IMO

Old 10-01-2009, 10:08 AM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,550 times
You cannot love an endless hell God . . .

Can you love a God that:

1. Allowed Job to suffer the loss of children, health etc.

2. What about Ananias?

3. Lot's Wife Being Turned to Salt

4. The Flood

5. The torturous and brutal beating of His Son for Us??

And the list goes on and on. Can you love this kind of God?

I can. God is Just, is all knowing, and yes, we cannot even define His love . . . but apparently . . . as the Bible states . . there is also wrath.

We can talk about God's Grace . . . and Love . . . which is scriptural . . . but we must also see how scriptures describe Him.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:21 AM

Default God's wrath is always governed by his love

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
You cannot love an endless hell God . . .

Can you love a God that:

1. Allowed Job to suffer the loss of children, health etc.

2. What about Ananias?

3. Lot's Wife Being Turned to Salt

4. The Flood

5. The torturous and brutal beating of His Son for Us??

And the list goes on and on. Can you love this kind of God?

I can. God is Just, is all knowing, and yes, we cannot even define His love . . . but apparently . . . as the Bible states . . there is also wrath.

We can talk about God's Grace . . . and Love . . . which is scriptural . . . but we must also see how scriptures describe Him.
The administration of God's wrath will always be governed by the fact that God is love in essence, not just a loving individual.

God is not wrath, but God is LOVE in essence.

I can love a God Who allows any amount of suffering temporarily, as long as I can be assured that it will eventually be better for everyone that the suffering occured because of what Christ accomplished by His death and resurrection, through the power in the blood of His cross.

The existence of lots of suffering never caused me any problem.
But the idea that God would let anyone choose themselves into an inescapable state of never ending suffering forever was what caused my twelve year nervous breakdown 1966-78. I'm 70 years old now.

WILL JESUS TORTURE BILLIONS FOREVER?
The Law of Circularity: Will Jesus Torture Billions Forever? How Men Are Saved

Answer: NOT A CHANCE

Last edited by rodgertutt; 10-01-2009 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: highlighting

Old 10-01-2009, 10:29 AM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgertutt View Post
The administration of God's wrath will always be governed by the fact that God is love in essence, not just a loving individual.

God is not wrath, but God is LOVE in essence.

I can love a God Who allows any amount of suffering temporarily, as long as I can be assured that it will eventually be better for everyone that the suffering occured because of what Christ accomplished by His death and resurrection, through the power in the blood of His cross.

The existence of lots of suffering never caused me any problem.
But the idea that God would let anyone choose themselves into an inescapable state of never ending suffering forever was what caused my twelve year nervous breakdown 1966-78. I'm 70 years old now.

WILL JESUS TORTURE BILLIONS FOREVER?
The Law of Circularity: Will Jesus Torture Billions Forever? How Men Are Saved

Answer: NOT A CHANCE
I understand how and why you had those problems a bit ago. I am studying the Bible, and have looked at many UR websites my friends here provided me.

I am also studying verses that bring me to Annihilation. At this time, I see more scriptural evidence for that . . . . on the other hand . . . many of my friends are ETers . . . and I see scripture that would support that as well.

My thoughts: We can have fun discussing and debating these things . . . but lets all know this . . . . we will not know 100% until it happens . . . by reading and studying other's beliefs, I have changed some of mind . . . I am pondering and thinking and dwelling on other views . . . and of course, I am more convicted in some of the views I own already.

But we all should not say I know the whole truth on every aspect of God, and every aspect of end times, and who and where and what will happen to everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity