Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 05:35 PM

231 posts, read 401,969 times

Advertisements

I'm raised Catholic, Italian American. I am disenchanted with the Catholic Church because of the fact that the pope isn't really respectable. He is coming off as desperate to try to seem relevant by being the "cool liberal" pope. I am drawn more toward religion lately and actually went to a non denominational evangelical Protestant church and I actually really liked it. Maybe it's the catholic in me but for some reason it didn't feel complete without the Eucharist and the "ceremony" I am used too. Which makes it feel more like church and gets you in the "zone" so to speak and makes you feel less like yore just going to see an inspirational speaker. However it seems that the churches that are Protestant but liturgical/Eucharist are really liberal denominations like Episcopalians who seem very permissive to me and don't really stand for anything but just look like they are trying to be relevant. I guess I could get used too the more new agey type of evangelical service but I was just wondering if there are any conservative Protestant denominations that still have set hymns/liturgy and do the Eucharist. Maybe the Lutherans? I am really kind of shopping around and seeing what's best for me because I am searching for something deeper I guess.

If you could tell me about anything I am describing or maybe link me to an actual church that would be wonderful and I would be very thankful. I'm 20 and live in NYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 05:37 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,213,961 times
This Pope give me Hope..is it possible to commute to Liberty Virginia? If you change your mind on those Episcopalians or want to consider the United Church of Christ let me know.

Here is a great magnet from the UCC...

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 10-15-2017 at 09:52 AM..

Old 04-13-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
This Pope give me Hope..is it possible to commute to Liberty Virginia? If you change your mind on those Episcopalians or want to consider the United Church of Christ let me know.

Here is a great magnet from the UCC...
I don't mean to offend but the biggest turn off for me is that on certain issues these denominations feel like they are trying to stay current instead if following the bible. Example, on a secular/civil level I support gay unions but I don't understand how a church can condone gay living and gay marriage and simultaneously say they believe the bible. The original is usually right I don't want to be part of a church that diverges from hoe the religion was practiced 2000 years ago..it seems desperate and makes it seem like being the cool inclusive church is more important to them than Jesus christ.

Also I don't see what that sticker has to do with Jesus.."embrace diversity"? As in dinverse interpretations of religion? Only one can be right...it seems like more of a social justice warrior movement than a Christian church.

I feel like you're being deliberately facetious because you told me to commute from Staten Island to Virginia

Old 04-13-2015, 08:37 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,331,756 times
you might try looking up a parish belonging to the "society of st. pious x" which is very conservative liturgically and in dogma--it does NOT recognize the liturgical practices of the second vatican council and it's masses follow the traditional "tridentine" norms.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 04-13-2015 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: more info.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
you might try looking up a parish belonging to the "society of st. pious x" which is very conservative liturgically and in dogma--it does NOT recognize the liturgical practices of the second vatican council and it's masses follow the traditional "tridentine" norms.
SSPX? Aren't they sedevacantists?

Old 04-13-2015, 09:21 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,489,469 times
The two that come to mind that are Lutheran denominations that are conservative liturgical :

Old 04-13-2015, 09:35 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,331,756 times
yes, they might be regarded as such. however, if you are willing to look at protestant churches (that by definition disagree with some or many points of Catholic doctrine and practice) as potential places for worship then a "sedevacantist" group teaching traditional Catholic doctrine and liturgy should not be a terrific obstacle I would think???

OTOH, some of the "continuing (or traditional) Anglican" churches NOT affiliated with the episcopal church(like the "Anglican catholic church" and others that may be found in a phone book or web search using the term )---especially those on the "anglo-catholic" end of the spectrum---might also be worth considering for traditional liturgy and doctrine. eastern orthodoxy might be another alternative (think there are some jurisdictions with English liturgies). hope this helps.

God bless you and help you find a good place to worship. please remember that the Pope is NOT the church and to the best of my knowledge he has not officially taught or supported material heresy and his heart really seems to be in the right place despite IMHO some easily misunderstood "off the cuff" comments to the media.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 04-13-2015 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: more info.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:56 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,098,410 times
If you're interested in the Orthodox church you could try the OCA (Orthodox Church in America) they use much more English than ROCOR for instance. Some of the Greek Orthodox churches are mostly English speaking.
Plenty of churches in NYC for you to visit.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:05 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,213,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslandJake1995 View Post
I don't mean to offend but the biggest turn off for me is that on certain issues these denominations feel like they are trying to stay current instead if following the bible. Example, on a secular/civil level I support gay unions but I don't understand how a church can condone gay living and gay marriage and simultaneously say they believe the bible. The original is usually right I don't want to be part of a church that diverges from hoe the religion was practiced 2000 years ago..it seems desperate and makes it seem like being the cool inclusive church is more important to them than Jesus christ.

Also I don't see what that sticker has to do with Jesus.."embrace diversity"? As in dinverse interpretations of religion? Only one can be right...it seems like more of a social justice warrior movement than a Christian church.

I feel like you're being deliberately facetious because you told me to commute from Staten Island to Virginia
You do not...Your opinion is always welcome.

If you learn the history of "religion", you will find the church has always support trendy ideas.

However, LOVE your neighbor has never really gone to the wayside, some just forgot to love when surrounded by the notion that there is ONLY ONE way to serve God. Too many of us see it as a dictatorship and have very little understanding of what it means to love pour neighbor, let alone who our neighbor is..

Why is diversity such a scary word? Many things are diverse, our diet, our thinking, our dreaming, our cars, why can'y diversity be embraced? Especially when it comes to our neighbors. Why can't we break bread with our Muslim neighbors? Our Jewish neighbors and even our Buddhist neighbors?

Our great commission is not to issue ultimatums to convert or bur in hell, our commission is to LOVE God as OURSELVES and LOVE our neighbors..on theses two simple commandments, we have allowed ourselves to be divided.

We must chose who we will serve, either God or scripture.

JESUS WAS INDEED A SOCIAL WARRIOR. He challenged the status quo and embraced diversity and broke bread with the lowest of sinners and made wine for them to celebrate!

REJOICE for God is good, if we let Him do His thing.

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 10-15-2017 at 09:52 AM..

Old 04-14-2015, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
yes, they might be regarded as such. however, if you are willing to look at protestant churches (that by definition disagree with some or many points of Catholic doctrine and practice) as potential places for worship then a "sedevacantist" group teaching traditional Catholic doctrine and liturgy should not be a terrific obstacle I would think???

OTOH, some of the "continuing (or traditional) Anglican" churches NOT affiliated with the episcopal church(like the "Anglican catholic church" and others that may be found in a phone book or web search using the term )---especially those on the "anglo-catholic" end of the spectrum---might also be worth considering for traditional liturgy and doctrine. eastern orthodoxy might be another alternative (think there are some jurisdictions with English liturgies). hope this helps.

God bless you and help you find a good place to worship. please remember that the Pope is NOT the church and to the best of my knowledge he has not officially taught or supported material heresy and his heart really seems to be in the right place despite IMHO some easily misunderstood "off the cuff" comments to the media.
I suppose you're right. Sedevacantist is just a scary word I guess for someone raised Catholic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity