Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 05:47 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Blog | Ron

I got physically dizzy with desire when I saw the photo. Does it really look like that???
Yes, that and Ron's and Cassano's and Marion's. Marion's doesn't take a credit card, so be prepared for that. That stuff is a staple for my wife's family and I love it myself. I'd never thought of it as 'dayton' style but that is a fitting description as I've never had that style anywhere but. If at Marion's, be sure to get the sausage pizza. It satisfies like no other.

I believe Joe's pizza - another dayton style pizza joint - is the pizza place of choice for my Dayton in-laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 05:59 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Mio's was my favorite. But now you guys have me hungry for Cassano's. Hmph. There was always a big fight for the corner pieces amongst my friends and me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
If at Marion's, be sure to get the sausage pizza. It satisfies like no other.
Be sure to have a pitcher or two of water on the table as well. That stuff is salty!!

Old 10-20-2010, 06:20 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
It is interesting that what style of pizza people prefer determines where the go. For my part, I really dislike red pizza sauce. I could go into it but suffice it to say that I see it as a condiment on the pizza not a main, or the main, ingredient. It is all about the pizza dough to me. It must be really good bread, freshly made not partially risen then frozen. And a little red sauce for color. And it has to be well done so that there is a browned cast to the cheese on top. and easy on the toppings.

So my favorite pizza is a homemade crust pizza, very little red sauce, halapenos and sausage, well done. Shake some crushed red pepper on it and stand by with a lot of water.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:25 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Wilson... I understand your position but if I just want bread give me a good loaf of toasted garlic bread drowned in butter with some red pepper sprinkled on it. For pizza, I want something more substantial. As I expressed earlier, I just love anchovy pizza with plenty of browned cheese.

Over 35 years ago, an enterprising young man opened a wholesale pizza supply in Mason serving several of the local Cincinnati chains, when Mason was still hicksville. I lived in Madeira then. By word of mouth I heard he also had a retail outlet where he sold do-it-yourself pizza supplies in bulk. I was in 7th heaven, 1st class supplies at a good price. At that time we consumed a lot of pizza, since there is nothing like preparing your own the way you like it. So my vote for the best pizza in Cincinnati is the one you make yourself at home to your taste.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:28 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times
okay this is a nationwide chain. but the take and bake stuff at papa murphy is really good.

at the end of the day though, all we ever really eat is La Rosa's. I think the last ten pizzas we have ordered have been from there.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:37 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I really dislike red pizza sauce. I could go into it but suffice it to say that I see it as a condiment on the pizza not a main, or the main, ingredient.
No, no, no .... It's all about the sauce. I was horrified when I first moved to southern Ohio and tasted some of the local pizza -- very little sauce and tons of cheese, and the cheese wasn't mozzarella. *shudder*

Old 10-20-2010, 08:50 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
No, no, no .... It's all about the sauce. I was horrified when I first moved to southern Ohio and tasted some of the local pizza -- very little sauce and tons of cheese, and the cheese wasn't mozzarella. *shudder*
I'm sure we have all had bad pizza experiences. I think one of the worst pizzas I ever had was an ethnic place on Avenue of the Americas around the West Village, hardly a place you expect to be disappointed.

So why don't you say what you do like in a pizza? Thick tomato pasty sauce with lots of oregano and basil? Is that the thing? We all get that real cheese makes sense.

How about this, is this the style? He calls it NY Style but it is exactly not what I understand to be NY Style:

Jeff Varasano's NY Pizza Recipe

Old 10-20-2010, 10:01 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,702,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Blog | Ron

I got physically dizzy with desire when I saw the photo. Does it really look like that???
Yes. Without all that junk on it (we get two ingredients tops) the crust is even better.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:13 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,702,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It's about all of the ingredients in balance. Too much cheese is just gross. Too little is a "naked" pizza. And too many toppings sounds good to a lot of people, but it can make a potentially delectable and crispy crust too soft.

Personally, I like good red sauce, but I have seen many credible pizza recipes that have you use like a couple of tablespoons of marinara sauce smeared with the back of a spoon across the crust, before the toppings, and it's claimed that this is really all that you need.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:14 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,548,295 times
The pictures you linked to Wilson are what I understand to be East Coast (or NYstyle) pizza. Very thin, moderate toppings, char - preferably from a brick oven.

When I used to travel to CT, RI quite a bit for business there was a Chain (not a big chain) called Bertucci's. My husband and I can still remember how good their pizza was - and it looked very similar to the pictures you linked to..

Memories.

I've had Fratelli's here in town. Its pretty good, but a lot of times I've gotten it its been "too wet"..

I haven't found a good deep-dish (Chicago style) place yet.

But this is a great thread - give my husband and I some places to try!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati