Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 10:42 AM

4,485 posts, read 6,237,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I think Marion's might be an acquired taste, much like Skyline. It may take some time for people to acquire it.

I like Cassano's, but not Marion's. Go figure.
I heard from Daytonians I used to know that Cassano's used to be really good, but had changed over the years. When I had it, it sort of reminded me of frozen pizza on steroids.

I don't like Skyline or Goldstar but love a host of other chili parlors in Cincy. On another note, my wife made Cincinnati style chili last night and did a really good job of it. She looked up seasonings online and used all top quality ingredients. I think that made the biggest difference. Now that she has sort of a baseline on how to season the chili, then we will keep tweaking it to suit our tastes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 10:58 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,703,638 times
I was one of the ones stating emphatically that today's Cassano's is just another mini-chain pizza like Donato's, and that Cassano's of the early 70s and before was entirely different and much better and very unique.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:13 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
I know there are a lot of recipes out there for Cincinnati Chili. They may be fun to experiment with.

I have a daughter in Hawaii with her husband at the Pearl Harbor Naval Base even though he is in the Army. We sent her a large box of Skyline Canned Chili through the mail along with a couple of bags of Dorsels Pin Oats for her goetta. She made her first batch of goetta this last weekend. All of their new friends over there at Pearl are asking for a taste, so I am sure she will make up the 2nd batch before Christmas.

I talked to her this past weekend and she said Dad NOONE is getting my canned Skyline. I know it costs a fortune to ship (it really does) and that is my private reserve for my family.

So I said let me ship you some of the spice packets to make Cincinnati Chili. They are less weight and therefore cost less to ship. She actually suggested Cincinnati Recipe, produced by a company in Fairfield. I have used them several times and been satisfied. They have expanded into the canned chili, etc., but I would stick with the spice packets.

I really need to get to the store, purchase, and ship them. !0 packets of spices will make 20 quarts of Cincinnati Chili. 20 quarts is a whole lot. THey are aiming at a Super Bowl party. Invite your friends to participate in this Cincinnati delicacy. 20 quaerts will drown a lot of people, cheese coneys and all.

Us who live in Cincinnati just do not always recognize what we have unique in this country, and more than that those who eperience the unique experience.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
I was one of the ones stating emphatically that today's Cassano's is just another mini-chain pizza like Donato's, and that Cassano's of the early 70s and before was entirely different and much better and very unique.
When I renovated my house in Dayton, the guy I hired to do my mechanicals, swore by Cassano's as did his twenty something son. The father especially said it used to be better but was still damn good.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:50 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I think Marion's might be an acquired taste, much like Skyline. It may take some time for people to acquire it.

I like Cassano's, but not Marion's. Go figure.
The difference to me is Skyline has a taste. You may not like it, but there is a taste. My problem with Marion's was lack of taste, any taste.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:27 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
The difference to me is Skyline has a taste. You may not like it, but there is a taste. My problem with Marion's was lack of taste, any taste.
The thought of skyline chili disgust me Ah, almost forgot about that place. Even dirtier is Gold Star

Old 12-14-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
The thought of skyline chili disgust me Ah, almost forgot about that place. Even dirtier is Gold Star
I can't do Skyline or Goldstar. Cincinnati has a slew of mom and pop chili parlors that are excellent.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:46 PM

4 posts, read 4,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Us who live in Cincinnati just do not always recognize what we have unique in this country, and more than that those who eperience the unique experience.
If there is one thing we do well here in the 'Nati, it's food. I work in the wine business but I was a restaurant manager and hourly at every level of dining prior. I think there are a lot of us who get it. As a sports fan, I can tell you the folks traveling here know it too. The visiting announcers always talk about going to Skyline and how good it is. They often mention Graeter's and Aglamesis too. I was thinking about steakhouses the other day and how many we have now. 20 years ago the selection was not good, now take your pick. Ruth's Chris and Eddie Merlot's are great chain additions but if you don't a want a chain, how about Jag's or Carlo and Johnny. I can be enjoying a fantastic steak and drinking a big chewy cab with only a ten minute drive from my house. Maybe that's what Marion's developers didn't understand, there is a lot of great competition down here. They'll understand it soon enough...

Old 03-07-2015, 09:11 AM

1 posts, read 739 times
There is a little bar McCaully's Pub 6750 Fields Ertel Rd, Cincinnati, OH 45241.They have a great Pizza for a decent price. Easy relaxed Bar atmosphere. They have a lot of good food on the menu; we usually cannot go without ordering a Lg deluxe.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:29 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
I am dying for a decent pizza other than Deweys. I'm tired of them. Anything in the Hyde Park area would be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati