Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 08:19 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,790,954 times

Advertisements

I live in Louisville and have a free weekend next weekend. I've decided to go to one city within close proximity to Louisville to take photos and Cincy ended up winning the poll. Here are some questions on the trip.

1. I'll likely be coming in on a Friday. How bad is I-71/I-75 during rush hour getting in/out? I may just wait until 10am to come in and 8 pm to come out.

2. What are some things I must photograph both in Cincy and Northern KY? I'd love to take some shots of older buildings and maybe some river shots?

3. What are some good general places to grab a bite of some local Cincy cuisine?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions Cincy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 08:58 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,827,501 times
I you want some great photos of the river, get on the web and look up maps for the following:
. Devou Park, Covington KY
. Eden Park, Cincinnati OH
Their overlooks will give you great shots. There are several others, but these are the easiest to identify.
If you are adventuresome, the OTR district of Cincy will fill your bill. I would suggest taking one of the brewery district tours to get a real feeling of the historical nature of OTR, also safety in numbers.
If you just want to wander a few blocks from Fountain Square in downtown, if observant you will find a lot of architecture to photograph. Most of this area is on the safe side.

Our most distinctive cuisine, Cincinnati Chili, has invaded Louisville, but are rather sparsely spaced. You need to find one of the local chains, not hard since they are everywhere, and at least order a 3-way & 2 cheese coneys.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:23 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,950,747 times
our own restorationconsultant did a post about downtown architecture. it is probably the best place to start for photography

Victorian Antiquities and Design: Cincinnati: A downtown tour and observations

There are too many things to photograph in one day, so focus on one thing (eg monument buildings or Italianate architecture or parks or urban decay) and try to capture that.

Traffic on the weekend isn't a big deal. On Friday, it would be best to avoid rush hour; try to cross the river after 9am

Old 10-06-2011, 03:14 PM

I agree with progmac, don't try and cram too much into a short time frame. Pick some specific objectives and do them justice. Some good river views are easily obtained in half a day. You can get off of I-71/I-75 on your way in and find Devou Park. A little later after you cross the river the climb up to Eden Park is easy if you have it mapped. Then plan the rest of your time here. Hope you have a great time in our city.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:30 PM

4,889 posts, read 13,852,165 times
Here's a good way to not sweat the morning traffic back-ups: Use the Anderson Ferry! It starts running before you'd want to be out of bed. Reach it by taking 275 west from 71/75 (airport exit) to KY 237, which you follow north to the end. Double back onto KY 8, a scenic meander along the river, to the ferry dock. Should the ferry fill to capacity before your wheels roll on board, fret not for it should complete the circuit within ten minutes. "Weather permitting," sit on a bench or perch on a rock outside and take in the bucolic surroundings. Other than some high-rises on the Ohio side there's little to give away the fact that you're in a metropolitan area. Little more than a motorized barge, which holds at most a dozen conveyances, the Anderson Ferry has been plying its crossing for about 175 years. They don't take plastic, so have four singles ready to keep the ferryman from needing to break a bill (haven't seen a woman operator yet.)
Once you're on Buckeye soil, you can either turn east on River Rd, a main artery into the city, or climb the hill on Anderson Ferry Rd to take a spin around Cincy's west side. If sweeping skyline photos are part of your plan, there are excellent views to be had from Harrison Ave and Westwood-Northern Blvd as they descend into the Mill Creek Valley if you stay northbound. For some fun kitschy shots, the headquarters for the local LaRosa's pizza chain is on Boudinot Ave near Glenway. Opposite their flagship restaurant stands a drab, generic, gray modern office building which is HQ. What sets this edifice apart from hundreds of others of its ilk is the inlaid "347-1111" on the south-facing wall at the upper corner nearest the street. Every Cincinnatian who's ever called out for 'za knows that phone number by heart. While on the west side, drive down Werk Rd to see the Gamble House. (It's set back from the street and not visible without your walking onto the property. But it should be easy to spot since there'll quite likely be picketers outside. Long story short, the owners are looking to demolish it.) This house is where the "G" of P & G made his home.
If you hanker to try the local chili - which many many people inexplicably enjoy - one of the better-liked "parlors" is Camp Washington Chili on Hopple St in Camp Washington. It'd make for a logical lunch stop if you've taken the ferry and toured the west side, as Westwood-Northern Blvd crosses a viaduct and then becomes Hopple. Then, if church pics are your thing the nearby Sacred Heart Church on Marshall Ave would be portfolio-worthy.
Let us know what your camera likes to focus on most and we'll chime in with more ideas.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:33 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,950,747 times
great idea goygoy! anderson ferry alone is worth the trip. i heard they made mad bank when the obama speech closed down the 71/75 bridge

Old 10-08-2011, 12:26 PM

17,622 posts, read 13,410,543 times
In photographing Cincy, you CAN NOT MISS Union Terminal..Both inside and out!!

Other than the US Capitol, it is my favorite building in the USA.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:28 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,512,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
In photographing Cincy, you CAN NOT MISS Union Terminal..Both inside and out!!

Other than the US Capitol, it is my favorite building in the USA.
Agreed. I paid $6 for parking last time I was in Cincinnati just to check it out (I used to go on field trips for school there all the time in the early 90s) for nostalgia's sake. I also love art deco, and Cincinnati offers an abundance.

I also think some shots of the city from the observation deck of the Carew Tower are well worth the $2 admission. Take in city vistas from a height of 574 feet.

I'd also suggest Mt. Echo Park and the parking lot of the Celestial (or City View Tavern) in Mt. Adams if you want some good vantage points for skyline shots (from both the west and east sides)

Old 10-10-2011, 09:44 PM

Your original posty indicated this past weekend would be your trip to Cincy. Did you make it or not? If you did, what was the result. If it is still to be concluded, have you modified anything you want to observe?

Old 10-11-2011, 05:45 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,790,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Your original posty indicated this past weekend would be your trip to Cincy. Did you make it or not? If you did, what was the result. If it is still to be concluded, have you modified anything you want to observe?
Oh my bad. It is actually this Friday and not the last one (as I speak I'm typing this from the airport in DC where I was over the weekend. Ya'll have given really good suggestions. I like the OTR (what does that stand for?) and the ferry's for possible objectives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati