Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 07:17 PM

7 posts, read 16,173 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are both from Ohio (Cleveland for me, Columbus for him) and have been living in Washington DC since 2001 for his job. We have been anxiously awaiting a transfer back to Ohio considering all of our family is still there. We found out yesterday that we have a July report date in Cincinnati. We're excited, but other than realtor.com have no clue where to research the best place for us in our soon-to-be new OH location! We have two kids (4 and infant) and are looking to spend between 250k-325k. Obviously good schools are very important, but we'd also like some yard (since anyone from DC knows that the homes are so close together you can count the tiles in your neighbors shower from your own bathroom window...it's truly scary..) and a neighborhood with lots and lots of kids. We currently live on a street where there are 18 kids (no joke) and it's great knowing that we don't have to drive all over creation for playdates for the kids. So far we're considering Liberty Township, Monroe, Mason and Lebanon. From what I've heard it seems like the schools may be a tad better in Liberty Township than Monroe or Lebanon and that Mason schools are better than in any of the above cities....but which subdivisions are worth checking into? Anyone from any of these areas like I've described? We've looked briefly at Knolls of Liberty, Aspen Trails and Monroe Crossings but the only info this includes is location on a map and basic amenities included. I've also tried googling each individual town hoping for a site with some info about what's around (shopping, restaurants and some photos etc.) but haven't found much there either. I'm hoping I can do as much research as possible from here (DC) since we will only get 10 days for a house hunting trip and I don't want to waste a minute of it! I'd hate to use the time in subdivisions that don't really meet our needs and overlook a "gem" that maybe an ill-equiped realtor may not take us to. Wish we had family or friends in the area to help us out..but I figure this site may be just as good! Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 07:41 PM

710 posts, read 3,047,036 times
Mariemont is your best choice

Old 02-01-2008, 07:58 PM

Thanks jlrosen! I googled Mariemont (absolutely adorable, I must say!) but it looks like the homes in our price range are typically 3 bedroom (we have to have four since extended family would have to spend the night when visiting) and have only one garage (we need two, but three would be nice since we have two of our own and hubby will have an employee vehicle) All that said, I wish we could afford something to meet the above needs because the little "village" itself looks fantastic!!!
Thanks for the great info!

Old 02-01-2008, 08:00 PM

wyoming is the next best choice,

Old 02-01-2008, 08:05 PM

after that try to stay out of the exurbs. there is a direct correlation between the average population density of americans and the the age where organized sports begins. In the city, you never needed a baseball league because all the kids would just play together in the sandlot. If you have a hundred kids within a quarter mile, this can happen, but as people spread out into automobile dependent suburbs, the density decreases and children can no longer engage in spontaneous play. league start younger and younger. Parents, usually, mom, end up driving kids all over town to play with other kids.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:09 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,719,836 times
This might be better:

Travel & Relocation Assistance

Old 02-01-2008, 08:11 PM

additionally schools have become more and more segregated since 1986. In Brown v. Board of Education, 1954, they ended de jure segregation. From 1954-1986, the schools in america became more integrated, but from 1986-present, de facto segregation has increased the inequalities between students of different races. This needs to stop. The only way to do so is to end the arbitrary lines of school districts, funded by local property taxes and replace it with a funding system, and school system based on a per pupil method.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:13 PM

Good advice! I guess I have been spoiled where we live now because I never have to worry about a lack of friends to play with....although I realized the downside when looking into preschool two years ago and was told that in order for my kid to be "guaranteed a spot" I needed to have him enrolled in the 2 year-2 day program. Needless to say my little guy will have THREE years of preschool under his belt before beginning kindergarten! Sheesh! I didn't think that was possible!! I didn't know how long my husband would need to be in this area so, of course, I didn't want to struggle to get our son into kindergarten....I had to enroll him at 18 months in order to get him into the program that began at 28 months and pay almost 3k for the past two years just to ensure him a "spot" and here we are moving!! Is it not crazy?! If I remember correctly (and it was quite some time ago) kindergarten consisted of gluing paper, learning to use scissors correctly and eating "Green Eggs and Ham" while being read the book. How times have changed!

Old 02-01-2008, 08:13 PM

otherwise the segregationist aspects of the typical american suburb, limiting an geographical area by income level and therefore substantially limiting it by race will be able to continue indefinitely.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:18 PM

Anyone have any info about the communities listed in my original post? Knolls of Liberty? Aspen Trails?
Any subdivisions in Lebanon or Monroe that I should check into?
Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati