Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 03:26 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolden View Post
You must not have looked at many lot sizes. Look in the "flats" of Hyde Park and you will see, like cookie cutter had made them, 50x150 on roads like Zumstein, Mooney, Burch.

Concerning your lot, you live in Mt Lookout. Unless there really are two Wilsons on this message board. The Wilson who previously posted showed a video of his drive to work and it started up near Alms park.

I live in Hyde Park and have a lot that is about 1/2 acre also but I do not think it is a typical lot size.

Mt. Lookout = Hyde Park, and I really live in Hyde PArk, but since Kilgour School is 400 feet from my house and it is in Mt. Lookout I say I live in Mt. Lookout and I am no where near Alms Park which is in Mt. Lookout, I see Ault Park out of my bedroom window.

And, since I have lived in Hyde Park for a long time, I know every square inch of it.

And, I grew up in the "flats" as my family home was 3547 Mooney Ave. between Erie and Madison.

So there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 04:44 PM

405 posts, read 891,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
And, since I have lived in Hyde Park for a long time, I know every square inch of it.

And, I grew up in the "flats" as my family home was 3547 Mooney Ave. between Erie and Madison.

So there!
Well then, you should know that 3547 Mooney is .17 acre, i.e. 50x150 feet!!!

Old 04-09-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Well then, you should know that 3547 Mooney is .17 acre, i.e. 50x150 feet!!!

Well then I do.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:29 PM

41,960 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I would think you could live anywhere you want, at that price.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:41 PM

405 posts, read 891,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I would think you could live anywhere you want, at that price.
Well, there are 152 houses on the market in Indian Hill, and only 32 of them are under 750,000.

Amazing but true. 750,000 ain't what it used to be.

Of course a lot of those houses have been sitting on the market for 2 years...

Old 04-09-2011, 07:02 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Quote:
Well, there are 152 houses on the market in Indian Hill, and only 32 of them are under 750,000.

Amazing but true. 750,000 ain't what it used to be.

Of course a lot of those houses have been sitting on the market for 2 years...
And many of those $750,000 or under houses are sitting on land valued at $400,000 or more so that house is not all that much.

Even little ole Madeira where my parents built their first house for $8,500 in the late 40s now has new construction listed at $900,000 if anyone is stupid enough to buy one. Many of these are teardowns of small homes on 1 acre lots which now have 8 homes on 50x150 lots with a driveway up the middle.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Really, My lot is 85x321. My neighbor is 130x321. I would doubt a third of the lots in HP are 50x150. I have 5 bedrooms 4 1/2 baths, inground pool, and in walking distance to teh Country Club and the Park and well under the budget.
Wilson... You have posted some pictures and have a very nice home. But let me guess, your 85x321 foot lot is on a hillside. How much of it can you actually stand upright on? Same goes for your neighbors 130x321. I have a 110x300 lot which is flat as a pancake. Not many trees since I have cut most of them down during the time I have lived here as many were apple and peach which are relatively short lived. My back yard looks like a swamp right now due to the recent rain.

My point is this. How many homes just like yours are currently for sale in the Hyde Park neighborhood and at what price?

I just did a search on the $400,000 to $750,000 range, came up with 27 and 2 of them were condos.

The first house I looked at, listed at $729,000 on Grandin Rd did have a decent lot 100x170. Age 58 years, 2-story brick. Nice looking house, But $13,400 annual taxes - Wow! Maybe OK for $700,000 but out of my league. Andstill in CPS, so if I have two kids I can pay $20,000 per year to send them to private school. Thanks but no thanks.

Again, my point is, all of your recommendations for people to locate in Hyde Park - just how many properties are available for them to purchase? From what I can see there is not enough property to go around.

I guarantee you come out in my neck of the woods, West Chester, Liberty Township, Mason and before we even get out to Mainville, South Lebanon, etc. and I will show you several hundreds.

If Hyde Park is the only area the City has got, then the City is in trouble. I know you city advocates talk about Oakley, but that was tinker-bell town 60 years ago when I was young. Now tell me about the large lots there, I doubt if they average 50x150.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Wilson... You have posted some pictures and have a very nice home. But let me guess, your 85x321 foot lot is on a hillside. How much of it can you actually stand upright on? Same goes for your neighbors 130x321. I have a 110x300 lot which is flat as a pancake. Not many trees since I have cut most of them down during the time I have lived here as many were apple and peach which are relatively short lived. My back yard looks like a swamp right now due to the recent rain.

My point is this. How many homes just like yours are currently for sale in the Hyde Park neighborhood and at what price?

I just did a search on the $400,000 to $750,000 range, came up with 27 and 2 of them were condos.

The first house I looked at, listed at $729,000 on Grandin Rd did have a decent lot 100x170. Age 58 years, 2-story brick. Nice looking house, But $13,400 annual taxes - Wow! Maybe OK for $700,000 but out of my league. Andstill in CPS, so if I have two kids I can pay $20,000 per year to send them to private school. Thanks but no thanks.

Again, my point is, all of your recommendations for people to locate in Hyde Park - just how many properties are available for them to purchase? From what I can see there is not enough property to go around.

I guarantee you come out in my neck of the woods, West Chester, Liberty Township, Mason and before we even get out to Mainville, South Lebanon, etc. and I will show you several hundreds.

If Hyde Park is the only area the City has got, then the City is in trouble. I know you city advocates talk about Oakley, but that was tinker-bell town 60 years ago when I was young. Now tell me about the large lots there, I doubt if they average 50x150.
All of my lot is useful. I could come out to Mason, but I have walked a lot of Mason already with my developer clients, and frankly, I have no interest in living on a cornfield. Landscaping requires interesting features. Terracing and slopes and shapes are all on has to work with to make a serioes of "rooms" which provide a different look as you move through the landscape. These are very expensive to create on a flat rectangular (or worse yet triangular) piece of what was and still should be a farm field.

On my lot, I have a flat grassy front yard, a quiet side yard with bird feeder, ivy and access to the sunroom, a back yeard with a walkout and parking pad, a 4000 square foot pool deck, a flat grassy terrace you can play horse shoes on, and a meadow with a trampoline (for sleeping) partially invisble from the house. And, I can stand on all of my lot and my neighbor can stand on all of his similar and larger lot.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:32 AM

Wilson... You are lucky to have such a nice and attractive location. But you failed to answer my question as to just how many similar properties are available on the market in Hyde Park?

Old 04-10-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Wilson... You are lucky to have such a nice and attractive location. But you failed to answer my question as to just how many similar properties are available on the market in Hyde Park?

There is a subdivision section of Hyde Park with very noce houses (the Mooney Ave. house I grew up in built by Myers Y. Cooper for his daughter, is a far superior house to where I live now). And that is one reason why people flock to the "flats". That area was actually a meadow. Those are fantastic houses, albeit on the .17 acre lots Wolden mentioned. The rest of Hyde Park is quite hilly and irregular. Many houses have hillside views and even river views.

I'm telling you, this is the place to be if the budget permits it. It really isn't a close call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati