Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 06:05 PM

5 posts, read 38,460 times

Advertisements

This looks like an interesting time for me to ask some questions of those of you that have posted some worthwhile comments above. From looking at a real estate sight, I have noticed some almost new homes in Mt Orab for attractive prices. I have no idea what Mr Orab is like, but I wonder how far I must travel to go to a hospital or fast food locations. If I wanted to join a health club, in what town would I have to travel to? In another direction, if I were to relocate to Lebanon, which seems to have excessive property taxes, would that be the end of my problems or does this town tax other things that I should know about. Property values in Loveland and Milford seem to be tied to the fact that these locations are close to I-275. If I am not interested in traveling on I-275 on a daily basis, but do not want to live in a cow pasture, then should I look at Batavia, Williamsburg, or Blanchester? Harlan Township on route 123 may be well located for traveling in a number of directions, yet there is nothing there. Monroe is close by, yet still undeveloped. I would like the city feel of Lebanon, but not the cow pasture feel that Fayetteville or Goshen bring with it. I need help soon, as I am coming to Ohio in February to look at houses, located east of Cincinnati, outside of Hamilton county. And price is a concern, so Mariemont is out of the question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 09:29 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
Actually, Lebanon also has an income tax. Most cities within Ohio do. There's is 1% I beleive. Monroe is also 1 or 1.5%. Cincinnati is 2%. Most townships do NOT have a tax.

So the trick is to live in the township, but within the school district of your choice.

For instance we are building within Turtle Creek Township, but will have a mailing address of Lebanon, schools of Lebanon. No income tax for us.

The property tax doesn't seem that high to me in Lebanon, as compared to WestChester or Mason - is it really higher?

Good luck in your choice.. the Lebanon area seems to be growing and to be a good bet for future value, but still affordable to get into.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:37 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Briolat, townships in Ohio cannot levy income taxes. Some school districts can, however, and if township residents reside in that school district, they must pay the income tax. Also, township residents working in a village or city that levies an income tax must pay the income tax levied by the village or city. If you work in Lebanon and live in Turtlecreek Township, you pay 1 percent of your income to Lebanon.

If you work in one city but live in another, most of the time the cities will reciprocate taxes. If you work in Batavia, which also has a 1 percent income tax, and live in Lebanon, you pay the 1 percent to Batavia but Lebanon forgives the 1 percent and you owe nothing. If you work in Lebanon and live in Cincinnati, 1 percent comes out of your paycheck to Lebanon, but Cincinnati wants you to pay the city the additional 1.1 percent (and sometimes they're quite nasty about it! LOL).

As for Lebanon's property taxes being high, they weren't that bad when I lived there, but that was many years ago! Most of the taxes go to the school and the county, and not to the city.

Turtlecreek Township will be a different story; because it has no income tax, it must levy property taxes to pay for services (streets, emergency services, etc.). You're still paying the same school and county property taxes as people in Lebanon in addition to the township-levied property taxes.

In other words, we pay one way or the other!

Old 02-01-2008, 04:10 PM

I'm sure I'm paying!! I haven't moved in yet, so I'll know more in tax time 2009, but from what I know right now my area will only have property taxes (moderately high), no income. So I guess they're taking out of property taxes to pay for schools, etc.. That is what I'm used to from MI.

I understand about where I work as well -- but right now where I work (westchester) is not levying an income tax on people who work there. So right now, no income tax for me.

The future may change that.

As you said, it all gets paid one way or the other ... I just know for me it was very suprising that the LITTLE cities in Ohio had income taxes. In MI for the most part only LARGE cities (i.e. Detroit) have income taxes.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:48 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,036,028 times
definatly would agree with milford,loveland,batavia(a little further out)....as well as most of the other suggestions posted here...but,after living in the area,....id also include the eastgate area(closest to 275)...as well as the anderson township area..also, dont forget about the mason area,tho its a little more x-pensiv,as far as houses go...just gotta look around and see which area suits you best...they're all nice..

Old 02-02-2008, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 6,144 times
Default overlooking Nky

Lisa- Good luck! people often overlook NKY area.!! Kenton, Campbel & BOOne counties. If yoiur working downtown Cincy you can be there within 10-15 minute from many NKY locations. Do you want to buy or rent?

Old 02-04-2008, 07:49 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
I understand about where I work as well -- but right now where I work (westchester) is not levying an income tax on people who work there. So right now, no income tax for me.
Yeah, West Chester isn't a city yet. TPTB keep trying, and the voters keep saying no.

Quote:
I just know for me it was very suprising that the LITTLE cities in Ohio had income taxes. In MI for the most part only LARGE cities (i.e. Detroit) have income taxes.
My sister lives in Ann Arbor, and I was stunned to find out there was no income tax! Just think of the $$ the city could make with even a teeny percentage off the university employees ... Especially considering the university owns a good hunk of the property in town and doesn't pay property tax on it.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:45 PM

I just moved here from AA!!! Nope, no income tax there yet -- they tried a couple of years ago, but it didn't go through!!

I will be hiding out here in the townships for a while if I can!!

Old 02-04-2008, 07:03 PM

21 posts, read 53,566 times
Monroe is a good town to live in. Still has that small town filling and located on 75. Can't beat it.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:00 PM

4 posts, read 17,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim hutchinson View Post
This looks like an interesting time for me to ask some questions of those of you that have posted some worthwhile comments above. From looking at a real estate sight, I have noticed some almost new homes in Mt Orab for attractive prices. I have no idea what Mr Orab is like, but I wonder how far I must travel to go to a hospital or fast food locations. If I wanted to join a health club, in what town would I have to travel to?
We will be driving out there next weekend for the Sectional Wrestling Tournament, so I can give you exact milage then. But, I can make "guestimates" right now. My son actually myspaces with a boy who goes to school out there, so I do have access to a little more info if you need it.

Hospital--Mercy Clermont is located on SR 32 The corridor that you would travel to Cincy daily, and I believe it's about 10-15 minutes from Mt. Orab.

For healthclubs, the Clermont County YMCA is very nice, and located near the hospital, but a bit closer to Mt. Orab than the hospital is.

Mercy hospitals are also in the process of adding a smaller urgent care type facility, (I don't believe it will be a full hospital) In Mt. Orab at one of the junctions with route 32.

A Walmart is being built there to open in 2009 I believe I was told. They have a Krogers, a Tire Discounters, a Comfort Inn--maybe Quality Inn--I can't remember the name.

As far as fast food, Arbys, Wendys, Subway, McDonalds, Skyline, and when we were out there in January, saw a sign at 68 & 32 where a building was being built that La Rosa's would be opening in March of this year.

As I said in my previous post, we go out there every year for a Wrestling Tournament, and everyone that I've met has been very nice, I explained it best with that "mayberry" feeling. This will be the first time we've went to a Sectional tournament there, and I'm looking forward to going back out there. The drive is nice, all 4 lane highway.

The school is a beautiful, very new, though I'm not sure how new.

I've been to Blanchester a couple of times, and it's OK, but I don't think as accessible to the ammenities that you want as Mt. Orab is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati