Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,928 times

Advertisements

I've evaluating the options between Columbus and Cincinnati, comparing the costs of living, diversity, health care opportunities. The arts and music are a very important part of our family's life, my son is a musician (singer, songwriter, rock). I would like to hear more in depth about what is offered in these areas that is more detailed than the usual tourist information. The town we live in is nice enough, however job opportunities and no diversity has prompted us to reconsider remaining here. I want more opportuinites for my son, as well as for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 10:19 PM

10 posts, read 60,026 times
There isn't a ton of difference. Cincinnati has more folks whose families have been in the area for generations whereas Columbus has a lot more new arrivals. Both have decent music scenes though Cbus's is probably a little more lively. They are both pretty diverse - with Columbus more so. Cincinnati is prettier and has more personality, while Columbus probably has a more vibrant economy.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:44 PM

15 posts, read 27,847 times
i

Old 08-19-2009, 08:03 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
As far as opportunities for your son, it'd be hard to beat Cincinnati's School for the Creative and Performing Arts and the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music (CCM) at the University of Cincinnati.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,384 times
We moved to Cincinnati 10 years ago from the D.C. area. I agree that Cincinnati seems to be a little behind the times, especially coming from D.C., but it can be a nice place to settle - you can't beat the low cost of living. Cincinnati is a very neighborhood-oriented city. The "east side" is generally cleaner and more affluent, but people can be materialistic and shallow (watch out for Anderson Township, read "white"). Conservative Republicans abound, but as a liberal Democrat, we have found a surprisingly strong presence here as well - again, it depends on where you settle. We have lived on both sides of town and found that we like to live in the city on the "west side." There is more racial diversity and it's lower income overall, but the people tend to be friendlier - in our experience. What we like is that there are actually sidewalks to go walking with your kids and your neighbors (even the ones you don't know) will tend to greet you as you go past. We spent 3 years in Anderson, and aside from the fact that most developments don't even have sidewalks, your neighbors will be more likely to ignore you than say hello - and this from a D.C. native. Again, it depends on what you want from your experience. Our kids go to SCPA (School for Creative and Performing Arts of Taking the Stage on MTV) and we need to be in the city limits. Blue Ash and the outlying suburbs are quite nice, and if you like suburbia, they would be a great choice. You can't beat Sycamore, Lakota or Mason for good schools. We like the city - I have spent lots of time downtown and SCPA is in Over The Rhine, characterized as the "dangerous" part of downtown, and we have had no problems, but you have to use common sense. Next year they are opening a new school for SCPA (still in OTR) which cost upwards of $80 million, so it can't be that bad, you know? We love the city - like I said, you just have to use common sense, it's a city. Cincinnati is extremely rich in the arts and there is also northern Kentucky for activities and night life - you can take a walk on the Purple People Bridge that spans the Ohio River and connects Sawyer Point Park in Cincinnati to Newport on the Levee in KY and have the time of your life. So much to do! The downtown area is currently on the upswing, as construction for a new riverside development, The Banks, is underway. The music scene here is also hopping and you can find amazing local and regional talent from classical to just about anything - it's the home of King Records. There is also the internationally renown Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, the Cincinnati Ballet, Playhouse in the Park, you name it. If you want a nice Midwestern city, you could do a lot worse than Cincinnati.

Last edited by Giddyiupgal; 04-08-2010 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: ommision
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati