Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 01:19 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I don't see anything relevant in your description to the parable. There is no symbolism regarding people being kicked out by the bridegroom.

The whole point of the parable is to keep watch because we don't know the day or time of this occurrence.

What is the significance of the oil in the parable?
I thought you were inquiring about this:

Matt. 13:47-50 - Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a dragnet cast into the sea, and gathering fish of every kind; and when it was filled, they drew it up on the beach; and they sat down and gathered the good fish into containers, but the bad they threw away. "So it will be at the end of the age; the angels will come forth and take out the wicked from among the righteous, and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 01:25 PM

33,233 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
I didn't say anything about universalism. I did quote scripture though. I did it in logical order with only scriptural references. Did you read universalism into it from reading the scriptures?

I believe you may in-fact believe the Gospel and be converted. Praise God!
Are you or are you not a universalist? If you believe that all men are going to be saved, then you are a universalist and you are perverting the Scriptures. Or do you realize that you must believe in Christ before you die? Which is it?

Old 11-20-2009, 01:29 PM

63,816 posts, read 40,099,995 times
The issue in Universalism is NOT that there won't be consequences for dying in our sins. The issue is what those consequences will be and whether there will any point to them . . . i.e., will they achieve anything or just be some evil vindictive torture forever to sate an evil vengeful God. It is the evil vengeful God that Universalists reject and that the so-called "elect" seem to love.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 11-20-2009 at 02:53 PM..

Old 11-20-2009, 02:01 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,938,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Are you or are you not a universalist? If you believe that all men are going to be saved, then you are a universalist and you are perverting the Scriptures. Or do you realize that you must believe in Christ before you die? Which is it?
To be honest, I go by what the scripture says. If it says it is God's will for all to be saved and to come to a full knowledge of the truth, who am I to disagree with it. Will not the God of all the earth do what is right? It is God's creation, not ours.

I don't have a time clock or a calendar that says when every human being will be saved, but the scriptures testify that it will happen for all. Some are regenerated by the Spirit and come to faith early in life, some later, and perhaps the rest not until the very moment of death. Do we need to witness the salvation of others for their salvation to be so?

Some say possibly after death. But why even say this? It may happen for all here on earth without our knowledge of it. I don't think scripture tells us when it has to happen for each and every person. But why should we not believe it will happen, when the scriptures declare it will? Jesus said to proclaim the Good News (Gospel) to all creation. Why proclaim good news if the news is not good or applicable to all? And if it is good news and applicable to all, then it must be true for all. And if it is true for all, than all will be saved through it, to be testified in it's own time (1 Tim 2:6). What we do know is that now is the acceptable time for salvation and to believe the Gospel:

2Co 6:2 For He says, "In an acceptable time I heard you, and in a day of salvation I helped you." Behold, now is the acceptable time! Behold, now is the day of salvation!

The issue of John 8:24 was discussed in a previous post, and is not really a factor when it comes to God's will and what He desires to be accomplished. Jesus did not say they will die in their sins, but rather "if" they do not believe, they will die in their sins. The word "if" is the qualifier and makes the statement conditional and dependent on one's ability or willingness to believe, not on Gods ability to save. But we know that with God all things are possible. Jesus also taught that we will not believe unless our minds are regenerated by the Spirit.

I'm curious though, what part of God's will and ability to save troubles you?

Last edited by AlabamaStorm; 11-20-2009 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: added ref

Old 11-20-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
To be honest, I go by what the scripture says. If it says it is God's will for all to be saved and to come to a full knowledge of the truth, who am I to disagree with it. Will not the God of all the earth do what is right? It is God's creation, not ours.
You say you go by what the scriptures say. Why then would you ignore the abundant scripture that makes it clear that there are those who will choose not to believe. I have already given some of those verses.

It is God's desire that all men be saved. He wants all men to be saved. But they must make the decision to be saved, by accepting God's offer of salvation. And that is exactly what it is. An offer that anyone is free to reject.

Go here 1 Timothy 2:4 who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. and compare the verses. Then read the commentary.

Then go to this link concerning the meaning of God's desire-thelei.

Understanding 1 Timothy 2:4

Quote:
I don't have a time clock or a calendar that says when every human being will be saved, but the scriptures testify that it will happen for all. Some are regenerated by the Spirit and come to faith early in life, some later, and perhaps the rest not until the very moment of death. Do we need to witness the salvation of others for their salvation to be so?

Some say possibly after death. But why even say this? It may happen for all here on earth without our knowledge of it. I don't think scripture tells us when it has to happen for each and every person. But why should we not believe it will happen, when the scriptures declare it will? Jesus said to proclaim the Good News (Gospel) to all creation. Why proclaim good news if the news is not good or applicable to all? And if it is good news and applicable to all, then it must be true for all. And if it is true for all, than all will be saved through it, to be testified in it's own time (1 Tim 2:6).

The issue of John 8:24 was discussed in a previous post, and is not really a factor when it comes to God's will and what He desires to be accomplished. Jesus did not say they will die in their sins, but rather ''if" they do not believe, they will die in their sins
And What does that tell you? It is God's desire that man make the decision to come to God of his own free will. God gives man the choice.

Quote:
The word "if" is the qualifier and makes the statement conditional and dependent on one's ability or willingness to believe, not on Gods ability to save. But we know that with God all things are possible. Jesus also taught that we will not believe unless our minds are regenerated by the Spirit.

I'm curious though, what part of God's will and ability to save troubles you?
Refer back to the above. It is to your advantage to come to an understanding of what the scriptures actually say concerning salvation, and eternal condemnation. Whether you do or not depends on whether you care to come to that understanding. The choice is yours.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:47 PM

342 posts, read 540,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I thought you were inquiring about this:

Matt. 13:47-50 - Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a dragnet cast into the sea, and gathering fish of every kind; and when it was filled, they drew it up on the beach; and they sat down and gathered the good fish into containers, but the bad they threw away. "So it will be at the end of the age; the angels will come forth and take out the wicked from among the righteous, and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Repent of sin.....accept Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord......There are eternal consequences for sins not covered by the Blood of Christ......God has provided for our Salvation by sending His son to atone for the Sins of Man.......It is the power of God to save all who "believe".....All who deny the Son will be denied before the Father at the Judgement.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:49 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,938,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Then read the commentary
Your commentary is not the Gospel . And yes, being saved could possibly be interpreted in that way. And others would have their own bent on it. But what you may have forgot was the second phrase of the verse:

1Ti 2:4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to a full knowledge of truth.

The problem with relying on commentaries (and yes most of us do read them), is that if they are wrong, we become twice the son of hell as the one who wrote it:

Mat 23:15 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you go about the sea and the dry land to make one proselyte; and when he has become so, you make him twofold more a son of Hell than yourselves.

We can battle this all day long. And quite frankly I'm out of gas...LOL I've been privileged to have had this much time (although being an Architect in this economy is more likely a curse...LOL) to discuss it with you. But remember, the Lord is good and today is the day of His salvation:

2Co 6:2 For He says, "In an acceptable time I heard you, and in a day of salvation I helped you." Behold, now is the acceptable time! Behold, now is the day of salvation!

Believe the Gospel today. I'm done....LOL

Old 11-20-2009, 04:14 PM

63,816 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Your commentary is not the Gospel . And yes, being saved could possibly be interpreted in that way. And others would have their own bent on it. But what you may have forgot was the second phrase of the verse:

1Ti 2:4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to a full knowledge of truth.

The problem with relying on commentaries (and yes most of us do read them), is that if they are wrong, we become twice the son of hell as the one who wrote it:

Mat 23:15 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you go about the sea and the dry land to make one proselyte; and when he has become so, you make him twofold more a son of Hell than yourselves.
You hit the proverbial nail right on the head with this one Alabama . . . Mike and Marks are perfect examples of the "twice the sons of hell" as their teachers . . . relying as they do on the "precepts and doctrines of men." I am afraid it will be woe to the "Scribes and Pharisees" from whom they learned these doctrines . . . and double woe to them.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:

We can battle this all day long. And quite frankly I'm out of gas...LOL I've been privileged to have had this much time (although being an Architect in this economy is more likely a curse...LOL) to discuss it with you. But remember, the Lord is good and today is the day of His salvation:

Believe the Gospel today. I'm done....LOL
The commentary was for your benefit. If you can't get it through your head that God places the responsiblity on man to make the choice to believe in Christ, then you are just another confused and deceived universalist. You've been given the facts. But you can't understand even the most clearly stated passages that shout out that eternal condemnation is in store for the unbeliever.

Universalism is a cult and is promoted by Satan to confuse the issue of salvation. If that is what you are drawn to, then that is where you will go.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:48 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Umm, Mike, the concept of Universalism can't be a cult.

some Universalists just like any person of other beliefs such as your own, can be cultists.

You, my pungent little friend, are a sectarian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity