Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 09:42 PM

205 posts, read 983,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle2 View Post
I grew up in Silverton(5 minutes away from the Kenwood Mall) in the 1960s and I remember there was a Howard Johnson's near the interesection of Kenwood and Montgomery Rd(which is near I-71). And I'm not sure, but I think it was where Pep Boys is on Montgomery Rd.

And there was a Prime and Wine that burned down on the corner of Kenwood and Montgomery where Jared's Jewelery is now.

I grew up on Orchard Lane in Deer Park and spent a lot of time in that Howard Johnsons while in high school - mostly trying to wear the beer off by drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes until it was time for us to take the family car home.

Prime and Wine was across Montgomery Rd in front of Kenwood Mall. It wasn't there until around 1967, I think. I had my second real job at Shillitos that was located there. (My first was at Alber's in Kenwood Plaza).

The area just south of Montgomery Rd where I71 now exists used to be a kind of barren field that was called "the desert", BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 08:01 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
I believe HoJos was on the northeast corner of the Kenwood and Montgomery Rds intersection. This was prior to Pogue's building their parking garage. My favorite meal at HoJos was the fried clams, still don't know of a place which has better.

Across Montgomery on the souteast corner, the first Frisch dinner restaurant was Annette's, named after Dave Frisch's wife. When this restaurant burned down, it was replaced by Frisch's Prime & Wine. Several years later it also succumbed to fire and was not rebuilt. I remember the Prime & Wine sald bar very well, as I would make multiple trips.

When I was a young boy, we lived a couple of doors from Dave and Annette Frisch in Madeira. They later built a much larger house in Kenwood. Dave remembered his roots and was often at one of their original Big Boy restaurants, called the Mainliner, on Wooster Pike in Fairfax. He would drop in unexpectedly and man the grill. By the time they built Annette's, the Big Boy operation was large enough they ran their own commissary for food preparation to feed the stores. Since this involved processing of beef from sides, it was a natural process to cull some of the better cuts to provide steaks, etc. for the dinner restaurants. Also, back then, when they advertised the Brawny Lad as a steak sandwich, it was literally that, ground steak.

As you can tell, I have an affinity for Frischs. This is because when years ago my uncle's company, Taylor Tot in Norwood, for which he was a bookkeeper, announced they were moving down South, and he was basically out of a job. At a family function, a wedding, he related this to Dave Frisch who pronounced come to work for me. The whole story is long (remember a Frankie Boy in Lawrenceburg, Ind?), but I will shorten it to my Aunt & Uncle ended up with two Big Boy franchises in Washington Court House and Chillicothe Ohio.

I mentioned Taylor Tot in Norwood. Thie company was the premier manufacturer of kids tricycles in the country. First off, they were practically indestructible. This led to the creation of strollers and more moden kid conveyances. Taylor Tot was the best. I am going to start a separate thread on this subject.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:41 PM

14 posts, read 36,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I believe HoJos was on the northeast corner of the Kenwood and Montgomery Rds intersection. This was prior to Pogue's building their parking garage.
You know what? I kind of thought that HoJos was on the corner of K and M, but then I had thought that Pogues was always there. Thanks for clearing that up. Also, didn't Mabley's and Carew come after Pogues right? Or did M & C come before Pogues?

Quote:
Across Montgomery on the souteast corner, the first Frisch dinner restaurant was Annette's, named after Dave Frisch's wife. When this restaurant burned down, it was replaced by Frisch's Prime & Wine. Several years later it also succumbed to fire and was not rebuilt. I remember the Prime & Wine sald bar very well, as I would make multiple trips.
I had almost forgot about Annette's. Thanks for mentioning that. Also, all those 'mysterious' fires at that same location.

Quote:
When I was a young boy, we lived a couple of doors from Dave and Annette Frisch in Madeira. They later built a much larger house in Kenwood. Dave remembered his roots and was often at one of their original Big Boy restaurants, called the Mainliner, on Wooster Pike in Fairfax. He would drop in unexpectedly and man the grill. By the time they built Annette's, the Big Boy operation was large enough they ran their own commissary for food preparation to feed the stores. Since this involved processing of beef from sides, it was a natural process to cull some of the better cuts to provide steaks, etc. for the dinner restaurants. Also, back then, when they advertised the Brawny Lad as a steak sandwich, it was literally that, ground steak.

As you can tell, I have an affinity for Frischs. This is because when years ago my uncle's company, Taylor Tot in Norwood, for which he was a bookkeeper, announced they were moving down South, and he was basically out of a job. At a family function, a wedding, he related this to Dave Frisch who pronounced come to work for me. The whole story is long (remember a Frankie Boy in Lawrenceburg, Ind?), but I will shorten it to my Aunt & Uncle ended up with two Big Boy franchises in Washington Court House and Chillicothe Ohio.

I mentioned Taylor Tot in Norwood. Thie company was the premier manufacturer of kids tricycles in the country. First off, they were practically indestructible. This led to the creation of strollers and more moden kid conveyances. Taylor Tot was the best. I am going to start a separate thread on this subject.
Thanks for sharing that, kjbrill. Interesting information. Also, I really don't know anything about Lawrenceburg, IN.

Also, didn't just about all neighborhoods have a Frisch's Big Boy in them at one time? I know that Silverton had one on the corner of Montgomery Rd and Hampton Dr where the carwash is now.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:14 PM

16 posts, read 72,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franke01 View Post
I grew up on Orchard Lane in Deer Park and spent a lot of time in that Howard Johnsons while in high school - mostly trying to wear the beer off by drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes until it was time for us to take the family car home.
Small World. I grew up over on Redmont.

Obviously by my screen name I now live down south....way down south. I would love to eat my way from end of Cincinnati to the other. I don't care how far I travel away, one thing I can say about Cincinnati is they know their food!

Old 06-13-2011, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 10,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryart1 View Post
early 60's,,,there was also Mills with a windmill sign...it was smorgasboard..great for kids....& an long lost Italian place called Valerios
Larry, I vividly remember Valerios because that was my mother's family restaurant. It was on the second floor above a bar and Ted Kluzewskis Steak House was next door. It was later taken over by the Masionette. Every time I pass by the empty building, I remember how may hours I spent looking down from that balcony onto all the people on the street below. When I was a child, people really dressed up to go downtown. I remember thinking how elegant everyone looked. They closed, I believe in July of '65 - maybe '64. The artist, Charlie Harper, did the menu cover art for them when he was in art school. Every visiting celebrity came in the place. My mother still gets a Christmas card from Larry Storch. My mother had 3 sisters who ran the place after my grandparents died. None of them had children. I think if we had been a lot older and shown any interest in running a restaurant, they would have attemped to relocate. So glad someone remember Valerios.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:44 PM

205 posts, read 983,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiloxiBelle View Post
Small World. I grew up over on Redmont.

Obviously by my screen name I now live down south....way down south. I would love to eat my way from end of Cincinnati to the other. I don't care how far I travel away, one thing I can say about Cincinnati is they know their food!
Did you live there before or after Kenwood Beverage Stop near the intersection of Orchard and Kenwood Rd?

I still have one of their squishy little plastic coin holders around here somewhere.

LOL

Old 06-14-2011, 11:09 AM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
A restaurant that I thought was long gone is still up and running. Maury's Tiny Cove on Harrison is just like it was back in 1969. Like walking through a time warp!

Old 06-15-2011, 07:14 AM

16 posts, read 72,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franke01 View Post
Did you live there before or after Kenwood Beverage Stop near the intersection of Orchard and Kenwood Rd?

I still have one of their squishy little plastic coin holders around here somewhere.

LOL
franke, typed a reply to you. A loooong reply. I got to looking around before I posted it and found your thread about Kenwood Plaza. My answer is so long and branches way off from restaurants that I posted my reply to you in your Kenwood Plaza Thread.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:55 PM

311 posts, read 466,986 times
My mother talks about a restaurant in Cincinnati, guess it was around 1946. The Purple Cow...any one remember it?

Old 07-23-2011, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 10,833 times
My Dad used to take me to Mackleburgs, when I was about 6, like 70 years ago, and I distinctly remember a horse betting room in the back!!
Also, learned to drink wine, or , rather, how not tgo drink wine in Silverton's Meier's Wine Cellar.
Fave cincy eateries were Zinos, Frisches,Graeters, Camp Washinton Chili Parlor,The Clifton Cocktail Bar, ( The CB), and of course,.... Skyline !

Bob Kelley, Withrow '53, UC '58... now in Michigan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati