Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 10:50 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
I don't think anyone has ever said this is a ground-breaking issue. I assume the thread was started partly in jest, in response to those of who've experienced this weird behavior and have publically (perhaps 3 or 5 years ago) asked "what's up with the fixation on high school?".

That said, while likely it does not happen among certain social groups, or social classes, or socio-economic climes ... it does still happen among others, suggesting it doesn't is at this point, quite premature. For those of us who are transplants to the area, and are college educated, being asked "What school did you go to?" and then realizing - they don't mean college, is a little odd. It makes the area seem a bit parochial.

and that's one of my issues - its almost always phrased "What SCHOOL did you go to?" (not what high school), yet high school is clearly what's being asked about (because if you answer with a college - they stare at you blankly) - which seems to at least imply a local fixation with high school to the exclusion of further (much more important) education.

the locals' take that this is a shorthand for socioeconomic class, and a number of other markers seems reasonable (and what we assumed upon being asked the question multiple times) - however it makes it no less depressing to some of us who left such things behind in childhood in other metropolitan cities. And no, "what church do you belong to?" is not any more acceptable.

Example. My hometown - everyone asked (in the '70s) "Who does your dad work for?". The expected (correct) answer was one of the Big 3. Families then could be ranked/assorted based on who their dad worked for and who yours worked for. Someone who's dad was an architect or Dr. or librarian was clearly an exception. We were also KIDS. Interest in this sort of question and ranking one another based on such idiotic criteria peaked about 2nd / 3rd grade and by HS no one cared (we cared then about important things like who had a driver's license and a cool car). Also, from friends who have children - that doesn't seem to happen now, likely because the workforce in the area has diversified so much and people instruct their children that its rude.

Spend some time in Midland, Mi. Children ask each other what DEPARTMENT their parent(s) work in at Dow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 11:29 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,551,138 times
Midland being a one horse town (as Detroit metro was when I was a kid) - that's not surprising.

But again, kids asking those types of questions as opposed to adults asking -- there's a difference.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:29 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,105 times
QUESTION: why is this thread not DOA? ANSWER: because people keep responding.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:23 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,980,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
QUESTION: why is this thread not DOA? ANSWER: because people keep responding.
Discussion about a Cincinnati custom on an Internet forum devoted to Cincinnati? Really, how odd is that? Some people just have no sense of propriety.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:22 AM

4,485 posts, read 6,240,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Discussion about a Cincinnati custom on an Internet forum devoted to Cincinnati? Really, how odd is that? Some people just have no sense of propriety.
I had a local who graduated from Walnut Hills explain it to me as a form of classism. Apparently there is some snobbery between more prestigious high schools vs. less prestigious ones? I defer to you locals on this one, but it makes sense. Personally, I think it's totally stupid, but that's obviously my opinion. I have never had the question posed to me in the 3.5 years since I have been here. Nor have I been involved in group settings where the topic came up. I think there are a lot less locals, or people who care downtown.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:25 AM

This morning my 81-year-old native Cincinnatian neighbor and I were out for our morning walk in the neighborhood when a nice couple slowed their car down, told us they were looking at a house for sale, and asked how we like the neighborhood. In the course of the conversation, they mentioned that their son attends Elder. My neighbor lit up like a light bulb and literally exclaimed "MY HUSBAND WENT TO ELDER!" in the way you'd expect someone to do if this were an extreme coincidence of encountering a stranger on the street in Australia or somewhere.

So yeah, I don't know that this is specific to Cincinnati, but it sure is weird.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:43 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I had a local who graduated from Walnut Hills explain it to me as a form of classism. Apparently there is some snobbery between more prestigious high schools vs. less prestigious ones? I defer to you locals on this one, but it makes sense. Personally, I think it's totally stupid, but that's obviously my opinion. I have never had the question posed to me in the 3.5 years since I have been here. Nor have I been involved in group settings where the topic came up. I think there are a lot less locals, or people who care downtown.
You are somewhat on the right track, but as an outsider you are not entitled to the full explanation of why high school is so important. Furthermore, simply attending the high school is not enough. You need to be able to successfully navigate the 5 question "Did you know X person" quiz. I will help you outsiders out. The correct answers are, in order:
1. Nope. Never heard of her.
2. Yeah, he was chill. I dated his cousin.
3. Yeah, she was a skank.
4. Yes he was a tool.
5. No, I heard of him but I was friends with his little brother.

You are all welcome. Welcome to the authentic social scene in ACincinnati.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
This morning my 81-year-old native Cincinnatian neighbor and I were out for our morning walk in the neighborhood when a nice couple slowed their car down, told us they were looking at a house for sale, and asked how we like the neighborhood. In the course of the conversation, they mentioned that their son attends Elder. My neighbor lit up like a light bulb and literally exclaimed "MY HUSBAND WENT TO ELDER!" in the way you'd expect someone to do if this were an extreme coincidence of encountering a stranger on the street in Australia or somewhere.

So yeah, I don't know that this is specific to Cincinnati, but it sure is weird.
That's totally different than someone asking you what high school you went to. They just happened to have that in common, nothing unusual about that.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
You are somewhat on the right track, but as an outsider you are not entitled to the full explanation of why high school is so important. Furthermore, simply attending the high school is not enough. You need to be able to successfully navigate the 5 question "Did you know X person" quiz. I will help you outsiders out. The correct answers are, in order:
1. Nope. Never heard of her.
2. Yeah, he was chill. I dated his cousin.
3. Yeah, she was a skank.
4. Yes he was a tool.
5. No, I heard of him but I was friends with his little brother.

You are all welcome. Welcome to the authentic social scene in ACincinnati.

ROFL!!! I appreciate the clarification.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
That's totally different than someone asking you what high school you went to. They just happened to have that in common, nothing unusual about that.
Yeah, I get that it's different. I guess you had to be there to understand that her tone of voice and intensity of reaction were kind of over the top as well as illustrative of the level of interest people around here seem to take in the high school thing. At least it seemed that way to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati