Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 04:58 PM

4,484 posts, read 6,237,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattolson View Post
I actually plan on checking this place out when I go out there. I still can't get over how cheap everything is. I'm paying $1300 right now for a basement.

Also, what are gas prices like?
3.70 or so, but you can get a Kroger card for .10 discount at Shell stations, or use Gasbuddy on your I-phone/Android or whatever.

Prices here are very cheap. I used to live in Astoria and Long Island City before they became trendy - around 20 years ago. I considered moving back, except to Ridgewood, just a few months ago. Considered South Philly as well but the cost of living, Cincinnati's thriving urban core and re-development, and my son's school (SCPA) won me over in the end. Hit downtown, OTR, Mount Adams, Clifton Gaslight, Northside night-life and restaurant scenes. You won't be disappointed. I've found people in the downtown/uptown neighborhoods to be very accepting of transplants like myself. Just be friendly and I've found you get that in return. Very unlike the northeast, where friendliness is sometimes viewed with suspicion. Obviously, use your best judgement, but I don't think you will have any trouble making a new life here. I've been here around 2.5 years and have a pretty large network of friends and acquaintances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 07:05 AM

123 posts, read 138,604 times
Yeah, I was told one of the biggest culture shocks is that people go out of their way to be kind and helpful. This is still mind boggoling to me; but might be a nice switch up.

From calling and emailing around it seems near impossible to land one of these lofts. From what I've seen I'm a huge fan of Parker Lofts.

Another question, how much is a large cheese pizza? I'm serious, haha.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:31 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,658 times
Ignore anyone who tries to hype up LaRosa's, which is the big local pizza chain. Their pizza is not good.

Looks like $15.49 for a large (16") cheese pizza from Adriatico's. Dewey's is about the same, at $15.45 for 17".

Old 05-09-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Ignore anyone who tries to hype up LaRosa's, which is the big local pizza chain. Their pizza is not good.

Looks like $15.49 for a large (16") cheese pizza from Adriatico's. Dewey's is about the same, at $15.45 for 17".
^ This.

LaRosa's is nasty.

Don't expect NYC style pizza here, and you very likely won't find a true 18" large pie here either. If you do, let me know. Adriatico's is good for what they do. So is Pomodori's and I second Dewey's. Lucy Blue and Cincy By the Slice are tolerable only when barhopping on Main Street and all sensibilities are otherwise gone. Check out A-Tavola for brick oven, Neopolitan pizza. Oh - Pomodori's use a brick oven as well.

A TAVOLA | Bar + Trattoria

A-Tavola will get extremely crowded anywhere near the weekend, an hour and a half wait is the norm.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:00 PM

Wow, pizza is actually more expensive in Cinci. I find this shocking haha. Any other general things I should know about the city? I've been browsing the forum and it seems like a really simple city. I have to get a lot accomplished in two days of being there. I appreciate the help.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:07 PM

Check out UrbanOhio.com, since you are interested in the core of the city. People on this site are fairly suburb-oriented.

The main part of that site is a forum (where you can ask similar questions to what you've asked here), but there's also a photo section with a bunch of neighborhood pics so you can get a feel for different 'hoods.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:29 PM

I checked out that forum, its not interactive at all. Posted but seems like it dies.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:46 PM

Not sure what you mean by "not interactive". If you make a thread asking about neighborhoods, or information about downtown apartment buildings, people will answer.

Though people are mostly there to talk about development, planning, politics, etc., people are willing to help out. It's not an apartment-seeking forum, but there are a lot of people knowledgeable about the city, especially the city center and surrounding areas.

FYI, the post you replied to was meant for established members of the forum (like an insider tip among friends). But I'm sure mcadrenaline will respond to you and let you know if the place has been spoken for yet. That type of thread was sort of a one-off thing, though -- you shouldn't get the idea that a major function of the forum is advertising apartments. Not that it never happens, but it's rare.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:22 AM

404 posts, read 826,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattolson View Post
Wow, pizza is actually more expensive in Cinci. I find this shocking haha. Any other general things I should know about the city? I've been browsing the forum and it seems like a really simple city. I have to get a lot accomplished in two days of being there. I appreciate the help.
Eating out is as expensive and regular corner store cheap food (pizza,subs,wraps, etc.) doesn't really exist. So those things are more expensive since they come from real restaurants. Processed food is more expensive at the grocery store (cheese is outrageous, hummus is like $5.50) but fresh food is cheaper (at least than Boston.)

Downtown is a grocery store desert so you will be driving to Hyde Park or Kentucky for groceries. Unless you want to shop 4 different (closer) places to meet all of yr needs.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFresh99 View Post
Downtown is a grocery store desert so you will be driving to Hyde Park or Kentucky for groceries. Unless you want to shop 4 different (closer) places to meet all of yr needs.
I wouldn't call it a desert, that would (to me) imply a complete lack, which is not the case. And to be fair you indicated that as well. I do most of my shopping at Findlay Market and the rest at the Newport Kroger, which is 3 miles from my front door. There is also the Kroger up by UC which is very close as well. Of course there is a locally owned general store, Park and Vine. And of course the very lacking Kroger at Vine and 15th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati