Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 06:21 PM

6 posts, read 11,748 times

Advertisements

well being 63 of age and on MEDICAD I guess I can not agree with you about this matter.
I have worked for a very long time and did some bad mistakes with my money thru the years which is not an excuse and I can only hope that it never happens to anyone in this thread, but things do happen to good people. And at the same time you are right about the housing there 2 many very large housing communities that can rob the system dry.
Just remember things can happen and I know because I myself was saying the same as you are now 40 years ago.
Be gentle and kind with the seniors.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:50 PM

526 posts, read 1,482,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allybigcat View Post
...I have worked for a very long time and did some bad mistakes
That is the point.. you worked and contributed to society; you paid your dues; you paid taxes. You made sacrifices. What I resent is people playing the system; doing nothing but breeding and expecting the rest of society to support them and their children.

At this point in time, over 10% of all groceries are paid with food stamps! There is something very wrong with this picture

Old 02-01-2011, 08:26 AM

682 posts, read 1,630,036 times
The first thing locally that needs to happen is we need to end Cincinnati's "sanctuary city status"

We live in a society that thinks it is "entitled'. It's the first of the month. Go to grocery today and watch people , dressed well, with smart phones in hand, in the checkout line ahead of you with their carts of steak and shrimp for them and junk food for their kids and pay for it with a food card. Follow them out and watch them get in to a probably nicer car than you have and drive off. Drive by their home and see the satellite dish and big screen TV in their living room.

We have a multi generational "entitlement society' parents learn how to sign their children up for "disability' because they can find a doctor who will say their child is in the "autism spectrum". The parents became 'disabled' years ago and the grandchildren will find a way to be "disabled' also.

We need to fix the definition of "disabled' to men those who really are disabled and really couldn't work and we need programs to help those people because it is the compassionate and right thing to do. That is what charities are for.

We need to stop rewarding people for having more than two children by giving them more more assistance, additional child tax deductions and a larger section 8 vouchers. That also applies to those of you in the middle class who feel is necessary to have 4-5 kids. First two? Yes you get a tax deduction, above that, it was your decision to have them why should we give you get tax credit? Maybe we should give people a tax break for having no children or only 1 child.

We need to REQUIRE people to stay in school until they achieve a high school diploma. If you want to go to college, great! If you don't want to go to college and want to go to technical school , great! You should do what the rest of us did and work and go to school. You want nice things? Try saving for them and buying them rather than renting them by the week. You want a nice house? Start out renting and save your money and don't buy more house than you can afford, and then simply walk away from it causing my property values to decline. That "might' mean not buying that new car every couple of years or replacing that smart phone everytime the latest model comes out.

If you choose to not finish school, then you shouldn't complain that you can't find a job. Similarly if you have a college degree you should not 'assume' someone should give you a high paying job or promote you or give you a raise.

Its a novel idea that some of us have learned to do , it's called living within your means and being responsible for your situation.

And if you lose your job. 99 weeks of unemployment? REALLY? Change unemployment to be unemployment and after the initail benefits run out then you have to go to the welfare office and collect your benefits there. People might be more motivated if there was some 'social stigma' attached to unemployment forever. Yes, you might have to work two jobs to maintain the lifestyle you had. Maybe, the reason you lost your job was the company was cutting "dead weight", maybe those hour lunches, 1/2 hour breaks, being on the computer shopping, your unwillingness to work late, or over, when you needed to, caused your boss to decide to keep the employee in the next cubicle because they did all the things you wouldn't do. Maybe YOU need an attitude adjustment and better 'work ethic'?

Maybe, just maybe, people need to stop 'whining' about their situation and do something about it?

This country is in the shape its in because our Government employees feel similary entitled to make twice the media income on average? Responsiility begins within people.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:54 AM

75 posts, read 176,049 times
Strong opinions much?

Old 02-01-2011, 10:38 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo11 View Post
Strong opinions much?
Yes, and that it what is is going to take to turn the situation around. People have to take responsibility for their actions, novel idea, and not depend on the state.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:00 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,980,188 times
Speaking as a dyed-in-the-wool moderate Democrat, the thing that really p*sses me off is all the people who don't really need assistance using up the resources for the people who DO really need it. We do a crappy job in this country of caring for the chronically, intractibly mentally ill and/or disabled, for example. But if we limited our assistance, we could practically put those people in a country club.

I volunteer at my church on the day of the week that people come in to get Kroger cards because they have no money for groceries. A lot of them look like they can really use the help, and are grateful for it. But waaay to many of them are dressed a lot more expensively than anything I can afford, have those bizarre, ornate manicures that cost, what, $50 per fill? and have a cell phone glued to their ear the whole time they're waiting. It' ain't a pretty sight.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:40 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
That is the point.. you worked and contributed to society; you paid your dues; you paid taxes. You made sacrifices. What I resent is people playing the system; doing nothing but breeding and expecting the rest of society to support them and their children.

At this point in time, over 10% of all groceries are paid with food stamps! There is something very wrong with this picture
5 years ago 10% would've have raised my eyebrows but with today's economy I am not the least bit surprised. Unemployment in Hamilton county is over 8% afterall.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:41 PM

279 posts, read 718,301 times
Some members of our society really make me sick. We should crack down and stop catering to the ******* who just want to use the system and be leeches. If you have kids you can't support, well thats your problem. Shoulda thought about that before takin shots and bringin Tony out to your 94 Chevy Corsica.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:59 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Removing unnecessary obstacles to work could help the situation greatly.

Go check out the obstacles facing potential applicants today on Craigslist, that weren't there 20-30 years ago.

Do you really need to go to a Massage School, become a licensed massage therapist, to give a massage? No! I've had some awesome massages from people who were not licensed, some just have that magic touch, they may have gotten some pointers from seeing a DVD on how to give a massage.

I work as a Nursing Assistant. Got my first job with no training whatsoever. Nowadays, go look at what they require for a simple job like this! Credit history, drug test, TB test, DMV printout, CPR license, CNA training, fingerprint cards, background check. Didn't have to do any of that when I first worked in 1972. Was hired the same day I applied, they needed the help that badly.

Way too many hoops to jump through today!

If the senior population truly wants to help the young today, and with skads of time on their hands, they could pitch in and get involved, politically, and help remove some of these obstacles.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:36 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
This country is in the shape its in because our Government employees feel similary entitled to make twice the media income on average? Responsiility begins within people.
Where did you see that? USA Today? I've heard something similar quoted in their pages. But their credibility is about zero with me. On a front page article about road debris, the reporter stated that she couldn't find any reliable statistics so she then turned it into an anti-trucker diatribe quoting some conversations she heard on the Cee Bee radio... USA Today is fodder for small minds.

That seems more like a personal belief rather than fact. Nothing personal, but I've always wondered why people who think government jobs are such a lucrative gig didn't go out and get one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati