Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 05:58 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times

Advertisements

I sat in church today, frozen to my seat. At the end of the mass, the priest read out a note from the archbishop. A certain priest of the parish has received a sex abuse allegation from 30 years ago.

That's right, 30 years ago (Rip Van Winkle's been woken up by his lawyer)

I am unsure if it's a true allegation or a false one.

But, this might soon hit the news.

The catholic church needs to clean its act up ASAP or at least master the art of covering things up. This is just embarrassing

Preferably the former. I'm not a big fan of worst case scenarios.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 07:33 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
It's bad.

If you get a chance, rent a documentary entitled 'Deliver Us From Evil' from NetFlix...about the largest US scandal in pedophile preist history...in the Los Angeles disocese. Watch how Father Oliver O'Grady details the abuse he inflicted in sadistic tones and takes offense when the victims don't want to see his face to meet with him so he can releive his self-guilt and apologize. He talks about many of his victims...including a 9-month old child that he raped! Also watch as the Catholic Church moves him from parish-to-parish in a cover-up that starts with Cardinal Mahony and travels all the way up to The Vatican and Pope Benedict VXI. It's a truly shocking and eye-awakening documentary and one that stays with you past the end of the movie.

Deliver Us From Evil - Enter Site (http://deliverusfromevilthemovie.com/index_flash.php - broken link)

Believe me, this documentary will move you in ways that will make you uncomfortable...but in a way that one must be moved in order to grasp the level of evil in this thing.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:53 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,704 times
I wonder how many months or years have to go by before someone is no longer responsible for there actions?
There are still people who are hunting down nazis 65 plus years after there crimes.

And , no, I do not have the answer to that question..
Nor do I have the answer to how much blame should be put on one that stands by and watches the rape of a child and does nothing about it.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:06 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
I wonder how many months or years have to go by before someone is no longer responsible for there actions?
There are still people who are hunting down nazis 65 plus years after there crimes.

Nor do I have the answer to how much blame should be put on one that stands by and watches the rape of a child and does nothing about it.
Yea, what if the accused is now close to a hundred years old, blind and deaf, wheel chair bound?

Old 04-12-2010, 02:09 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
It's bad.

Deliver Us From Evil - Enter Site (http://deliverusfromevilthemovie.com/index_flash.php - broken link)

Believe me, this documentary will move you in ways that will make you uncomfortable...but in a way that one must be moved in order to grasp the level of evil in this thing.
I ordered the documentary on Amazon for about $5.00 but with shipping around $7.00. My local video store didn't have it and never heard of Deliver Us From Evil. Hope to get it soon.

The really sad thing is these bad priest and those who protect them are making it bad for all the great priests and nuns.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:26 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post

I have answers for both:

1. Years DON'T take away any responsibility.

2. The person who stands by and does nothing is just as responsible as the person committing the act.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:29 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Yea, what if the accused is now close to a hundred years old, blind and deaf, wheel chair bound?
Responsibility hasn't diminished, although the ability to prosecute may have.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:36 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I ordered the documentary on Amazon for about $5.00 but with shipping around $7.00. My local video store didn't have it and never heard of Deliver Us From Evil. Hope to get it soon.

The really sad thing is these bad priest and those who protect them are making it bad for all the great priests and nuns.
Yeah...people don't like to look at the true ugliness of the situation. And the Catholic Church (and most of it's followers) try to ignore it. I guess, most feel what they don't see, must never have happened (or continues to happen) in their own minds. IMO, one has to look at the ugliness to understand it's depth and destruction.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:45 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I have answers for both:

1. Years DON'T take away any responsibility.

2. The person who stands by and does nothing is just as responsible as the person committing the act.

"The person who stands by and does nothing is just as responsible as the person committing the act."

In that case God is guilty.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:44 PM

261 posts, read 1,272,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Yeah...people don't like to look at the true ugliness of the situation. And the Catholic Church (and most of it's followers) try to ignore it.
Appears that not everyone is trying to ignore the situation:

US Catholic Church Moving Faster on Abuse Cases - ABC News

"Denver's handling of the Thompson case is the latest example of American Catholic leaders shifting from secrecy to greater openness, an attitude church leaders elsewhere in the world have been slower to adopt."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity