Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 07:25 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,902,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Wow that is cool, didn't know that TKC. Question though: I thought the OT was in Hebrew, is this a greek translation of the OT?
Yes, this is from the LXX (the Septuagint) which is an ancient greek translation of the Hebrew, made between the 1st and 3rd centuries BC. The translation was done by 70 Jewish scholars.

Septuagint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PS I didn't know it either until a few hours ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 08:02 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,523,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Fear mongering ... You will be judged in the manner that ye judge. You are the one who should be careful. You can't control us with you violence or your threats of torture. Wake up ... Its spiritual extortion and Violence.
And What is up with saying the "Final Answer!" thing.... Who wants to be a millionaire contestant or what? I don't get it Betsey.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:07 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,277,299 times
Quote:
Fear mongering ... You will be judged in the manner that ye judge. You are the one who should be careful. You can't control us with you violence or your threats of torture. Wake up ... Its spiritual extortion and Violence.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:56 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,658,228 times
Matthew 23:
(34) Wherefore behold, I send unto you Prophets, and wisemen, and Scribes, and some of them shall ye kill and crucify, and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city.
(35) That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel, unto the blood of Zacharias, son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.
(36) Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.
(37) O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the Prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not?
(38) Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.
(39) For I say unto you, ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is He that cometh in the Name of the Lord.

They didn't like the terms in which Christ wanted to gather them, they loved their sins, and would not submit to the grace of Christ...Jesus reads Jerusalem's doom (v.38-39); Therefore behold your house is left unto you desolate. Both the city and the temple, God's house and their own, all shall be laid waste.

Psalms 81:
(11) But My people would not hearken to My voice : and they walked in their own counsels.
(12) So I gave them up unto their own hearts lust : and Israel would none of Me.

Their house shall be deserted; it is left unto you. Christ was now departing from the temple, and never came into it again, but by His word, abandoned it to ruin...

...When Christ went, the glory departed. Their city was left to them, destitute of God's presence and grace.

...It is left unto you desolate; a wilderness...

...For what comfort can there be where Christ is not?...

... a wilderness, a land of darkness. This comes from men rejecting Christ.

It was not long after, destroyed and ruined, to be made a city a heap...

Isaiah 25:
(2) For thou hast made of a city, an heap; of a defenced city, a ruin: a palace of strangers, to be no city, it shall never be built.

A lofty city laid low, even to the ground...

Isaiah 26:
(5) For He bringeth down them that dwelleth on high, the lofty city He layeth it low, even to the ground, He bringeth it even to the dust.

When God goes out, all the enemies break in.

His final farewell to them and their temple; ye shall not see Me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is He that cometh in the name of the Lord.

The time was at hand, when He would leave the world, to ascend into heaven to His Father, and be seen no more. After His resurrection, very few witnesses saw Him, but He soon left into the invisible world, and there He will be till the time of the restitution of all things, when His welcome at His first coming will be met with shouts of acclamations; Blessed is He that cometh in the name of the Lord!!!

Christ will not be seen again till He comes in the clouds, and every eye shall see Him...

Revelations 1:
(7) Behold He cometh with clouds, and every eye shall see Him, and they also which pearced Him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of Him: even so. Amen.

...and then, even they, who rejected Him and pierced Him, while living their lives here on earth prior to this miraculous event, will be glad to come in among His adorers; then every knee shall bow, to Him, even those who bowed to Baal; and even the workers of iniquity will cry Lord, Lord... then, when His wrath is kindled, that blessed are all they that put their trust in Him. Would we want to be among those who shout joyfully, Blessed is He that cometh? Let us be them now, with them that truly worship, and truly welcome Jesus Christ.

Their continued blindness; Ye shall not see Me, that is, not see Me to be the Messiah (for otherwise they did see him upon the cross), not see the light of the truth concerning Me. THEY WILL NEVER BE CONVINCED, till Christ's second coming convinces them, WHEN IT WILL BE TOO LATE TO TAKE AN INTEREST IN HIM, and nothing will remain but a fearful looking for of judgment.

"If they will not see, they shall not see."...With this word He concludes His public preaching.

After His resurrection, which was the sign of the prophet Jonas, they should have no other sign given them, till they should see the sign of man...

Matthew 23:
(24) Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.
(25) Woe unto you Scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites; for ye make clean the outside of the cup, and of the platter, but within they are are full of extortion and excess.
(26) Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.
(27) Woe unto you Scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead mens bones, and of all uncleanness.
(28) Even so, ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hipocrisy and iniquity.
(29) Woe unto you Scribes and Pharisees, because you build the tombs of the Prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous,
(30) And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the Prophets.

When the Lord comes with His saints, He will convince all, and will force acknowledgements from the proudest of His enemies, of His being the Messiah, and even they shall be found liars to Him. They that would not now come at His call, shall then be forced to depart with His curse.

The chief priests and scribes didn't like it when the children cried hosanna! to Christ; but the day is coming, when proud persecutors will gladly be found in the midst of those they now mock and trample upon. They who now reproach and ridicule the hosannas of the saints will be of another mind shortly; it were better to be of that mind now.

Last edited by Verna Perry; 09-26-2009 at 11:30 PM..

Old 09-26-2009, 11:23 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,944,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Matthew 23:
(34) Wherefore behold, I send unto you Prophets, and wisemen, and Scribes, and some of them shall ye kill and crucify, and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city.
(35) That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel, unto the blood of Zacharias, son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.
(37) O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the Prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not?
(39) For I say unto you, ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is He that cometh in the Name of the Lord.

They didn't like the terms in which Christ wanted to gather them, they loved their sins, and would not submit to the grace of Christ...Jesus reads Jerusalem's doom (v.38-39); Therefore behold your house is left unto you desolate. Both the city and the temple, God's house and their own, all shall be laid waste.

Psalms 81:
(11) But My people would not hearken to My voice : and they walked in their own counsels.
(12) So I gave them up unto their own hearts lust : and Israel would none of Me.

Their house shall be deserted; it is left unto you. Christ was now departing from the temple, and never came into it again, but by His word, abandoned it to ruin...

...When Christ went, the glory departed. Their city was left to them, destitute of God's presence and grace.

Isaiah 25:
(2) For thou hast made of a city, an heap; of a defenced city, a ruin: a palace of strangers, to be no city, it shall never be built.

Isaiah 26:
(5) For He bringeth down them that dwelleth on high, the lofty city He layeth it low, even to the ground, He bringeth it even to the dust.

His final farewell to them and their temple; ye shall not see Me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is He that cometh in the name of the Lord.

The time was at hand, when He would leave the world, to ascend into heaven to His Father, and be seen no more. After His resurrection, very few witnesses saw Him, but He soon left into the invisible world, and there He will be till the time of the restitution of all things, when His welcome at His first coming will be met with shouts of acclamations; Blessed is He that cometh in the name of the Lord!!!

Christ will not be seen again till He comes in the clouds, and every eye shall see Him...

Revelations 1:
(7) Behold He cometh with clouds, and every eye shall see Him, and they also which pearced Him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of Him: even so. Amen.

...and then, even they, who rejected Him and pierced Him, while living their lives here on earth prior to this miraculous event, will be glad to come in among His adorers; then every knee shall bow, to Him, even those who bowed to Baal; and even the workers of iniquity will cry Lord, Lord... then, when His wrath is kindled, that blessed are all they that put their trust in Him. Would we want to be among those who shout jofully, Blessed is He that cometh? Let us be them now, with them that truly worship, and truly welcome Jesus Christ.

Their continued blindness; Ye shall not see Me, that is, not see Me to be the Messiah (for otherwise they did see him upon the cross), not see the light of the truth concerning Me. THEY WILL NEVER BE CONVINCED, till Christ's second coming convinces them, WHEN IT WILL BE TOO LATE TO TAKE AN INTEREST IN HIM, and nothing will remain but a fearful looking for of judgment.

"If they will not see, they shall not see."...With this word He concludes His public preaching.

After His resurrection, which was the sign of the prophet Jonas, they should have no other sign given them, till they should see the sign of man...

Matthew 23:
(25) Woe unto you Scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites; for ye make clean the outside of the cup, and of the platter, but within they are are full of extortion and excess.
(26) Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.
(27) Woe unto you Scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead mens bones, and of all uncleanness.
(28) Even so, ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hipocrisy and iniquity.
(29) Woe unto you Scribes and Pharisees, because you build the tombs of the Prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous,
(30) And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the Prophets.

When the Lord comes with His saints, He will convince all, and will force acknowledgements from the proudest of His enemies, of His being the Messiah, and even they shall be found liars to Him. They that would not now come at His call, shall then be forced to depart with His curse.

The chief priests and scribes didn't like it when the children cried hosanna! to Christ; but the day is coming, when proud persecutors will gladly be found in the midst of those they now mock and trample upon. They who now reproach and ridicule the hosannas of the saints will be of another mind shortly; it were better to be of that mind now.

I definatly want people to enjoy a better life now, I know people from various points of view that struggle with living life, finding meaning, arguing that their way is the way. Sometimes we need to help people figure out the specifics of their issues.

Not all issues that people have are solved simply because they say they accept christ based on religious tradition.

I know people who have been so tainted by organized religion that they simply have no other perspective for accepting Christ except for what religion has given them. Yet, they understand what Christ like means, they understand that there is a greater standard in which they will be held accountable for. While some may argue that this is just a measure of someone thinking their a good person, I challenge that against the religious tradition that tends to base the observation of ones acceptance on an emotional and legalistic manner which is just as false. I challenge it with the spirit in which they live.

It is true that within the CU camp there can be teachings that I will oppose for the same reasons, teachings that I have seen lead people to be complacent because of a false view of our accountability.

We must not forget teaching accountability, but we must see that God is that final authority not the leverage of our feelings. God is the one who changes us and them in due time.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:25 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,918,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow.
...And how wonderful that when you do start to understand His plan, that ALL will be reconciled.... you start to see people in a new light. A redeemed light. You cast off those ideas you had of people and start to see them and LOVE them TRULY as your brothers and sisters. What could GLORIFY GOD MORE than to develop the LOVE in your heart for ALL people??? Can I ask you... WHAT could possibly GLORIFY GOD more than for His children to develop LOVE for all people?? Isn't that the second of His 2 great commandments??? Some of those that we love may be very LOST right now... but in your heart you know they will be FOUND. He IS the Good Shepherd who will leave the 99 to go seek out and bring back the ONE that is lost.

HOW GREAT HE IS!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Thank you so much, Sparrow! Your whole post was beautiful and gave my spirits a much needed lift.
God bless you Pleroo, I am so glad that it lifted your spirits.

What a wonderful Father we have, huh?

Old 09-26-2009, 11:31 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,523,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Matthew 23:

It was laid to waste (70AD).

and yet

Acts 5:31 God exalted him to his own right hand as Prince and Savior that he might give repentance and forgiveness of sins to Israel.

That was the purpose.
Quote:
Psalms 81:

Isaiah 25:

Isaiah 26:

The time was at hand, when He would leave the world, to ascend into heaven to His Father, and be seen no more.
After His resurrection, very few witnesses saw Him, but He soon left into the invisible world, and there He will be till the time of the restitution of all things, when His welcome at His first coming will be met with shouts of acclamations; Blessed is He that cometh in the name of the Lord!!!
Ok wait hold on... I don't understand where I highlighted...You don't understand that the temple was his coming in judgment against Jerusalem. Every corrupt person (and unfortunately some people who were deceived) was slaughtered or died of famine in that city. Then you go into his ascension which was 30+ years prior to the destruction of the temple and city...

Quote:

Revelations 1:
Why are you taking the "pierced him" figuratively? Those that really pierced him were the Roman guards and if you wanna take it even further you could say it was the Jewish leaders that brought him to trial. But there is no way to justify that those who "pierced him" would be you are anyone after then.
Quote:
...and then, even they, who rejected Him and pierced Him, while living their lives here on earth prior to this miraculous event, will be glad to come in among His adorers; then every knee shall bow, to Him, even those who bowed to Baal; and even the workers of iniquity will cry Lord, Lord... then, when His wrath is kindled, that blessed are all they that put their trust in Him. Would we want to be among those who shout jofully, Blessed is He that cometh? Let us be them now, with them that truly worship, and truly welcome Jesus Christ.

“By terrible events an end was at length put to the Mosaic economy; for, with the destruction of their city and temple, the whole Jewish polity and church state were also subverted. From that time the remnant of that once highly favored nation have been dispersed throughout the world; despised and hated by all; subjected, from age to age, to a perpetual succession of persecutions and miseries, yet under all these disadvantages, upheld by Divine Providence as a distinct people. They have ever since remained ‘without a king, without a prince and without a sacrifice; without an altar, without an ephod, and without Divine manifestations;’ as monuments everywhere of the truth of Christianity—yet with this promise, that ‘the children of Israel shall return, and seek the Lord their God, and David their king, and shall fear the Lord and His goodness in the latter days’” (Hosea 3:4, 5).—W. Jones.

This already happened. They will reconcile.
Quote:

Matthew 23:

The chief priests and scribes didn't like it when the children cried hosanna! to Christ; but the day is coming, when proud persecutors wil gladly be found in the midst of those the now mock and trample upon. They who now reproach and ridicule the hosannas of the saints will be of another mind shortly; it were better to be of that mind now.
What are you trying to say here? You are talking about a time in the 1st century as if it applied to now somehow... It's hard to understand the meaning.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:42 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,658,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
I definatly want people to enjoy a better life now, I know people from various points of view that struggle with living life, finding meaning, arguing that their way is the way. Sometimes we need to help people figure out the specifics of their issues.

Not all issues that people have are solved simply because they say they accept christ based on religious tradition.

I know people who have been so tainted by organized religion that they simply have no other perspective for accepting Christ except for what religion has given them. Yet, they understand what Christ like means, they understand that there is a greater standard in which they will be held accountable for. While some may argue that this is just a measure of someone thinking their a good person, I challenge that against the religious tradition that tends to base the observation of ones acceptance on an emotional and legalistic manner which is just as false. I challenge it with the spirit in which they live.

It is true that within the CU camp there can be teachings that I will oppose for the same reasons, teachings that I have seen lead people to be complacent because of a false view of our accountability.

We must not forget teaching accountability, but we must see that God is that final authority not the leverage of our feelings. God is the one who changes us and them in due time.
Dearest Phaze,
I don't know what to say..............except that I love you...and I wish the very best for you, and I am here for you, if you ever need me. You are truly a blessing to me this night...and I am thanking God...

In His Everlasting Love,
Verna.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:51 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Verna and all the spiritual terrorists (I like that phrase),
Let's see if we can't clear all the bickering and confusion from the complicated mumbo jumbo of religious doctrine. God is LOVE . . . and that is all He wants from us. How many times have you seen love be FORCED successfully. (I know it is a frequent tactic of stupid people who have been rejected by the one they love . . . but have you EVER seen it work?) Does it even remotely make sense to you that God would threaten us to make us love Him and each other? What possible logic or rationale are you using to justify such a ridiculous premise.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:03 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,619,312 times
Quote:
Hell worshipers ... Gotta love em ... They just couldn't live without their eternal torture.

So what are believers in the word of Reconciliation evildoers? And you are righteous and special right? Only people like you does god love and only people who believe the way you do will be saved from your eternal torture right? I love you too ... God bless you ...
Quote:
You know the bible is like a mirror, it reveals the inner self. What you see in there when you read it is a reflection of your own soul. Some see condemnation and death for ever, some see love and life and the liberty of Christ for everyone ... What do you see?
Ah, so typical. First an attack on Bible believers as "hell worshipers" and then a UR lesson that the Bible is a mirror and we choose to see what we want to see.

You're right Irowmaw, you choose to see what YOU want to see. We UNDERSTAND what we read through prayer, the Holy Spirit and common sense that God gave us. We don't question His authority.

The Holy Bible is a reflection of GOD. If you see yourself when you read the Bible then that explains UR in a nutshell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity