Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 08:48 PM

23,025 posts, read 34,423,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
The first part is debatable.
Not if you believe the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 08:49 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,773,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
(This is a theological debate so please use theology, leave the politics home)

Is abortion wrong or right in the eyes of God? even under the horrible cases of rape, incest etc.... Please use scripture to support your answer not personal opinion.
Whatever God thinks about it ... If eternal torture is true, then, it is best for the babies ...

Old 11-07-2009, 08:58 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,299,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Not if you believe the Bible.
There is a difference between believing in the Bible and using it to dictate every aspect of your life.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:03 PM

23,025 posts, read 34,423,375 times
Quote:
There is a difference between believing in the Bible and using it to dictate every aspect of your life.
If you believe it, you will use it to guide your life. Done with this, it's off topic.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:05 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,299,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
If you believe it, you will use it to guide your life. Done with this, it's off topic.
The Bible is contradictory at points though. And what we are talking about relates to choices about abortion.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:21 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,626,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Whatever God thinks about it ... If eternal torture is true, then, it is best for the babies ...
Of course - I point that out to my many ET believing friends and they generally respond "what a terrible thing to say" or something to that effect.

I respond "But is it true? If ALL babies go to heaven aren't the odds good that many would not be saved - since 'few there be who find it?'".

After thinking they generally say "Well, it may be true - but I don't look at it that way".

(PS - yes spin - I know. You believe that there are evil wicked lying sinning infants and pre-borns who are going to 'hell' - you don't need to reiterate)

Old 11-08-2009, 03:32 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,109,012 times
god will always know if you kill a child that is always a gift from heaven....always...

God will,know and the death will always be a all you build between yourself and the Lord.

You cant hide the truth from yourself and expect God will not know and grieve for what you have done to your child,,,,your own child..

Old 11-08-2009, 03:50 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,589,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Think about it! If he is so worried about the unborn then why did he feel the need to kill the unborn Samaritans just because their parents worshiped another god?

Hosea 13:16
Samaria shall become desolate for she hath rebelled against her god. They shall fall by the sword: their children shall be dashed in pieces, their women with child shall be ripped up.

I think it is a valid argument. Some of you will say that god can do whatever the heck he wants when he get pithed off. Well he is supposed to be our shining example isn't he?
It's a description of what would happen with a mix of warning. (My view of the Bible does not entirely fit Orthodox Protestantism though as I'm not an Orthodox Protestant or any kind of Protestant)

If I went back to 1930 and said "Children will starve to death because of the Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act" that might be true, based on some theories of the Great Depression, but it wouldn't mean I'm commanding the death of children because I'm so into free-trade. It's just descriptive. Or if I went to the Weimar and told them some things they were doing would lead to "Jewish children yet unborn dying in agony", that's not a defense of abortion or killing Jews.

God has advanced knowledge we don't.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:07 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,356,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Lets look at that full verse..

"If men who are fighting hit a pregnant woman and she gives birth prematurely [e] but there is no serious injury, the offender must be fined whatever the woman's husband demands and the court allows. 23 But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, 24 eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25 burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.

If it isn't talking about a miscarriage resulting in the loss of the child then logically the verse means:

If you hit a pregnant woman and she gives birth to a fine baby boy or girl then you get fined (for hitting a woman)

However, if you hit a pregnant woman and she gives birth to a fine baby boy or girl but the woman is injured then you die.

It makes zero sense in the context of the passage to assume that the woman being pregnant has anything to do with the story (using the logic I put forth).

The authors could have easily stated:

You hit a woman and she is ok then you get fined.. you hit a woman and she is injured you die.

As you can see the logic is flawed.

The scripture CLEARLY is stating that if you hit a woman and she miscarriages but the woman isn't injured as a result of the miscarriage then you pay a fine (again no thought to the fetus).

However if the woman miscarries as a result of being hit and she is injured through the process of the miscarriage then big time wrong (again no thought to the fetus).

What is critical is is the woman injured as a result of the miscarriage. That is fundamental to the passage.

Again.. JMO
In my opinion, I see the total opposite of what you're saying.

"If men who are fighting hit a pregnant woman and she gives birth prematurely [e] but there is no serious injury, the offender must be fined"

I read, If a woman is hit, and she gives birth prematurely, and everything is fine, the offender is fined.

"But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, 24 eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25 burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise."

If there is serious injury, the offender must pay for whatever the injury is. If the woman loses the baby (miscarriage) you take life for life.

So, this verse is actually telling you that if you end up aborting a baby from your actions, you must pay with your life.

Pretty clear to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
We discussed this before in my house. I would NOT force my 13 year old daughter to give birth to a baby that was the product of a rape. Just as I would not give birth to a baby that way either. Luckily there is the morning after pill now. Take it after the rape and you'll never know if you were pregnant or not.
The morning after pill doesn't do a thing if you are already pregnant. It just stops you from getting pregnant. I have two daughters. If either was raped, they'd be taking that pill ASAP.

Quote:
unborn, meaning they aren't alive.
Obviously you aren't a woman. Just because a baby is not born yet does not mean they are not alive. I have never heard anyone claim a baby still in the womb is not alive.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:13 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,356,452 times
We just found out Friday night that my Aunt Linda's (by marriage) niece found out she has stage 4 cancer. She is also 18 weeks pregnant. They want her to abort. They say chemo will kill the baby anyway.

She's stage 4, she's going to die soon anyway. Chemo will kill the baby anyway. So why should she take it upon herself to kill it? Then she'll live with that for the rest of her days. She's already seen an ultrasound and knows it's a boy. Obviously she's heartbroken. I don't know yet what she'll decide to do.

I hope I would have enough faith in God to let Him take care of the both of us. I would probably opt out of chemo, and let nature take its course, hoping I may live long enough to give birth to the baby.

Very sad. Please pray for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity