Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 11:15 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Well remember, self esteem is sin. It's from the Devil.
Got a verse for that?
Quote:
My parents never could figure out why I had such a pessimistic outlook on life and no confidence in myself.
Nothing wrong with self-esteem, and self-confidence. It's when it turns into pride and self-centeredness that it causes problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 11:19 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:

My parents never could figure out why I had such a pessimistic outlook on life and no confidence in myself.

Perhaps because they couldn't see past their own poor self-image?

My father was/is a good man, but his religious beliefs did plenty of damage in that regard.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:04 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIJ95 View Post
I'm raised Catholic, Italian American. I am disenchanted with the Catholic Church because of the fact that the pope isn't really respectable. He is coming off as desperate to try to seem relevant by being the "cool liberal" pope. I am drawn more toward religion lately and actually went to a non denominational evangelical Protestant church and I actually really liked it. Maybe it's the catholic in me but for some reason it didn't feel complete without the Eucharist and the "ceremony" I am used too. Which makes it feel more like church and gets you in the "zone" so to speak and makes you feel less like yore just going to see an inspirational speaker. However it seems that the churches that are Protestant but liturgical/Eucharist are really liberal denominations like Episcopalians who seem very permissive to me and don't really stand for anything but just look like they are trying to be relevant. I guess I could get used too the more new agey type of evangelical service but I was just wondering if there are any conservative Protestant denominations that still have set hymns/liturgy and do the Eucharist. Maybe the Lutherans? I am really kind of shopping around and seeing what's best for me because I am searching for something deeper I guess.

If you could tell me about anything I am describing or maybe link me to an actual church that would be wonderful and I would be very thankful. I'm 20 and live in NYC
OP, I am kind of the opposite from you but I feel your pain.

I was raised and believe the doctrine of Southern Baptist but I really can't stand the whole praise worship, contemporary performance most have become. I would like just a good bible study with traditional hymns. Have gone to a nearby Episcopalian church and liked the services and the people and could deal with the liturgy, but as they did the ritual things I felt very uncomfortable.

Wish you well in your journey of faith. BTW Missouri Synod of Lutheran might work for you.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:36 PM

88,579 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:

You sure you weren't Dutch Reformed?

Old 04-16-2015, 05:26 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
but as they did the ritual things I felt very uncomfortable.

Some English speakers hate it when foreigners talk in their own language. Others cannot accept that people from other countries have different cultural values. Others are repulsed by foreign food.

It is a bear not to have an open mind and be non-accepting of others.

Rituals are formidable useful tools to get close to God. But rituals are foreign to you-----too bad.

Here are some rituals most people enjoy: Too bad you live in a vacuum with no rituals.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:20 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Check out the FSSP. The Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter. In communion with Rome but conservative with a Latin Mass. They may be close to your area. You can watch their Mass on youtube.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:33 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
SIJ95 The main reason we go to Church is to worship God. You really don't need to let the Pope bother you. The Church has the bible and all the doctrine has been set by God more than 2,000 years ago.

My husband left the RCC and joined a non-denominational church in the 70s He came back when we married and he now says he gets what the Church was teaching, he just did not get it or listen before. He was also disappointed in the church he went to since it seemed to be dependent on the pastor. If he was liked people stayed if not the church broke up and that happened a few times. Since the 60s and Vatican II there have been some bad teachings for the young people. That is why so many people are leaving. It's been watered down but I think the younger priests are now turning that around.

Go to Catholic Answers to see what other Catholics think about this Pope and other topics about the Church. The liberal media does like to misquote the Pope. You can go to the Vatican web site if you want to read his messages. He is from a Latin speaking country and sometimes things are lost in translation. This Pope, like all the others will never change doctrine, they can't change Christ's words. Some Protestant churches vote on what they like in the bible and if they don't like something they throw it out.

Also go to EWTN Global Catholic Television Network: Catholic TV, Catholic Radio, and Catholic News Listen to the radio, especially Catholic Answers program. They are also on youtube if you want to watch them and the various people they have on their programs. You just might change your mind about leaving. You will be wasting a lot of time trying to find another church when you can learn more about the church you already belong to.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:03 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,244,805 times
Finally we get a Pope that I like who makes so much sense and I suppose it is no surprise that some Catholics don't care for him. He's the best Pope I've ever known in my lifetime. I'm not Catholic, though. I guess he is just too kind and humble for the ultra religious zealots in the Catholic church.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:06 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,244,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
SIJ95 The main reason we go to Church is to worship God. You really don't need to let the Pope bother you. The Church has the bible and all the doctrine has been set by God more than 2,000 years ago.
Of course the church has the bible - they put the thing together. It was not around at the time of Christ though. No one needed a bible to come to him when he walked the earth. The bible is a great big fat idol.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:15 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You sure you weren't Dutch Reformed?
Conservative Lutherans also believe in Total Depravity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity