Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 03:36 PM

7 posts, read 22,078 times

Advertisements

David Doerr, 'Somebody's Mom', almost looks like mine, Leona Sanders, but it's hard to tell. We lived at 5390 Eastwood Dr. from about 1954-1960. Great pics. I'm trying to get mine together to put on here. Buckeye54
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 03:39 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
We're looking forward to seeing your treasures Buckeye!

Old 04-21-2009, 08:14 PM

325 posts, read 1,124,319 times
Buckeye 54, I am looking forward to all your pictures Just like when I spoke with David , alot of the things in the background of the pictures also is great. Just like in the picture with the mother and little girl on the back porch , thats my fan in that kitchen window !! I wonder about the bikes under the window , maybe my brothers or their friends. This whole thing is just too much fun but only because of everyone's input.
Hyden

Old 04-21-2009, 09:11 PM

31 posts, read 227,832 times
Right-O Hyden! - There were a lot of cars in the backgrounds of some of the outdoor pics I posted. Perhaps somebody will one day say "Hey, that was our car!!"
Buckeye54 - It's always good to go back and look at these old pics again because it's easy to miss something in the background. Heck, the first time I went through the old family photo album I entirely missed the most important picture in there....the one of me trick-or-treating with Hyden's brother Ronnie. I was so busy looking for exterior shots of Stratford Manor that I missed it!

Old 04-22-2009, 04:58 PM

Hyden - Just got off the phone with my Dad. He said he remembered that Burnis Mobley's husband's name was Sparky and that he was a USMC recruiter. My dad also said when he first moved us into Stratford Manor he was a little ticked about having to live in an apartment complex. He said it was so nice there that he soon changed his mind. He also said when we moved in there in 1956 rent was $85.00 per month.

First he said he didn't remember anything, then suddenly he remembered all the above. Tomorrow who knows? LOL! He battling bone cancer right now so it's amazing that he remembered anything about those times so long ago.

Attached is a picture of my mom and dad showing what they looked like at the time we lived at Stratford Manor. The picture was taken at my grandmother's.

The other picture is of me in my first car which I used to ride all over my little area of Stratford Manor and west about a half block on Strathmore to where it dead-ended at the woods. This pic was taken in 1956 a few weeks before we moved to Stratford Manor.
Attached Thumbnails
1950's-1970's Stratford Manor & Eastwood Village-mom-dad.jpg   1950's-1970's Stratford Manor & Eastwood Village-davids-first-car-1956.jpg  

Old 04-23-2009, 09:37 PM

Daivd, That is such a nice picture, as were all of them. I found out from A.F.D. that the flowers in the intersections were Red Canna's . I looked them up and they grow to be 3 to 4 ft. tall. Ronnie kept telling me that they were tall red flowers. I would like to try to plant some, or have the hubby plant some because I have no green thumb.

David, I was thinking that maybe we could luck out and some of those other children might get on here and give some more information and more pictures. In the picture of the pool fun is the backside of apts across the alley, A girl I was good friends with lived there and I believe her name was Debbie Williams and her mother Mrs. Stone. I would love to find them. David don't be a stranger and I will be looking for more blogs.
Hyden

Old 04-24-2009, 03:02 PM

Hyden - I didn't know anyone else in Stratford Manor other than those I've already mentioned. I remember driving with my parents into downtown Cincy in a Studebaker which was our car when we lived there. I remember going up to the top of Carew Tower, to the train station on the west side, to Coney Island, to the zoo....always in that 52 Studebaker. I remember dad washing that car every Saturday out in front of our apartment at Stratford. I found two pics of it that were taken right after they got it, about 4 months before I was born. I remember thinking how drab it looked compared to all those newer cars I saw at Stratford Manor. It had an AM radio but no A/C and no automatic transmission either! I remember I could open up those vents seen in the second picture and outside air would come inside down by my feet as soon as the car started moving. Dad traded it in on a new 1957 Ford Fairlane after we moved from Stratford Manor to Terre Haute.
Attached Thumbnails
1950's-1970's Stratford Manor & Eastwood Village-52-studebaker-1.jpg   1950's-1970's Stratford Manor & Eastwood Village-52-studebaker-2.jpg  

Old 05-01-2009, 07:47 AM

Default Hey Everybody

Hello All, I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of Swifton Village or Canerbury apartments. My brother said these were built about the same time as the Manor and I think by the same people. He said they were very simular. Hyden

Old 05-01-2009, 07:43 PM

185 posts, read 458,516 times
Ok Ok,where is everyone?I`m lonely,LOL

Old 05-02-2009, 08:45 PM

25 posts, read 64,992 times
Hey A.F.D Im still here. I just cant help much. Man Ill tell you though looking at some of those pictures from david doerr sure take me back. The old cameras had their own style and some of those before enlarging could have passed for pictures of my childhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati