Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 03:48 PM

477 posts, read 666,067 times

Advertisements

Okay, I just learned that a beautiful late 1800s stone building is getting demolished in Mt Auburn. Guess what this is next to an entire block of beautiful homes that were demolished all because Christ Hospital wanted an overflow lot for extra cars just in case?!! Take a look at the block: https://maps.google.com/?ll=39.11951...145.02,,0,-0.2

Take a look at the stone apartment building:
https://maps.google.com/?ll=39.11888...74.38,,0,-8.11

I swear Cincy is the only city that wontonly destory's it's treasures (and doesn't have severe economic issues) and no one even knows about it until its too late! This was a stable neighborhood!!!

*Okay yeah I know this is common, but seriously why wasn't there any uproar about this!?

Last edited by neilworms2; 10-18-2012 at 03:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 03:57 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,477,739 times
It's criminal that Christ Hospital wants to tear down that building for a surface lot. Build an underground garage for the overflow. It makes me sick to see historic buildings demolished for nothing.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:58 PM

364 posts, read 717,231 times
Please do not tell me that stone apartment building is gone now?

Old 10-18-2012, 06:31 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,305,724 times
It was a strategic move by the hospital. Interest in historic properties is increasing. They wanted to demo it now because 10 years from now no one would let them.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:09 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,843,709 times
If it is something they paid for I don't see a problem with that. If you wanted it saved maybe you should put up your own money to keep it there. Can't save everything.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:03 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,832,870 times
The number of hospitals on Pill Hill have reduced. Bethesda Oak is no more. Jewish moved to Kenwood. Deaconness converted to other uses. Those remaining are expanding to keep pace with the need. You basically have Christ, Good Samaritan, University, and Childrens. I do not blame Christ for protecting both their position to expand and also provide adequate patient parkaing.

The suburban hospitals have cut deeply into the Pill Hill operations with their more convenient locations. Bethesda North continues to grow and expand. Jewish is doing well in Kenwood. The newer West Chester Medical gets great reviews from patients. The soon to be opened Mercy Health West Hospital appears to be the jewel for the west side, in addition to their existing facilities spread around town.

Hospitals like Christ must be able to expand their offerings and make the experience a memorable one and pleasant for both patients and visitors. Protecting their long-term viability to me is a wise decision. I feel the needs of a world-class medical facility outweighs the loss of a few old houses.

I try and avoid Good Samaritan because I thoroughly dislike that narrow and difficult to negotitate parking garage. When you try and pack something on a too small plot of ground that is what you get.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:20 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,952,587 times
okay, here's the deal

christ hospital and the other major uptown employers want to level the whole place. they have absolutely zero interest in the historic nature of the city, zero interest in local residents, and zero interest in the city. they want to get people in and out. they play nice to get what they want and they are loaded with cash to get what they can't get by playing nice. they don't care. tell me one development uptown that has preserved anything of cultural value. because i can name twenty like this.

just wait until they take out all of glencoe. probably for more parking or some lame modern building.

mt auburn has zero protections in place for their historic fabric. one day everyone there is going to wake up, look at the sea of modern buildings and parking garages and say, what the hell happened to my neighborhood?

Last edited by progmac; 10-19-2012 at 08:30 AM..

Old 10-19-2012, 08:21 AM

4,497 posts, read 6,257,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
just wait until they take out all of glencoe. probably for more parking or some lame modern building.
Someone really needs to do something withe Glencoe before it's too late.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:53 AM

307 posts, read 544,927 times
I honestly think the majority of mt auburn residents are largely apathetic to most issues of development. And while I may not like the decision to tear it down I can't entirely fault them. What is the demand for apts in that part of my auburn? And does the building even lend itself to an easy modern day conversion? As far as glencoe goes while it's unique I honestly can't see many situations where its turned into market rate residential. If it was up on the hill yes, down in the hole where it is i just don't see it happening.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:00 AM

4,497 posts, read 6,257,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytraveler View Post
I honestly think the majority of mt auburn residents are largely apathetic to most issues of development. And while I may not like the decision to tear it down I can't entirely fault them. What is the demand for apts in that part of my auburn? And does the building even lend itself to an easy modern day conversion? As far as glencoe goes while it's unique I honestly can't see many situations where its turned into market rate residential. If it was up on the hill yes, down in the hole where it is i just don't see it happening.
Investors have started snapping up properties along Auburn Ave for UC students, although I am not aware of student housing that far down Auburn. So demand is likely mixed between neighborhood residents and students in the minority.

As for Glencoe, I don't see anything successful happening there unless the neighborhood at the bottom of the hill is cleaned up. Right now that part of Mount Auburn is very rough and has a lot of drug activity all the way out to Vine Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati