Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 04:48 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,275,819 times

Advertisements

Maybe this is Part 2 to my thread the other day about Christian activism. I guess it's just some things I'm thinking about in this season. Our pastor now is preaching about evangelism. So that, coupled with some of the things that have been expressed here on CD forum, are causing me to think about it right now. In your personal life...how do you feel you go about sharing your faith...or do you? I think a lot of us, myself included, feel guilty when the subject is brought up because we feel we should be doing more. But ... as many non believers have expressed on this forum, often they don' t want to be approached with the gospel. So we fear offending people. What do some of you guys think? How do you approach this on a personal basis in your own life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 04:51 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,672,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Maybe this is Part 2 to my thread the other day about Christian activism. I guess it's just some things I'm thinking about in this season. Our pastor now is preaching about evangelism. So that, coupled with some of the things that have been expressed here on CD forum, are causing me to think about it right now. In your personal life...how do you feel you go about sharing your faith...or do you? I think a lot of us, myself included, feel guilty when the subject is brought up because we feel we should be doing more. But ... as many non believers have expressed on this forum, often they don' t want to be approached with the gospel. So we fear offending people. What do some of you guys think? How do you approach this on a personal basis in your own life?
Follow the advice attributed to St. Francis.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:21 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,117,746 times
I just finished a 12-week Bible class about evangelism which I found very interesting. The main point throughout the class was to allow the Holy Spirit to work within us and to make sure we pray for opportunities to witness.

Another point well taken was to make sure that we witness in the spirit of love towards others. You're right....many people will not want to listen but oftentimes we miss opportunities because we are so busy. It suggests that we first witness to family and then extend our realm to include friends.

Another idea was to witness during times of difficulty when people are at a low point in life. Sometimes, an offer of prayer during these times help people to understand that God truly does care even in the dark times of our life.

Using one's gifts/abilities to reach out is a good way to spread the Gospel. Some folks are better at verbal one-on-one witnessing than others but using gifts/abilities and looking for opportunities can be accomplished this way too.

In short, let the Holy Spirit guide you and He will show you what you can do to further the Kingdom. God bless.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:50 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,623,586 times
Hmm, how about "live it, don't preach it". In other words, if a Christian is living a strong, loving Christian life, then who you believe in, would be seen. And, if a person is curious/interested, they will come to you, and ask. That is the open invitation to then share the "Good News". No one wants to feel as though they are being accosted. As I recall, Jesus did not beat down doors, yell, scream, wave a "scroll" around, leave tracts in bathrooms and at "camel" stops, walk up to perfect strangers and start wittnessing, (asking if they know "him", or have accepted "him"), harrangue family and friends to go to Temple...you get my drift. Because of his life, because of his words, people came to him. And, two thousand years later, atheists notwithstanding, (sorry y'all), Jesus is still pretty popular. Some of his followers, on the other hand, are not.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:54 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,098,001 times
I think maybe this is why I believe basically the same way as Desdamona put it --as attributed to St. Francis of Assisi:

It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching.
St. Francis of Assisi

Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words.
St. Francis of Assisi

IMHO, the most important part of knowing when to witness/evangelize is discerning the urging of the Holy Spirit. If we listen appropriately, God will have already prepared the other person's heart. Otherwise, we're likely to get a reaction as described by stretch.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:56 PM

548 posts, read 2,648,656 times
I think it's all in the perspective. You think that you are helping and want to do someone the kindness of spreading "his" word. I, on the other hand, think it's entirely inappropriate to try to move someone away from their own, equally valid, beliefs. Trying to convert others is one of the things I am VERY stronly opposed to. I agree with the poster above--let people who are interested come to you.

I think where I got really upset about this, was when in Senegal. There was a missionary church/medical center there, but only Catholics rec'd the free medical care, so people would convert b/c otherwise their child who was dying, for example, would not get medical help (many could not afford to pay for medical care). I went to the church on Easter one year, actually thinking it would be really fun, but I was so wrong. The nuns there (white) were looking around at the Senegalese like they were children. If someone spoke, even quietly, they'd walk over and say "sshhh...." to them--like they were 6 years old!

There is a wonderful history of animism and Islam in the group of people who were "freely" converting to Christianity. The whole thing was appalling to me.

So, although this is not Senegal, I still think it's just really inappropriate to think that you are bringing something "missing" to anyone. It's your belief, I respect that, as long as you aren't bothering me with it...kind of lke most Christians probably wouldn't want me to walk around trying to get them to understand how there is no God, and explain how they've really been missing out on so much by getting it all wrong.

Believe what you will, welcome new members who walk into your church, but don't go about bothering others (b/c from the perspective of someone who doesn't see it as "saving", it is bothering)

Old 05-21-2007, 07:02 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times
It shouldn't be. That dictate was made when there weren't any Christians. There are a few now. I think you're covered.

Some NT directives are now taken to mean that they only applied at the time. This seems to be a pick-and-choose kind of thing. For instance, Jesus told people to give up all their worldy posessions to follow him. But I don't see too many Christians living a monk's life today. I mean you're all sitting here typing on the internet. This doesn't exactly scream asceticism and a lack of love for worldly things. Yet that was a direct command from Jesus. THAT one is now ignored. The OTHER one, about running around spreading the word, is the one people choose to keep on doing. And doing.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:24 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,397,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Hmm, how about "live it, don't preach it". In other words, if a Christian is living a strong, loving Christian life, then who you believe in, would be seen. And, if a person is curious/interested, they will come to you, and ask. That is the open invitation to then share the "Good News". No one wants to feel as though they are being accosted. As I recall, Jesus did not beat down doors, yell, scream, wave a "scroll" around, leave tracts in bathrooms and at "camel" stops, walk up to perfect strangers and start wittnessing, (asking if they know "him", or have accepted "him"), harrangue family and friends to go to Temple...you get my drift. Because of his life, because of his words, people came to him. And, two thousand years later, atheists notwithstanding, (sorry y'all), Jesus is still pretty popular. Some of his followers, on the other hand, are not.
This is very good advise, if people can't tell I'm a Christian by how I talk and act then nothing I say is worth saying. Of course on here we can't see how each of us interacts on a daily basis, we just have our words. So I think they need to be chosen wisely, everything should be said in love and with respect for others feelings and beliefs, even when they differ from ours.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:07 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times
It seems like some people here are at least coming from a good place in their evangelizing.

That said, it should be noted that evangelizing is also done on a large scale in this country even if not done individual-to-individual. For example, a child of three is well aware of the crucial importance of Christmas based on the fact that his mother starts shopping for it in October and bursts into tears when her house isn't chosen this year for the celebration. And by the carols on the radio. And the shows on TV. And books. And by the continuous "Christmas crafts" his preschool teacher gives them from Thanksgiving until January. And the school "holiday" recital, which is no longer called the Christmas recital because on the 15-song playlist, Dreidl Dreidl Dreidl is thrown in.

Same with Easter on a smaller shopping scale. Then throughout the year Christian commentary continues to run past every Western individual's life in every possible way, from friends to the media.

My son goes to occupational therapy (he's on the autistic spectrum) once a week at a certain clinic. This is not a denominational clinic or anything. It's just, well...a clinic. Actually, it's run by the county. Anyway, in the waiting room there are a bunch of magazines, and exactly two children's books.

One book is about Cheerios. You're supposed to put actual Cheerios onto the pictures of Cheerios in the book.

The other is called "Jonah and the Big Fish".

Those are the choices.

I never remember to bring any Cheerios so Evan (the baby) and I always default to the Jonah book, which is pretty funny for those of you who know me well. But again, that's it, those are the choices.

The last line in the Jonah book reads, "Jonah never tried to disobey God again!"

I'll know we've arrived when a Wicca children's book shows up at the clinic. "...and then the Sad Little Pentacle was happy, and swung merrily from the little boy's neck from that day on."

I really don't know that it's quite as imperative today to evangelize as it was in the first couple of centuries after Christ. It's out there, people. Trust me. It's out there. Every day, day in and day out...nobody could possibly miss it. Trust me, people have already heard "the word" and if we're not listening, well, we've made our choice.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:25 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,794,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I lead by example and wait for openings. Like with coworkers.. I don't do all the swearing and gossiping and temper tantrums. I remain even-keeled, peace through all through Him. That usually gets either 1) I'm picked on for being different or 2) for the really intrigued, they ask me why I behave the way I do. That's when I begin to share. I don't beat them over the head with it or give it to them full force, but I give what I feel guided by the Holy Spirit to share. If they're really interested, they'll come back for more and I'll provide more as time goes on.

I too am sheepish about just going up to people and starting right in. My approach may take longer, but it has proven results (2 saved by God through me) that glorify Him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity