Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 09:18 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times

Advertisements

I said that an eternal torture chamber is SHAMEFUL, to which you replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
Sorry you feel that way sparrow....

Yet another house of straw being blown down...right before the seeker's eyes. by the winds of this hypocrisy.

God is love. LOVE. But He has created an eternal torture chamber in which to throw you in. That is the very definition of hypocrisy.

Did we not learn anything by Jesus laying his life down for us while we were ALL yet still in our sins? Did we not learn anything from "Father, forgive them they know not what they do.." AS he was in the process of being crucified?

God is not the author of confusion. When HE says LOVE, he doesn't actually mean "evil". An eternal torture chamber is of course, the epitome of evil.

Still waiting for an answer to my original question....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 09:29 PM

Latte Chic... Let's say eternal torment were true.
Let's say that I was sent there.
and you knew that I was being tortured forever and ever and there would never EVER, EVER be any hope of me EVER being free from this. I would be boxed in forever, just suffering and sufferng and suffering...

How would you feel about that?

EDIT: Latte... please see my post below. I don't want you to answer this on the board. From one sister to another, I just ask that you do me a favor and think about it. That's all I ask. No harm in that, eh? I don't want to debate you anymore. I don't like it. I don't like all of this back and forth, back and forth. It feels ugly to me... and it is not giving God any glory. It just feels... gross. Doesn't it? So can you just think about my question? peace.

Last edited by .sparrow.; 01-27-2010 at 09:50 PM..

Old 01-27-2010, 09:46 PM

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8Love never fails

The first one. LOVE IS PATIENT.

I will admit to you all that tonight I feel a lack in this area in my heart. Father, forgive me, your daughter sparrow for having impatience tonight. I love all of my brothers and sisters even those I am temporarily disagreeing with, of course. One day we will ALL KNOW the truth. In your timing. I have no right to be so impatient. Your timing. Not mine.

you ARE Love.
You ARE all of those things in the highest sense.
and YOU NEVER FAIL.
NEVER.

peace.

Latte...I will just have to say to you that we will just have to agree to disagree and leave it at that. I don't like the feeling of impatience that is rising up in my heart. It's not your fault. It's me. Peace to you...

Old 01-27-2010, 10:23 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
Sparrow,
Thank you for your witness of love and good news on this forum.
And humanness!

Old 01-27-2010, 10:35 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting;
29 being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers,
30 backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
31 undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful;
32 who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them.
Hmmm - this is just like genesis 3. The consequences of living in spiritual darkness and stupidity. It kills you.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
love gets scared. few live by christ unto death, peter ran like a coward after he walked on water. what do you expect of you and me?

Old 01-28-2010, 12:17 AM

823 posts, read 1,401,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Latte Chic... Let's say eternal torment were true.
Let's say that I was sent there.
and you knew that I was being tortured forever and ever and there would never EVER, EVER be any hope of me EVER being free from this. I would be boxed in forever, just suffering and sufferng and suffering...

How would you feel about that?

EDIT: Latte... please see my post below. I don't want you to answer this on the board. From one sister to another, I just ask that you do me a favor and think about it. That's all I ask. No harm in that, eh? I don't want to debate you anymore. I don't like it. I don't like all of this back and forth, back and forth. It feels ugly to me... and it is not giving God any glory. It just feels... gross. Doesn't it? So can you just think about my question? peace.
That is EXACTLY how I feel in debate....it feels UGLY and I got caught up in it when I first joined CD not long ago....and made a soulful decision to balance things out. I am truly amazed that so many on here do this day in and day out..... this will not draw us closer to God. Its war on the internet!

Day by day, step by step, God's Kingdom is built with Love.
Sometimes, when good changes have come about within the souls of God's children who have been praying over a long, or what seems to be a long, period of time, they haven't experienced the good results of these prayers because they tend to act in the same old, defensive ways instead of trying to activate their love.
With continuous prayer and true seeking of God’s Love - new patterns of response are developed, one will find that they have new strengths and new insights that will allow one to respond in new and loving ways to old situations which in the past resulted in negative responses. I too am guilty of getting caught up in the negative and have been praying on this.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:15 AM

702 posts, read 961,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
I have planted seeds that all started with a wink, a smile and a wave.... have you? A lot of people are not open enough to take in the Word from the get go. It all starts with baby steps.
This is the fundamental problem with much of Christendom today: They feel that God is not powerful enough to change a person using his word alone but that he needs us to make a person open to the gospel. That is something beyond our power to accomplish, since the unbeliever is dead in his trespasses and sins, and his mind, set on the flesh, cannot submit to God's law.

We need to stop trying to do the Holy Spirit's job and do ours: Proclaim the gospel.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:00 AM

823 posts, read 1,401,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremy View Post
This is the fundamental problem with much of Christendom today: They feel that God is not powerful enough to change a person using his word alone but that he needs us to make a person open to the gospel. That is something beyond our power to accomplish, since the unbeliever is dead in his trespasses and sins, and his mind, set on the flesh, cannot submit to God's law.

We need to stop trying to do the Holy Spirit's job and do ours: Proclaim the gospel.
A lot of times we proclaim the gospel by our actions not our words.... this is a true way of seeing if someone is truly not just reading but living by the Word. Many people read it.....argue it....preach it....but they do not live by it. I have drawn people in my life as they see I am a child of God by my actions....this then provides me to establish a relationship where I can show them the truth.

Last edited by SisterKat; 01-28-2010 at 09:12 AM..

Old 01-28-2010, 09:34 AM

702 posts, read 961,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
A lot of times we proclaim the gospel by our actions not our words....
How can that be? The gospel is a verbal message with specific content, such as the birth, death and resurrection of Christ, the doctrine of sin, the exhortations to believe and to repent. This specific content cannot be communicated by our actions. If our actions did communicate the gospel, then what about the actions of Muslims, Hindus, and those of other religions? Would they, too, communicate the gospel of salvation through Christ alone?

Quote:
this is a true way of seeing if someone is truly not just reading but living by the Word. Many people read it.....argue it....preach it....but they do not live by it. I have drawn people in my life as they see I am a child of God by my actions....this then provides me to establish a relationship where I can show them the truth.
So, then, the life you live can lead to a relationship that itself, in turn, creates the opportunity to present the gospel. That, though, is a whole different matter from proclaiming the gospel by our actions. Wouldn't you agree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity