Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 09:35 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times

Advertisements

You mentioned your girlfriend is looking to go for her masters. Is she looking as a full time student? My youngest daughter recently completed her Masters in Education from the University of Louisville. She was able to complete most of the requirements online and her Army Reserve paid for it. Xavier in Cincinnati has a highly recognized Masters program, but as a private university I believe it is quite expensive. My grandson, who is a Freshman, received a scholarship to Xavier, but once he checked into it realized he could go to UC in the field he is actually interested in, Engineering, for less money since the tuition at Xavier is so high.

You might also want to check out NKU (Northern Kentucky University) across the river. They have been gaining in size and prestige in recent years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 09:44 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,550 times
Does NKU still offer in-state tuition to Cincinnati residents?

Old 11-17-2011, 01:49 PM

Just found out Raymond Walters College has officially changed its name to UC Blue Ash College. It is the largest regional campus of any university in Ohio. I keep plugging away for it mainly due to the very attractive and safe environment and the fact 75% of their students work while going to school.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:27 PM

8 posts, read 15,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
You mentioned your girlfriend is looking to go for her masters. Is she looking as a full time student?
She is interested in the Masters Degree in Mental Health Counseling at the UC main campus. It is a full-time program. I also looked into the Associate Degree in Dental Hygiene Technology at the regional campus in Blue Ash, OH that you suggested. The thing that concerns me are the prerequisites. Some state that they must have been completed (in high school) within six years prior to application to the program. I graduated from high school six years ago and unfortunately I allowed a few years to pass before going back. I have been attending a local community college part-time this year. I will try to get some of these prerequisites out of the way while I am still stuck in MA

Old 11-18-2011, 06:50 AM

74 posts, read 189,035 times
We are in our 40's and self-employed. We just moved here from NY. We too disliked the self-absorbed rudeness of the northeast and we fell in love with the Cincinnati area. After subsequent trips out here and house hunting for about 9 months we bought a log home in a semi rural area, east of the city. We are only about 45/60 min from downtown. The real estate prices are right and the taxes are great; good school systems, less harsh climate and really friendly people. Did I mention I love it here!!??

Old 11-18-2011, 07:17 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelent View Post
We are in our 40's and self-employed. We just moved here from NY. We too disliked the self-absorbed rudeness of the northeast and we fell in love with the Cincinnati area. After subsequent trips out here and house hunting for about 9 months we bought a log home in a semi rural area, east of the city. We are only about 45/60 min from downtown. The real estate prices are right and the taxes are great; good school systems, less harsh climate and really friendly people. Did I mention I love it here!!??
I'm happy to hear your move has been so successful. I had to refresh my memory, but now that I have, I correctly remembered that when you first posted a little over a year ago you were extremely concerned about the social/political conservatism of this area and your family not being accepted. Glad that has not come to pass.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:29 PM

8 posts, read 15,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelent View Post
I am surprised on a daily basis by how much pride people have in the northeast. I think they are in denial, maybe to cope with how horrible it really is? You mentioned the friendliness and we would really appreciate the golden rule being implemented into our daily lives! The real estate, taxes, school systems, and climate are all an added bonus. It's encouraging to hear that you transitioned well and we hope to do the same!

Old 11-18-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I'm happy to hear your move has been so successful. I had to refresh my memory, but now that I have, I correctly remembered that when you first posted a little over a year ago you were extremely concerned about the social/political conservatism of this area and your family not being accepted. Glad that has not come to pass.
Yes I remember also. It is always great to hear people are satisfied with their move and find out we did not lead them totally astray in saying they would like Cincinnati.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:02 AM

74 posts, read 189,035 times
Hi, Yes we are really happy here. Moving here was the best decision! Thanks to all the posters here for all the advice and information on this board.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 565 times
I've lived here for three years now after we moved from Lexington (which is amazing), and I can truly say I HATE this place. I'm so ready to move anywhere else or at least back to Lexington. The weather is always awful (winter never ends), the city is ugly and full of abandoned industrial buildings (hence the nickname "Cincinnasti"...and if it had a color it would be gray), there is always a shooting, and aside from OTR, there is nothing local or unique about this place. It's like a suburban/franchised lovers heaven, which drives me crazy. NKY especially has no personality aside from Covington. The river is dirty, the people are so RUDE, and everyone is always rushed and impatient. I'm just over it all. I have no idea why people love it so much. The people that are from here tend to stay here and if you come in from somewhere else, good luck making friends!! The demographic is either soccer moms or drug addicts, so if you don't fit in with those groups, it's incredibly hard to meet people in my experience. Sorry this is so negative, but I really can't say much good about it, in my opinion. To each his own though. Do yourself a favor and don't move here!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati