Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 07:31 AM

19 posts, read 35,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Given your preferences, I recommend Mason and Kings schools. Mason, if you're okay with big schools (27 kids in each class---the great teachers in the district handle it fine), and Kings schools for smaller class sizes. You'll be a little closer to shopping and Life Time Fitness in Mason but more difficult to find what I consider a "treed" property (possible, but more challenging). Kings is the opposite--a little farther from stores, but prettier properties. Both towns have newer housing stock, but more housing developments in Mason might be closer to entrance ramps onto 71.

If you end up choosing Mason, and really want to fine tune things, I'd suggest your husband ask his future collegues if it's easier to get to their office building from the North from I-71 or I-75. If 75 is easier, then look for a house on the Western side of Mason.....something between Butler-Warren Rd. and Mason-Montgomery (I don't recall your price point), but there's a nice housing development on Butler-Warren Rd. between Mason Rd. and Tylersville Rd.) $300,000 range. Look along Mason Road and Bethany Road.....Whispering Springs is a nice neighborhood in the $400,000-$550,000 range.

If it's easier to get to the office building from I-71, look for something East of Mason-Montgomery----specifically White Blossom housing development ($350,000 range), Golden Meadow Dr ($300,000), Lexington Park Blvd. ($300,000 - $400,000), Avalon ($400,000) ----these are the best locations in Mason, IMO.....super easy to get to 71, but very close to shopping and LifeTime Fitness. These neighborhoods feed onto the Fields-Ertel Exit to 71. Be warned that the Fields-Ertel exit ramps will be under construction for the next year or so, but they should be much improved.

Moving one exit North on 71 (Western Row exit---next to Kings Island---or the next one North called the Kings Mills exit) are neighborhoods off Parkside Drive, but this area is a little further away from prime shopping areas such as Deerfield Town Center.

Mason housing stock in the $280,000-$400,000 range is very hot right now. I sold mine 14-18 months ago (when the market was cooler) and it was on the market for 5 days. If you're in the +$500,000 range, it's a much slower market, and some deals to be found if you find a motivated seller. I noticed a former UC football coach now at UT had his house on the market recently....less than a week, and it was under contract....not sure what the purchase price was....but the asking price was a lot higher than I expected, so I'm curious what it will close at. We're entering the busy time of year for real estate, so expect more and more listings to hit the MLS.
This is great! Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Hi, welcome to Cincinnati!

I'm just going to add a couple points to consider.

1. I wouldn't overlook Loveland if I was you. Very nice community and good schools there. Plus it's not that bad of a commute from Reading, probably easier than dealing with I-75 traffic.

2. Between the three locales you mentioned, Mason definitely feel the most "planned". Aesthetically it's easier on the eyes than the other two overall, but none of the three are bad looking. Mason is also the most regulate of the three as well.

3. Glendale and Wyoming would also be worth a look too. Glendale is in Princeton Schools, and Wyoming has their own district.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tips on Loveland, Glendale, and Wyoming, I haven't looked there yet but now I will!

Old 03-04-2014, 08:52 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Again, don't ignore Deerfield Township, the portion south of Mason and in the Mason City School District. The Deerfield Towne Center along Mason Montgomery Rd would undoubtedly be one of your primary shopping areas.

Another comment, the Mason Schools are basically clustered together along Mason Montgomery Rd in the geographical center of Mason. The Mason Community Center is physically connected to the Mason High School on the north side of this complex. The original HS, now the Middle School is where the sports facilities, field house, football and baseball fields, still are. Why rebuild if you don't have to? The Mason Civic Center housing the city government, police, courts, etc. is very close to the HS. All very easy to get to. You can park in the HS parking lot and easily walk over to a football game at the MS.

A second comment, Kings is not an incorporated enty, it is all township. To me this means they do not have the same unity Mason has. Not knocking Kings, as they have done a good job in most areas. But I will guarantee they did not have their residential streets cleared this winter to the level Mason did. Yesterday morning I looked out and our streets were bare. Mason did not have school, but not because of the snow, it was a pre-planned teacher in-service day. But they easily could have had school, with no delays.

A third comment, Loveland is also a nice area, but not the most convenient of commutes. Loveland covers quite a large land mass, which is why it is actually in three counties. The original settlement, on the banks of the Little Miami River, has grown considerably. But I would argue as to whether it has been controlled growth.

OP ... depending on economics, I strongly urge you to consider West Chester, Liberty Twp, Deerfield Twp and Mason, or Kings.

Forget Glendale, it is an old-money area with some find homes but about zero attractions to young families. If you were in your 50/60s I may advise it.

I already gave my opinion on Wyoming. It holds its place on this forum for some simple reasons. As I have pontificated previously, it is an independent city, not a neighborhood of Cincy. It also has its own independant, and I must say regarded school district. It is strategically located for a short commute downtown. This is great for people wanting to work downtown.
But to me it means little to someone working in Reading.

I believe we are asking for a more definitive explanation of exactly where the hubby's job location in Reading will be. Using that information, I am sure many on this forum can give you good advice.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Again, don't ignore Deerfield Township, the portion south of Mason and in the Mason City School District. The Deerfield Towne Center along Mason Montgomery Rd would undoubtedly be one of your primary shopping areas.

Another comment, the Mason Schools are basically clustered together along Mason Montgomery Rd in the geographical center of Mason. The Mason Community Center is physically connected to the Mason High School on the north side of this complex. The original HS, now the Middle School is where the sports facilities, field house, football and baseball fields, still are. Why rebuild if you don't have to? The Mason Civic Center housing the city government, police, courts, etc. is very close to the HS. All very easy to get to. You can park in the HS parking lot and easily walk over to a football game at the MS.

A second comment, Kings is not an incorporated enty, it is all township. To me this means they do not have the same unity Mason has. Not knocking Kings, as they have done a good job in most areas. But I will guarantee they did not have their residential streets cleared this winter to the level Mason did. Yesterday morning I looked out and our streets were bare. Mason did not have school, but not because of the snow, it was a pre-planned teacher in-service day. But they easily could have had school, with no delays.

A third comment, Loveland is also a nice area, but not the most convenient of commutes. Loveland covers quite a large land mass, which is why it is actually in three counties. The original settlement, on the banks of the Little Miami River, has grown considerably. But I would argue as to whether it has been controlled growth.

OP ... depending on economics, I strongly urge you to consider West Chester, Liberty Twp, Deerfield Twp and Mason, or Kings.

Forget Glendale, it is an old-money area with some find homes but about zero attractions to young families. If you were in your 50/60s I may advise it.

I already gave my opinion on Wyoming. It holds its place on this forum for some simple reasons. As I have pontificated previously, it is an independent city, not a neighborhood of Cincy. It also has its own independant, and I must say regarded school district. It is strategically located for a short commute downtown. This is great for people wanting to work downtown.

I believe we are asking for a more definitive explanation of exactly where the hubby's job location in Reading will be. Using that information, I am sure many on this forum can give you good advice.
Thanks kjbrill! My husband's office will be just east of Reading Rd and just north of Ronald Regan (Hwy 126). Definitely much closer to I-75 than I-71. Based on Google maps, it looks like it's very close to the Univ of Cincinnati Reading campus, if that helps any?

Old 03-04-2014, 09:46 AM

OP ... That helps very much.

I did look at the UC Reading campus map. It is very close to the Ronald Reagan, Cross County Highway.

Ignore those talking about east/west. I-71 or I-75 will do you fine there.

Take a look at Route 42 (Reading Rd), it runs from downtown Cincy out through Mason and on to Lebanon. You could take Route 42 from the Ronald Reagan straght up into the center of Mason. Many, many subdivisions along this complex which meet your criteria.

Last edited by kjbrill; 03-04-2014 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-04-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
OP ... That helps very much.

I did look at the UC Reading campus map. It is very close to the Ronald Reagan, Cross County Highway.

Ignore those talking about east/west. I-71 or I-75 will do you fine there.

Take a look at Route 42 (Reading Rd), it runs from downtown Cincy out through Mason and on to Lebanon. You could take Route 42 from the Ronald Reagan straght up into the center of Mason. Many, many subdivisions along this complex which meet your criteria.
Awesome, thanks!

Old 03-04-2014, 12:32 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
A second comment, Kings is not an incorporated enty, it is all township.
That should have no bearing on the school district. Many school districts fall within multiple township, village and city boundaries.

OP, the Kings school district is made up of parts of Deerfield, Hamilton and Union townships (and maybe some of Turtlecreek Township, too) in Warren County, as well as South Lebanon and Maineville villages. Some of the district is small-town, some very suburban, some very rural. There is a wide variety of housing in the district as well.
Quote:
But I will guarantee they did not have their residential streets cleared this winter to the level Mason did.
Again, what does this have to do with the Kings school district? It's not responsible for plowing streets.

Quote:
A third comment, Loveland is also a nice area, but not the most convenient of commutes. Loveland covers quite a large land mass, which is why it is actually in three counties.
I don't imagine the Loveland school district is that much geographically larger than Mason or any of the others in the area. Again, I don't see where this makes a difference. The commute from Loveland to Reading is 15-20 minutes, no farther than Mason. Also, the Loveland school district has a wide variety of housing, from historic houses along the river to new McMansions.

Quote:
I already gave my opinion on Wyoming. It holds its place on this forum for some simple reasons. As I have pontificated previously, it is an independent city, not a neighborhood of Cincy.
Not sure why you feel you had to bring this up, since none of the other areas we're discussing are neighborhoods of Cincinnati, either.

Wyoming is a small city with plenty of character and lovely homes. Its school district is much smaller than Sycamore, Kings or any of the other suburban districts in the area; that might be a consideration for the OP.

Quote:
It also has its own independant, and I must say regarded school district. It is strategically located for a short commute downtown. This is great for people wanting to work downtown.
Maybe because Reading is about 5 minutes away from Wyoming, just a skip across I-75?

Really, for someone who's lived in the area all his life, you should know these things.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:54 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That should have no bearing on the school district. Many school districts fall within multiple township, village and city boundaries.

OP, the Kings school district is made up of parts of Deerfield, Hamilton and Union townships (and maybe some of Turtlecreek Township, too) in Warren County, as well as South Lebanon and Maineville villages. Some of the district is small-town, some very suburban, some very rural. There is a wide variety of housing in the district as well.

Again, what does this have to do with the Kings school district? It's not responsible for plowing streets.

I don't imagine the Loveland school district is that much geographically larger than Mason or any of the others in the area. Again, I don't see where this makes a difference. The commute from Loveland to Reading is 15-20 minutes, no farther than Mason. Also, the Loveland school district has a wide variety of housing, from historic houses along the river to new McMansions.

Not sure why you feel you had to bring this up, since none of the other areas we're discussing are neighborhoods of Cincinnati, either.

Wyoming is a small city with plenty of character and lovely homes. Its school district is much smaller than Sycamore, Kings or any of the other suburban districts in the area; that might be a consideration for the OP.

Maybe because Reading is about 5 minutes away from Wyoming, just a skip across I-75?

Really, for someone who's lived in the area all his life, you should know these things.
+1 to this entire post. Was just about to ask the same myself.

kjbrill, you are great, but your responses on this thread have left me... confused. Not saying you are incorrect, but I'm just confused. I'll pull out some links later for discussion to relate to this topic.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:12 PM

OP... You gave your emphasis.

You did state that schools were your most important consideration. And I believe that is the first emphasis, and should be the first consideration. But that is not the end of the line.

At the same time, the kids go to the schools, but you have to live in the district. It is the ability to live there I am placing the emphasis on. If you don't think how well the local jurisdiction clears the snow off the streets counts, then you obviously have not been here this winter.

Several people seem to have an animosity against Mason. Perhaps that is just due to envy. Money Magazine recently moved Mason up from its 24th to its 7th position best place to live. And why does Money give them this ranking, simple - the schools.

So follow the leaders. Live in Mason and work in Reading. Again, look at a map. If the work in Reading is anywhere close to Reading Rd (Route 42), that is your gameplan. Route 42 may not be your fastest daily route to/from work, but it is your fallback.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormadNYC View Post
It does take you 50 min to go 18 miles here in Cincinnati...
Seems like everyone has talked to everything but weather, of course as you know Cincinnati is much more colder and snowier than Atlanta, this year we got 46 inches of snow so get ready for the worst period of your life from November to March.
Whever you live and it takes you 50 minutes to go 18 miles in Cincinnati, I only have one piece of advice - Move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati