Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 03:26 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,762,455 times

Advertisements

This is a question i hear and or see put forward by Fundamentalist Christians all the time ... It seems to me that the question itself is something of an oxymoron. What they are really saying is ...

"what must we do to save ourselves?"

This is the crux of the deception at the heart of the gospel of works ... The truth is many Christians do not believe they are saved by Christ and his work on the cross at all, but that they save themselves. They are boasting of what they have done which has earned them salvation. They believe their works merit them salvation, and that they are in a position of judging others by their own standards of righteousness which they believe they themselves have accomplished. Whether it be that they believe their faith and choosing to "receive" salvation is a power derived from their carnal nature, before which their regeneration was not possible, or whether they go further still and say it is not only a choice made by them while they were yet degenerate but also the good works they accomplish during their lives up and until the point of their death. In fact these men and women do not have faith in the saving Grace of God, but in their own reasoning and efforts to satisfy what they believe to be the necessary bureaucracy of salvation.

Do you believe Christ is your savior? Or do you believe you are saving yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 03:29 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,945,679 times
Ephesians 2
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:31 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
This is a question i hear and or see put forward by Fundamentalist Christians all the time ... It seems to me that the question itself is something of an oxymoron. What they are really saying is ...

"what must we do to save ourselves?"

This is the crux of the deception at the heart of the gospel of works ... The truth is many Christians do not believe they are saved by Christ and his work on the cross at all, but that they save themselves. They are boasting of what..............
Actually that statement is an oxymoron, if you believe you can earn your way into heaven or save yourself then you can't be a Christian.

None of what you said, is true. I don't want to accuse you of lieing but if you are going to represent our side be accurate but then I guess put your trust in Him, surrender to Him, receive Him as Lord and personal saviour, repent, have a relationship with Him and believe on Him.

Those are not a works that earns salvation, those unto salvation results in works.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 12-09-2009 at 03:48 PM..

2,529 posts, read 4,352,080 times
I don't know anyone who thinks they are saving themselves, but I do believe this is a legitimate question.

Acts 16...
25And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them. 26And suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken: and immediately all the doors were opened, and every one's bands were loosed.
27And the keeper of the prison awaking out of his sleep, and seeing the prison doors open, he drew out his sword, and would have killed himself, supposing that the prisoners had been fled.
28But Paul cried with a loud voice, saying, Do thyself no harm: for we are all here.
29Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas,
30And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
31And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
32And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.
33And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway.
34And when he had brought them into his house, he set meat before them, and rejoiced, believing in God with all his house.

4,883 posts, read 6,213,026 times
We do absolutely nothing....god does it all!!!

Old 12-09-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
We do absolutely nothing....god does it all!!!
I agree God alone does the saving but I am curious when Jesus called Lazarus to come fourth (My sheep hear my voice). Lazarus stayed in the tomb or did he do something?

Old 12-09-2009, 03:50 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,436,320 times
What about profession of faith?

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

The seed is planted, man repents and God quickens and regenerates them.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:53 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I agree God alone does the saving but I am curious when Jesus called Lazarus to come fourth (My sheep hear my voice). Lazarus stayed in the tomb or did he do something?
Did Lazarus have a choice?

Sovereignty, I tell thee!!

Old 12-09-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Did Lazarus have a choice?

Sovereignty, I tell thee!!
Didn't ask that....what did Lazarus do when Jesus called Him?

Old 12-09-2009, 03:56 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Didn't ask that....what did Lazarus do when Jesus called Him?
And I repeat - he did as He was told, for a dead man can do nothing of himself. That's a spiritual message for those who have an ear...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity