Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 12:08 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,702,997 times

Advertisements

States of Potomac, Iroquois, Franklin, Allegheny... I LOVE it. The US of the mirror universe.

You did a really good job with the divisions and I agree with everything on this map.

Look up a book called "The Nine Nations of North America", published in the early 1980s. It covers many of the same ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 01:41 PM

203 posts, read 326,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
States of Potomac, Iroquois, Franklin, Allegheny... I LOVE it. The US of the mirror universe.

You did a really good job with the divisions and I agree with everything on this map.

Look up a book called "The Nine Nations of North America", published in the early 1980s. It covers many of the same ideas.
Thanks, I will do that

at a quick glance it looks like the more recent regional planning organization America 2050 (http://www.america2050.org/) I took their regional boundaries into consideration as well.

Last edited by jasomm; 04-24-2012 at 02:10 PM..

Old 04-24-2012, 02:14 PM

Whats really interesting is if you compare Garreau's 9-Nations maps of modern cultural/economic regions to the pre-columbian cultural areas established through archeology.

Really goes to show you, it doesn't really matter who settles in an area - given enough time, the area will come to define the people.

Last edited by jasomm; 04-24-2012 at 02:27 PM..

Old 04-24-2012, 10:21 PM

189 posts, read 400,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasomm View Post
really? I've always associated with Toledo more than Cleveland... and its not like the state lines are the Berlin wall. it will still be in the same place?
I grew up in Lorain County. We typically consider Sandusky Bay the dividing point between NE Ohio and NW Ohio, but it varies from person to person.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkenstein91 View Post
I grew up in Lorain County. We typically consider Sandusky Bay the dividing point between NE Ohio and NW Ohio, but it varies from person to person.
Fremont would be NW right....
The County line between Sandusky Co and Erie Co would make sense then right? Bellevue spans across that line though... Would you consider them NW or NE? Also Mansfield would be NE then. is that legit? (Im not familiar with the smaller towns in that area)

Old 04-25-2012, 10:23 AM

800 posts, read 781,212 times
One thing that's popped up that I find annoying is that in addition to UC, Xavier, OU, and UK fans, Cincinnati has a lot of Indiana University fans as well. Bloomington is about the same distance from Cincinnati as Lexington is, but we get shafted in the Enquirer, compared to UK.

If Cincinnati were to leave to any other state I'd argue for Indiana just as much as Kentucky. You can bet most Hoosiers would be more than happy to give NW Indiana to Illinois and get Cincinnati instead. SW Ohio politically has a lot in common with Southern Indiana. Always thought a state that combined Cincinnati, Dayton, Indianapolis, Louisville and extreme NKY, and the rest of Southern Indiana would be interesting and cool.

In all though, sorry rest Ohio you're stuck with us and our amazing chili

Old 04-25-2012, 10:26 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
One thing that's popped up that I find annoying is that in addition to UC, Xavier, OU, and UK fans, Cincinnati has a lot of Indiana University fans as well. Bloomington is about the same distance from Cincinnati as Lexington is, but we get shafted in the Enquirer, compared to UK.

If Cincinnati were to leave to any other state I'd argue for Indiana just as much as Kentucky. You can bet most Hoosiers would be more than happy to give NW Indiana to Illinois and get Cincinnati instead. SW Ohio politically has a lot in common with Southern Indiana. Always thought a state that combined Cincinnati, Dayton, Indianapolis, Louisville and extreme NKY, and the rest of Southern Indiana would be interesting and cool.

In all though, sorry rest Ohio you're stuck with us and our amazing chili

I ran into more Purdue fans in Cincinnati than IU fans.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:17 AM

800 posts, read 781,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I ran into more Purdue fans in Cincinnati than IU fans.
I find that surprising, though depending on what your field of work is I can see how that could happen. Anything engineering or tech related Purdue has its hold, but I can guarantee any of the big businesses in the area have a decent amount of IU grads/fans thanks to IU's b-school. IU has become increasingly popular at my HS since I graduated, and I know schools like X and Ursula send a lot of kids to IU too. In fact the local bar here made a Reds themed tshirt past summer. Also, once you hit Lawrenceburg you see a lot of IU stuff also. However, I know it doesn't match the influence/support of UK, but there's definitely reasons for that, and it'd be nice to see a little Enquirer coverage, considering it's about as far as OSU and UK from Cincinnati.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:35 AM

103 posts, read 210,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkenstein91 View Post

I grew up in the Sandusky area and we always considered ourselves more NW Ohio than NE, but certainly not Michigan . To me the diving line between NE and NW is somewhere between Vermillion and Huron, basically where the Cleveland-Akron-Lorain metropolitan area stops.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:08 PM

Here is another interesting bit of information to visualize existing communities
Cell phone call connectiveness:

And texting Connectiveness (which is probably more representative of personal relationships, rather than business calls:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati