Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:24 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about the common 'where to live' questions people moving to Cincinnati from either the suburbs or outside the region tend to have. I plotted some of the more-talked about neighborhoods as a quick overview. Disclaimer: there are a lot more to most of these neighborhoods than can be explained by this certainly error-rich, back-of-the-napkin plot. Also, my apologies if I forgot to include your neighborhood. This is fewer than half of all Cincy 'hoods.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 08:08 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
I love the idea, but then again I am an analytical chemist that interprets piles of data every day.

However, I do think that safety and affordability should be orthogonal variables rather than placed on the same axis. For example, I would say that Deer Park is both safer and more affordable than downtown. The problem with this is that you run out of dimensions in your plot very quickly.

Here's my plot. It's not perfect and the neighborhoods are arbitrary (most of them places I have lived or worked).
Click image for larger version

Name:	neighborhoods.JPG
Views:	1719
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	81161

It would be bonus points if you could make a topographical map superimposed over this where the contour lines are price/sq ft of houses... unfortunately I don't have time to even try.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:46 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,544,072 times
Hard to paint some neighborhoods with such a broad brush, Walnut Hills being an example. Some areas of Walnut Hills would put you to sleep in terms of safety concerns, yet you have it as far east almost as Avondale. Also, how does Gaslight score higher on nightlife than Oakley? I guess that's the weakness of a compass point plot, when you are trying to juxtapose things like safety and affordability on the same axis.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:12 AM

your plot is intriguing, chem guy - maybe i'm not getting it, but wouldn't this say that a perfectly safe neighborhood doesn't have nightlife or affordability?

regarding my first plot, you are right - the axes are certainly not perfect and in many cases creates false dichotomies. neighborhoods that have definite good areas and bad areas (walnut hills) get particularly slighted; and the deer park comment was on point - some places are more safe and more affordable than others.

other elements that are ignored - walkability, proximity to CBD, schools, and certainly many more.

ultimately, i am trying to think of a way to describe a wide swath of neighborhoods in a single graphic.

to some extent, i think it helps to limit the geographic reach - for example, in the city people pay a very high premium for real and perceived safety. this tapers off as you get farther from the CBD.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:33 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
Actually, that was my point... a safe neighborhood with nightlife like Mt. Adams, Hyde Park, or Mt. Lookout tends to be expensive.

In my field we have a saying, "Cheap, fast, or quality, pick two." I guess the projection of this onto housing is "Safe, exciting, or affordable, pick two." If a neighborhood is both safe and exciting, it will be in demand, pushing prices up. It might be more appropriate to use "convenient" instead of nightlife for an older demographic, but I think convenience and nightlife may go hand in hand for the young professional type crowd.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:38 AM

Ah ha. Very interesting. It seems like we could make a series of these sorts of plots and explain the whole universe of variables, sort of, kind of, with plenty of error! There are so many tradeoffs...i could see safety <---> vibrancy; schools <---> diversity; walkability <---> affordability; etc etc

Old 07-12-2011, 10:53 AM

41 posts, read 76,831 times
I like these plots. Are they based on real data, or intuition? If data, what is the source?

Old 07-12-2011, 11:17 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
I like anything graphical as an aid to decision making. These XY axis plots are most useful when there are four variables. A three dimensional version of this might be interesting too. Someone with some 3D modeling skill should give that a shot.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliesThoughts View Post
I like these plots. Are they based on real data, or intuition? If data, what is the source?
intuition. we are too lazy and prejudice to mess with real data around here

Old 10-09-2014, 08:58 PM

8 posts, read 14,606 times
It's been a few years, but this post came up in another thread, and I really like the idea. Here's a go at it, please criticize the evaluations, I'll admit my ignorance. So one axis is safety the other is affordability, the bigger dot represents nicer houses (considering both potential and work needed to fulfill potential). The color represents the school performance (more red/yellow is district on hard times, more green is highly rated). With CPS since magnet schools are an equalizer I added a bonus for a good neighborhood school or convenient commute to a nice magnet school (though obviously not required for admission). Finally opacity/brightness represents how vibrant a business district/nightlife is for an area.
Attached Thumbnails
Plot of neighborhoods-cinci.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati