Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 09:18 PM

185 posts, read 458,749 times

Advertisements

Welcome Shoesx,so glad you found the thread.that was a very heartfelt post.We all feel the same as you do about the manor.I left the manor in `58,you didn`t say how long you lived there or where.My family was scattered ,two brothers lived on Strathmore ,one sister lived on Shelborne and my sister & I lived with our parents on Eastwood .
You are so right about it being a sweeter and simpler time of our lives.Lots of wonderful memories.A.F.D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 09:19 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,635,320 times
Hi Shoesx! Welcome and nice to have you join the thread! WHere did you live in the Manor? We're looking forward to hearing about some of your recollections of the place. I agree, it is indeed a great surprise here. Where did you live in the Manor?

- NightBazaar

Old 04-16-2009, 10:12 PM

325 posts, read 1,125,096 times
Shoesx, Welcome in The Pratt family lived next to us...they lived in a bungalow in our courtyard. Jerry had 2 sisters, Judy & Sandy. I was good friends with Sandy. I email jerry every once in a while through clasmates. He has been in some bad health.
I think the mother worked at RCA and Dad ran or owned a bar .When you lived in the manor do you remember what street you lived on or your address? We all on here really like to know these things.LOL I just thought that it might be possible that if you were friends with Jerry then you might know my brother, how old would Jerry be? Come back in and share with us somemore. Hyden

Old 04-16-2009, 10:48 PM

25 posts, read 65,020 times
I dont remember the address but I know I turned left or west off Redbank Rd, there was an empty field to the north or directly off our street. Jerry should be around my age. Im 59 now. I hope the best for him. He was a small fellow. I often wondered about him. What was the name of your brother? I lived on Conover St. right up the street from Madisonville Elementary. Jerry and I and friends went through some tough and enlighting times back then. I always hoped he and Carl Lucas, Fred Schmaltz and some of the pretty girls who put up with us did well.Leaving at the time I did has left me without the benefit of sharing memories with friends over the years, therefore my memory is not that great. But reading these post has gotten this old brain reved up. Hyden, my mother worked at RCA also. They made tubes at that time. God I guess were old. Im Don Fields from Madisonville. I hope I know your brother and I hope I havent scared off any members.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoesx View Post
I dont remember the address but I know I turned left or west off Redbank Rd, there was an empty field to the north or directly off our street.

I hope I havent scared off any members.

Sounds like the field was from the farm that was there. There used to be a pond on the east side of it.

You haven't scared anyone off. We're all interested about the place and the people who lived there. I lived in the Manor on Kingsley Drive for about 4 years in the mid-50s. I've thought about the place and the people I knew all these years. I often wonder about them.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:13 AM

Hey NightBazaar. By the time I moved in there I believe the place was going down hill. But the apartments were still up to snuff and were decent to live in. I bought the house on Conover St. from my mother in 71 or 72 so I didnt live there long. You could tell the Manor was special though. I guess the best way to describe was it had a " young energy " to it. I worked at GE at the time. We had a long
strike , my eldest was born then.. I always felt my family was secure there though. It was the beginning of my adult life.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:55 AM

325 posts, read 1,125,096 times
Shoesx, My brother passed away in 03, his name was Charles Hyden Jr. everybody called him Jr., he was short and stocky built..today he would be 59 too. If you go to page 31 and look at those school pictures then the one that is 6th grd you will see Jerry front 6th over from the right and Jr is front 2nd from the right. Also in the 5th grd picture they are both in the front sitting on the ground, Jr. is first from the left and Jerry is the third one. You may see others that look familiar, I hope you do.
Hyden

Old 04-17-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoesx View Post
Hey NightBazaar. By the time I moved in there I believe the place was going down hill. But the apartments were still up to snuff and were decent to live in. I bought the house on Conover St. from my mother in 71 or 72 so I didnt live there long. You could tell the Manor was special though. I guess the best way to describe was it had a " young energy " to it. I worked at GE at the time. We had a long
strike , my eldest was born then.. I always felt my family was secure there though. It was the beginning of my adult life.

Before I found this thread via Google, I discovered the Manor no longer existed. A number of members here indicated that the place had sadly become run down toward the end and certain types of crime became more frequent.

When we left the Manor though, around 1958 or 1959, it was still in good shape, and I had to leave behind so many great friends. My own memories of the time I lived there was it was a safe, excellent place to live, neighbors who were truly friendly and helpful, and loads of fun and adventure to be found. It was an important experience in my life that I'll always treasure.

I'm really impressed with this thread and all the people here who also lived at and have so many memories of the Manor.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:08 PM

Hyden That could very well be him. We met in our teen years. I think he lived in Madisonville on Madison Rd when I left Cincy. Since I met the kids from Eastwood only later at Lyon Ill have to study the pictures. I went to Madisonville Elementary.Thank you.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:36 PM

31 posts, read 227,939 times
Default I Was A Stratford Manor Kid Too!

Hello, I was there from Mar 56 to Oct 57 but I was very young. I was almost 3yrs old when we moved there and only 4 1/2 when we left. However I do have a few specific memories of our apartment, the playground where I almost broke my arm falling off the slide and the shopping center. We lived at 4975 Apt A on Strathmore near the west end where it dead-ended into the woods. I remember playing in those woods and getting into trouble for not having permission from Dad. I've read all the posts to this site and enjoyed it very much. The kids I played with the most were David & Lolly Hakala. I remember their dad had a goiter on his neck. My sister and I were also friends with Teresa and Susan Mobley. I have about 6 pics from Stratford Manor to post but for now I'm just going to post the one of the shopping center. More to follow. I also have a number of pics from a 1957 visit to the old Peewee Valley Amusement Park on Hwy 42 near Reading which was on the north side of Cincy. Does anyone remember that place?
Attached Thumbnails
1950's-1970's Stratford Manor & Eastwood Village-stratford-manor-shopping-center.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati